SRT10 Forum banner

Rear Leaf Springs/lowering

28K views 70 replies 12 participants last post by  ViperJeff 
#1 ·
I'm researching different ways to lower my reg cab srt. I don't like the idea of blocks, and my experiences with leaf-sprung jeeps makes me un easy about using shackles. I'd really just like to find a nice set of 2" lowering leafs. The only ones I can find are for like 3.5-4". As I started thinking about it though, I'm wondering what the difference is between the springs on the srt-10 and the regular ram. Because the stock reg. cab is supposed to sit around 2" lower in the rear than regular 1500, and I know that the srt already has the rear axle flipped. But when you read about after market flip kits, even with no shackles, just flipping the rear axle is supposed to give you anywhere from 4-5" of drop. Soo how does the stock reg cab srt-10 come from the factory with the rear axle flipped, but only sits 2" lower than a stock 1500? Something in the springs, spring hangers, or shackles has to be different than the regular 1500 springs. If it's in the springs, then the srt springs should be arched slighly more (more lift) than the regular 1500 springs, allowing for the spring flip, but only droping it 2". If this is the case, then stock 1500 leaf springs put on the reg. cab srt should lower it around 2", but I dont know. Does any one know for sure where the difference is??

Thanks!

#3 ·
He's also really good at getting back to you if you leave a VM and ask a question while he's sleeping. He has no real business hours, he's more of a 24/7 kind of guy. I still haven't figured out if he ever sleeps. So if you call at 2 am and he picks up the phone, don't be surprised.

:D

#5 ·
seems to play with his balls way too much,why he has to tell me this i have no clue!

#10 ·
I'm confused on how blocks are going to lower the rear of my truck. I went to Roe's web site over the weekend, and saw a kit that lowers the front 1" and the rear 2". I'd consider this kit, but if my axle sit BELOW the springs, where/how are blocks going to lower it? Any blocks would raise it... or am I missing something?

#11 ·
The block goes between the spring and the axle, raising the axle up off the spring, thus lowering the rear end. The spring being attached to the truck is now lower to the ground, making the rear of the truck lower

hope that helps, I have pictures, just not at work

#12 ·
No, that doesn't help at all. Again, unless my eyes/memory deceive me, my axle tubes sit UNDER the leaf springs. So putting a block between them is going to RAISE my leafs and push the back end up even higher. My axle tubes are not under the springs. Either that, or I need to hook up with Dan for some of the hard stuff, cause my brain is broken. If he can be this sharp drinking as much as he does, then I may be missing something...

(Don't tell Dan, but these jibes are actually a psychological test to see if he gets offended about his drinking. Those with drinking problems tend to get offended when others talk about their drinking. Those without a problem will likely bring the topic up themselves. But again, don't tell Dan or this experiment will be ruined... it'll be our secret!)

#13 ·
you're an idiot....your brain is broken...plain and simple...i just wanted to see if you get offended:D :D

the axle sits on TOP of the leaf...if you put a block between the two, then the leaf stays in the same place, but the axle is raised (technically) closer to the wheel wells...therefore...in essence...LOWERING the truck...

and guess what...i'm drinking...surprise...:D :D

and i don't get offended....i drink more...i don't have a problem drinking....i have a problem peeing so much:mad: damnit....

#15 ·
no...you were right...basically...

The block goes between the [leaf] spring and the axle, raising the axle up off the [leaf] spring, thus lowering the rear end. The spring being attached to the truck is (in the same place, but the axle is higher ....)now [the truck] is lower to the ground, making the rear of the truck lower

see;)

#16 ·
Please see the latest picture I posted in my gallery, see the leaf spring sitting ON TOP of the axle?? OK, how are blocks going to lower my rear end???

#18 · (Edited)
OK, so does anybody know where I can buy the rear shackles? I only want a 1-2" drop in the rear. Think I need new shocks with only a 1-2" drop?

You know, I'd much rather have new leaf spring packs with the same ride, just lower, than to have the original ones "dearched".

#19 ·
all you need is shackles they usually drop from 1 to 1 1/2, tip dont tighten the bolts before you drop the truck down, boucne on it a couple times then tighten the bolts

another tip to make it level is to remove the overload spring if you dont haul much, it will make it level

but you would not need new shocks, the oem shocks will work just fine, plus they are bilsteins and you would have to spend over $100 to get a better shock

#20 ·
hahaha....and i'm the drunk....i forgot too, jeff...sorry tom:)....

i hereby retract my "idiot remark":sorry:
www.jtsvp.com....

they can hook you up...

great guys, great service, great parts...

#22 ·
Yes it will....

From what I understand, any lowering kit will have this affect. (one of the reasons I never did it). With that said, with the shackles, I understand that the change isn't severe enough to warrant realigning the angle (but feel free to do so)

#25 ·
I had a chance to talk briefly with Troy on the phone... very nice guy. I really appreciate and reward customer service like that. He was terrific.

#26 ·
Yea, I just had the Oil Lines put on yesterday, do it right the first time and you don't have to "Re-Fix" it.

And when you meet him in person he is even better! Looks like another customer for life.

#27 ·
Yea, I just had the Oil Lines put on yesterday, do it right the first time and you don't have to "Re-Fix" it.
Chief, does that mean Mopar screwed up the original design, or does it mean that it is easy to screw up putting on these new oil lines? Or both??!

#29 ·
Leaking Oil Lines is simply a matter of time, as Jeff just mentioned the original lines are crap. When they leak Dodge Dealer will replace with the same stuff. The one fix that will stay fixed is Tony's Lifetime Lines.

They are not too hard to put on and come with all the fittings needed. Quite frankly are about 1000 times better than the original... :)

#30 ·
only an idiot would put back stock lines;)....oh wait....:D...

they're crap, just like jeff said...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.