SRT10 Forum banner

Broken/cracked Brake Caliper piston

27K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  melansonc98 
#1 ·
Just wonder if anyone has an opinion: I brought my 2005 SRT-10 Truck to an NTB shop to have the brake pads replaced. My only symptoms were squeaky brakes. Several hours later they called to tell me that I had a cracked piston in my rear caliper. I told them to go ahead and fix it. Later that evening my son went in to pick up the truck and they told him they were unable to get the part. They said to take the truck but I should get the piston replaced as soon as possible. He took the keys and left the truck in their lot figuring on picking me up so we could get the truck. When we got there it was after hours and when I got in my truck the brake pedal went to the floor. Then I noticed brake fluid all over the ground next to my rear wheel. Needless to say I left the truck. When I came back this morning, they apologized and said they "didn't realize" it was leaking that badly. They proceeded to tell me that the piston was already cracked when they started the work and during the process of replacing the pads it must have gotten worse. Does this sound credible? I will take a look at the caliper after the new part comes in tomorrow, but not sure how to prove that they cracked it. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Hey mridude, I have had issues with the pistons in our calipers myself, they are easily damaged as they are made of ceramic.

There is no way to tell if it was already cracked or not you are just going to have to go with it and hope they are being truthful!!

Tony at jtsvp a vendor on this site sells rebuild kits for the calipers at a good price.

Make sure plenty of copper grease is applied to the back of the new brake pads as that is the only way I have found to stop the squeak!!!!

Hope this might be helpful.

Ian.

#4 ·
pistons are not metal, and to crack one takes a pretty good whack, when we rebuild the calipers sometimes we have to break out the old piston, its not an easy job to say the least, there pretty tough, but no not metal

#6 ·
Phenolic pistons

The cause of overheated, squealing brakes is not about the rotors or the pads. These brakes are larger than most 1 ton trucks, and should NEVER overheat or squeal. The problem originates in their use of phenolic caliper pistons. These pistons SWELL inside the caliper bore, and hold the pads from releasing.
My truck was laboring up the freeway, feeling like the e-brake was half on. When I pulled into the shop, I jacked it up, opened the bleeder to make sure no pressure was built up. and the wheel required huge effort to rotate.
This means the pistons are holding on the pads.
I am retrofitting chrome steel pistons into my calipers, and will let you know how well they work.
I see a huge improvement in speed and performance of the truck itself, along with a marked improvement in gas mileage.

#7 ·
I am really interested in a chrome/steel piston alternative. baring that rockauto sells the caliper/ pistons and pads in the kit at a reasonable price.

The cause of overheated, squealing brakes is not about the rotors or the pads. These brakes are larger than most 1 ton trucks, and should NEVER overheat or squeal. The problem originates in their use of phenolic caliper pistons. These pistons SWELL inside the caliper bore, and hold the pads from releasing.
My truck was laboring up the freeway, feeling like the e-brake was half on. When I pulled into the shop, I jacked it up, opened the bleeder to make sure no pressure was built up. and the wheel required huge effort to rotate.
This means the pistons are holding on the pads.
I am retrofitting chrome steel pistons into my calipers, and will let you know how well they work.
I see a huge improvement in speed and performance of the truck itself, along with a marked improvement in gas mileage.

#9 · (Edited)
Phenolic pistons convert to steel dragging pads

Yes! I was finally able to find steel caliper pistons, and they had to be modified further for the boot groove. After the installation with new pads and rotors, the brakes spin free. NO squealing! It also features a more aggressive stop and feels like an extra 1 mpg was picked up.
I can provide rebuild services and/or a complete kit with the drilled rotors, pads, and your calipers sent in.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Steel caliper piston conversion

I drove it for a week in work traffic, then to San Francisco, another 800 miles, for a total of 1100 miles, Very LITTLE brake dust on the wheels. I am trying to upload more photos, including the finished install with the new cross drilled rotors, but I have exceeded my file limit. I'll try again later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.