SRT10 Forum banner

Belt Squealing

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  mmmmtorque 
#1 ·
I took mine into the dealership last week for the serpentine belt squealing. The Service Mgr. @ Bankston Dodge in Irving,TX told me that the tensioner pulley was bad and they ordered a new one. Then 2days later they said that the new one was a completely different size than the one that was on the truck and the mounting hardware was different and they needed to order a bolt to mount it. 2 more days later they said that the harmonic balancer was bad and that the original tensioner pulley was fine and they had to order a new harmonic balancer. Finally, I picked it up yesterday and was told that the Harmonic balancer had backed off some and had caused the belt to be off-line from the other pulley's and so they just retightened it and put a new belt on. The truck has 10k miles on it and I have never heard of this happening to anyone else. Please let me know what your thoughts are and if I should be worried about any other kind of damage from the harmonic balancer being off track. Thanks for any input. Jay.

#4 ·
**** happens, I was talking to Sean @ Roe when they were setting up there SRT-10 Ram for the supercharger they found the pulley on the crank was missing bolts and the ones that remained were finger tight.!!! ;) So while we look and admire or trucks we should also check around. :D

#7 ·
womsterr said:
Whew..thats why i was actually pleased to have an Arrow rebuild. Of course I've been noticing a squeel lately. Silly me...I just thought it was a loose belt ;)
Wormsterr,
Do you have a link to Arrows website? Also have you tested the headers out yet?

#13 ·
Likestospeed said:
I am having minor squeal when the engine is cold, right after slow take of till about 5mph.. Anyone have any ideas what his could be?

Mine has developed the same thing...although I am noticing it some now even when I am driving..... I plan to take it in and have them check it out.

#16 ·
Marc T said:
Exact symtoms I had!!

OK, good reference....It does sound more like a bad pulley than just a normal belt slip. I will post the results after I visit the dealer...Had to go anyway to have them redo my oil change (another victim of the dealer 11 qt service) :mad:

beaver dam muther fudgers!

#17 ·
I remember a thread on this somewhere, maybe someone else knows. But seems like a few people had the belt squeal, and the lower pully was cracked. Now I didn't read this whole thread so if has allready been mentioned I aplogize, ya'll can call me dufus!!!!!! :D

#19 ·
i think my belt is screwed too, for the last week when i start the beast the belt squeaks for about 2 minutes, or until it heats up. I am taking this piece of crap back and trading it for a rumblebee!

F**K that just kidding i love this truck, am taking it to the shop tomorrow

#20 ·
mak9177 said:
i think my belt is screwed too, for the last week when i start the beast the belt squeaks for about 2 minutes, or until it heats up. I am taking this piece of crap back and trading it for a rumblebee!

F**K that just kidding i love this truck, am taking it to the shop tomorrow
Yeah you got the same thing I got, only mine has been doing it almost since I took delivery with less that a mile on the truck. Wish these fudgers cold get this right, it seems to be a pretty regular problem. Maybe a recall is in order.

#22 ·
Marc T said:
Try shooting a little WD40 on the pulley bearings. If the noise goes away you know it's the pulley! :D
Good idea. Thanks ;) I have an appt next tuesday am...If it acts up this weekend I may give it shot of wd40 to get a head start on tues.

#23 ·
Well, just got back from the dealer.....The pulley wasn't squealing today (figures) So the tech double checked the tensioners, pulleys and belt...Put on some belt dressing so if it makes any noise in the next few days I should know if its a pulley. (Will confirm with the WD-40 ;))

He did tell me that he has seen numerous problems with belts going bad and has contacted DC but hasn't heard anything back. (He is a Viper tech)

They did give me another free oil change (0w40) and changed the oil to the proper levels this time (8.7qts). (They gave me the remaining oil of the 9th quart :D ) The tech noted the change in required oil and promised it would never happen again. He was surprised that DC hadnt made any official notices to the techs in the field...Probably explains why so many folks are getting the 11 qt changes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.