SRT10 Forum banner

How To: Sunroof drain cleaning

29K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Campswampy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres what I usually do..
Grab a beer or two and take my shoes off (clean socks are recomended) and open the sun roof, stand on the seats with my upper half sticking out. (do this in the driveway, never on the freeway) and clean the channels and all the areas in the sunroof cavity real good... get all the dead leaves, bugs and homeless people out of there.
With the doors open grab a measuring up or a water bottle (anything you can pour water slowly and controlled with) and pour water through the drain holes while observing the drain points by the doors. (black rubber grommet looking things near the hinges). The water should drain freely. If water doesnt drain out then you have an obstructed drain tube. Get yourself an air compressor and blow some air through the clogged tubes from the bottom up. Dont go all crazy with the PSI, your not trying to inflate the Goodyear Blimp, just trying to blow out whatever you got jammed in there. Do the water test again, if its still not draining try blowing it out from the top down and re-test.
Keeping the sunroof area clean from debris will help keep your sunroof from leaking so dont be affraid to get up in there with a shop vac and your wifes toothbrush to keep it clean (dont use your own toothbrush cause you gotta put that thing in your mouth and thats just gross).
Finish off the rest of your beers and be sure to laugh at all the jokers who get dripped on when it rains for not spending the 10 min cleaning their drain tubes.

See less See more
Reactions: SoCal Cuda
#2 ·
I had this problem and did something really similar - although I wanted to use the XWife's toothbrush it wasn't available. Did drink a few beers when finished though. I think every How To writeup should include a few beers as the necessary tools. Can we make this a forum rule?

#4 ·
alcoholic beverage of choice????

#5 ·
For every beer you don't drink while following a write-up, I'm going to drink two. Don't make me make it three!!

#6 ·
Does you're wife read the posts you put on here? If so you may be in trouble next time she cleans the toilet!!

Ian.

#7 ·
Lol I did not take that into consideration, I may have to revise my write up lol

#8 · (Edited)
Interesting to see a post on this since I unfortunately just had all kinds of water issues which resulted in the carpets having to be replaced. Anyway, I would just like to add some additional info to this, as cleaning the drains is very good advice. There are also drains in the rear. If you look between your bed and rear of the truck cab you will see two little tubes sticking out. These are the exits for the rear drains. If they are clogged the only real way to get at them is to drop the headliner. Not very difficult to do you just have to take some stuff apart. Remove seatbelt bolts, pull out coat hooks, remove grab handles, front and rear, remove front A pillar trim, remove sun visor screws, unplug sun visor, remove sun visor hooks, remove trip computer screw in rear near windshield, pull on both sides of trip computer to release retaining tabs and unplug the molex connectors, remove all of the trim pieces, where the seatbelts were. When all the trim is removed simply pull down the headliner, it is held up by velcro around the sunroof opening. Also disconnect the rear light connector between the coat hooks. You can also disconnect the third brake light connector, I don't think you have though if you just rest the headliner on top of the seats. Also check the third brake light seal for leaks, they are prone to leak. You will now see 4 blue tubes, when the headliner is down, coming out of each corner of the sunroof. Pull the black rubber connector off. If you blow in the tube and hear whistling sound it is clear, if not it needs to be blown out.

When water testing the sunroof (closed) you should only see drips coming out of the drain tubes. If you see alot of water then check the seal. Do this by taking a business card and sliding it between the seal and sheetmetal opening. You should have slight resistance when you remove the card. If there is little or no resistance you need to adjust the sunroof by pulling the accordion black fan look thing (mechanism cover) and then loosen the attaching screws, two on each side. If only one side is bad then adjust that by loosening the two screws and then slide the sun roof forward or back until the seal gives some resistance on the business card.

I learned this the hard way and $600 in new carpet. Hopefully someone else will read this and not have too.

#11 ·
Heres what I usually do..
Grab a beer or two and take my shoes off (clean socks are recomended) and open the sun roof, stand on the seats with my upper half sticking out. (do this in the driveway, never on the freeway) and clean the channels and all the areas in the sunroof cavity real good... get all the dead leaves, bugs and homeless people out of there.
With the doors open grab a measuring up or a water bottle (anything you can pour water slowly and controlled with) and pour water through the drain holes while observing the drain points by the doors. (black rubber grommet looking things near the hinges). The water should drain freely. If water doesnt drain out then you have an obstructed drain tube. Get yourself an air compressor and blow some air through the clogged tubes from the bottom up. Dont go all crazy with the PSI, your not trying to inflate the Goodyear Blimp, just trying to blow out whatever you got jammed in there. Do the water test again, if its still not draining try blowing it out from the top down and re-test.
Keeping the sunroof area clean from debris will help keep your sunroof from leaking so dont be affraid to get up in there with a shop vac and your wifes toothbrush to keep it clean (dont use your own toothbrush cause you gotta put that thing in your mouth and thats just gross).
Finish off the rest of your beers and be sure to laugh at all the jokers who get dripped on when it rains for not spending the 10 min cleaning their drain tubes.
Only flaw i see in your hilarious article is the toothbrush, next time you kiss your wife, same thing, use your best friends brush 😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.