Sct Tuners Question... - Page 4 - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum

post #31 of 34 Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
RapidRonnie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRacer View Post
Bummer there's no real way to cheat. Best driver's gonna win this one. I've got zero drag racing experience, but decent reflexes... took a Trans Am to Detroit dragway once, but rained before I could run.

Thanks for the help Ronnie...
Tom-

Just relax and have fun. Some people seem to like to get all wired and let their adrenalin take over. I get the best results if I just relax and concentrate. With that said, its kind of like golf. Sometimes it is hard to get it right in spite of your best efforts. Use the force or whatever works for you and best of luck. Empty your bladder BEFORE you stage. Aughhh..outside the truck..

Watch the track official signals. You can do a little burnout if you like. I like to do that in MANUAL LOW or first gear which is the strongest circuit for the tranny. After the burnout, you can shift into Drive and start to come up to the line. Make sure you are actually in Drive and not in between gears with no indicators lit.
After you light the Pre-Staged bulbs, the "polite" thing to do is let the other guy light his. If however he is waiting for you and has his lit, creep up to the line and light yours. He will then light the staged bulbs and so will you. At that point you are both ready to go.
Shut off your A/C and/or your defroster which of courses uses your a/c compressor.

Some guys will tell you to shut the O/D off. I've raced both ways and it hasn't made a bit of difference in my truck.

Anyway, you will be launching BEFORE it goes green. I normally launch when either the second yellow goes out or when the 3rd yellow lights, depending on track conditions, power of vehicle, traction and a bunch of other factors. Have a look at the real thing on my vimeo video under "STATS" in my sig and use that to practice if you like. That is the Sportsman tree and the lights are 1/2 second apart.
The reaction time in that video shows a 2.26 reaction time which is actually a .226 reaction time or just under a 1/4 of a second which is kind of sleepy and normally my wife cuts a better light than that. Of course, if she had taken off less than 1/4 of a second sooner, she would have Redlit and lost. The "over confident" guy with the black Mercury Marauder in the other lane didn't know what him him anyway...

If it was a REAL race with something competitive, we would have been in trouble sleeping at the tree like that. A 0.00 is a perfect light and you will see them once in a while. I think I had one once. Sometimes people get confused at the test and tunes and will sit there for SECONDS. Regardless, the lanes are independently timed so the clock doesn't start counting until you break the beam and actually go so even if you cut a really bad light, it won't effect your E.T. or M.P.H..

With street tires you may have to launch on the 2nd yellow..

Here is something else you can practice with: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtreesp.html although it is kind of hard to see.

Ronnie

2005 N.A. Quad Cab

STRIKER HEADS, Better Transmission, Converter, Valve-Body, Block, Injectors, Crank, Rods, Roller-Cam, Pistons, Pins, Main Caps, Rings, Oiling System, Fasteners, Intake, Bearings and Exhaust than before.
FSTJACK Hand-Ported Throttle Body.
One new valve cover.
20 new lifters

AND:
Heavy-Duty (Rebuilt O.E.M.) Power Steering Lines that REALLY DON'T LEAK !

= 5600 pounds and somewhere in the 11s..

Last edited by RapidRonnie; 05-31-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM
JTS Venom Performance
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Bummer there's no real way to cheat. Best driver's gonna win this one. I've got zero drag racing experience, but decent reflexes... took a Trans Am to Detroit dragway once, but rained before I could run.

Thanks for the help Ronnie...
quit worrying dud, I will get you hooked up at the track

we are having a powder puff class remember? LOLOL

WWW.JTSVP.COM
email tony@jtsvp.com
phone 704-234-7598
PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE SRT10 FORUM
we let our customers do the talking
FL06SRT 480RWHP NA!
MIDNIGHT RUNNER 520RWHP NA!

"Developer of Ram SRT performance"04 black srt10, 04 red srt10,04 silver srt10, 08 black srt8
post #33 of 34 Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM
SpudRacer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRonnie View Post
Here is something else you can practice with: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtreesp.html although it is kind of hard to see.

Ronnie

First try, I cut a 0.843. Second try 0.500. I believe that was perfect? Third try, red light. Both my fourth and fifth try were 0.514, and 0.561. I believe I've got the timing for this tree down OK.

How close is this to the real thing??

Tom

2005 "Yellow Fever" #285 Quad-cab

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Quote by Jim Elliott

post #34 of 34 Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
RapidRonnie

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

First try, I cut a 0.843. Second try 0.500. I believe that was perfect? Third try, red light. Both my fourth and fifth try were 0.514, and 0.561. I believe I've got the timing for this tree down OK.

How close is this to the real thing??

It is a Sportsman's tree so it is .500 seconds between lights. just like the real thing. You WILL want to leave before the last yellow lights on street tires. Some trial and error will be needed. \\Just go have some fun...

2005 N.A. Quad Cab

STRIKER HEADS, Better Transmission, Converter, Valve-Body, Block, Injectors, Crank, Rods, Roller-Cam, Pistons, Pins, Main Caps, Rings, Oiling System, Fasteners, Intake, Bearings and Exhaust than before.
FSTJACK Hand-Ported Throttle Body.
One new valve cover.
20 new lifters

AND:
Heavy-Duty (Rebuilt O.E.M.) Power Steering Lines that REALLY DON'T LEAK !

= 5600 pounds and somewhere in the 11s..

Last edited by RapidRonnie; 05-31-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement