What kind of programmer to buy?? - Page 5 - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum

post #41 of 46 Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 PM
RapidRonnie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRacer View Post
So can I buy an SCT hand held tuner off ebay for the cheapest price I can find, then have DC Performance email me my tunes? Is that cheaper than buying the whole set-up from DC Performance? Will they do that
I paid full price for the SCT with tunes from KRC Performance. Those tunes didn't work out well for me so...
I switched the tuning chores over to DC for an additional $300.

2005 N.A. Quad Cab

STRIKER HEADS, Better Transmission, Converter, Valve-Body, Block, Injectors, Crank, Rods, Roller-Cam, Pistons, Pins, Main Caps, Rings, Oiling System, Fasteners, Intake, Bearings and Exhaust than before.
FSTJACK Hand-Ported Throttle Body.
One new valve cover.
20 new lifters

AND:
Heavy-Duty (Rebuilt O.E.M.) Power Steering Lines that REALLY DON'T LEAK !

= 5600 pounds and somewhere in the 11s..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
SpudRacer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRonnie View Post
Chief- I was able to resist for a while but the irresistible pull of locker room humor is trying to overtake me...

Aside from that, Boy George has a great voice.
Boy George has a great WHAT??!?!

Tom

2005 "Yellow Fever" #285 Quad-cab

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Quote by Jim Elliott

post #43 of 46 Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM
SpudRacer

Just got off the phone with Dan at DC Performance, and ordered an SCT tuner with three tunes, and a 170 degree thermostat. (stock, performance, and high octane for drag racing).

Should have the tuner by the end of the week. That is probably as far as I'll go with performance mods for now until I get beat in a race. There are a few cars around here that might take me, we'll see.

There's a modded Ford Lightning I saw a few weeks back, man, I hope to run into him...

Tom

Quote by Jim Elliott

post #44 of 46 Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM
RapidRonnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRacer View Post
Just got off the phone with Dan at DC Performance, and ordered an SCT tuner with three tunes, and a 170 degree thermostat. (stock, performance, and high octane for drag racing).

Should have the tuner by the end of the week. That is probably as far as I'll go with performance mods for now until I get beat in a race. There are a few cars around here that might take me, we'll see.

There's a modded Ford Lightning I saw a few weeks back, man, I hope to run into him...
Another good tune to have on stand-by is DC's Valet Tune. IF you ever have to leave your truck for any reason, it is great piece of mind to have that one installed. I have 13 or so tunes on my laptop that can easily be transferred into the SCT at any time.

The Lightnings are fun to race. Keep in mind they are 1000 pounds lighter than an SRT-10 Quad Cab. So that is roughly a 100 horsepower handicap for our trucks to overcome. MOST of the Lightnings around here have the regular bolt-on stuff and are competitive running 14 flat at our altitude. The 5.4L engine (1999-2004) isn't overly strong. That isn't a slam but my point is, IF a truck has been MODDED, MODDED, chances are it now has the strength to have more than the run of the mill power parts installed. So beware, they had a head-start on us...

Have fun,
Play safe.

Ronnie

2005 N.A. Quad Cab

STRIKER HEADS, Better Transmission, Converter, Valve-Body, Block, Injectors, Crank, Rods, Roller-Cam, Pistons, Pins, Main Caps, Rings, Oiling System, Fasteners, Intake, Bearings and Exhaust than before.
One new valve cover.
20 new lifters

AND:

Last edited by RapidRonnie; 08-24-2009 at 01:34 PM.
post #45 of 46 Old 08-24-2009, 01:44 PM
SpudRacer

We'll see... most around here are merely posers. They throw a loud exhaust on their otherwise stock trucks and cruise around town thinking they're "all that and more". That's why I hated the stock sound of my truck so much. When I drove through town, only the look of the truck would turn heads, it didn't sound strong unless I chirped the tires. I want it to sound strong, so I get mistaken for just another poser.

Then I'll have the chance to hand them their hat with a smile on my face. I so dislike posers...

I actually almost hope I get beat by the Lightning. That would give me the excuse I need to take performance to the next level. That would be lighter/stronger rods, forged pistons, stronger cam, the best heads money can buy, perhaps headers (mild gain??), higher flow throttle body, and probably a reduction pulley to slow the accessories down. That would be my stage II.

After that, if I still needed more power, I would have to go with a Paxton Novi SC with a huge custom made intercooler and water/methanol injection with maybe 8-10 pounds of boost max.

Beyond that, I guess I could consider a tricked out nitrous system. But I'm thinking it's gonna be a long time before someone forces my hand to stage II around these parts. This ain't LA. As I said, most are just posers. Did I mention how much hate posers???

Tom

Quote by Jim Elliott

Last edited by SpudRacer; 08-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
post #46 of 46 Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 PM
RapidRonnie

Sounds like you have a solid plan.

At my power level, I didn't even bother with rods and pistons and I don't think they are even needed with a naturally aspirated setup like mine (58,000+ miles on the engine now). As long as the tune is safe. Once that is nailed, just drive and enjoy it.

The trouble here is, I have never been one to leave something this much fun alone for very long...

2005 N.A. Quad Cab

One new valve cover.
20 new lifters

AND:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement