Engine Lifter Noise - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum is our sister site dedicated to the Dodge Challenger. Visit today!
Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum Dodge Ram SRT-10 Header Right
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum > Dodge Ram SRT-10 Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Srt10Forum.com is the premier Dodge SRT10 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
06QC

Default Engine Lifter Noise

I have seen alot of threads on this subject before. What is going on with the lifter (ticking) noise that many, if not all, of us are hearing with our engines? The dealer says it is normal. Has anyone ever had this noise repaired? It just doesn't make sense with todays roller lifters that there should be any valve train noise at all. Mine seems to be coming from the left front of the engine.
06QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Sitedrifter

I think we all have. Mine does and so does 5 other SRT-10s I know have it. I like to think it is loose (lots of clearance) at idle so as to allow higher revs. Don't want a tight valve train at 550 rpms then expect it to scream at 6k. Wishful thinking? Maybe, maybe not.

Site
Sitedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
06QC

I'd like to think there is some simple explanation too, but the reality is different. Our engines have a pushrod type valvetrain. And because we are a V10 configuration, we are limited in RPM compared to a V8 or V6. I can't be a high RPM clearance issue. Maybe someone out there has actually had a Viper-tech diagnose this noise.
06QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
mauiSRT/10

I was told back in June of 04, this noise is normal for Viper motors. Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Dodge posted it back then when these trucks were new and lots of us were concerned about it.

patrick
#2370 of 3057

4.88's/ Caltracs/ DC Performance Stage II / 170` T Stat/Magnaflow/K&N CAI/Xmetal: TB, 1"/2" Drop, Catless Mids, Shifter/Centerforce Clutch w/Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel/Viper Master & Slave Cylinder kit/Raptor Shiftlite/Roe Racing Crankcase Breather/Black Depo LED Tails/Tinted Windows/MGW & Billet Creations Knobs, Levers, plate holders/Checkmate Soft Tonneau/Red Viper Fang Badges/BDIA Sequence Plates /Shaved all boring badges/Cool Blue interior cig light!

#88 Car
mauiSRT/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
silverqc

i ran 15 w 50 mobil on my last oil change i thought my lifter noise was gone till i took it to the dealer for my next oil change they put 0w40 back in it and now the tick is back would the oil make a any change in the tick
silverqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
HDVIPER

From what I understand guys, it's the injectors not the valve train. And it is completely normal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Black 04 SRT-10 #847 of 3057 Born on 2/11/04 w/ Bellanger Longtubes, High-Flow Cats & Magnaflow - Catback Exhaust, 170 Degree Thermostat, DC Stage I Flash, K&N Aircharger
Black 03 ZO6 (Stock... For Now)
Pearl White 05 Escalade (Commuter)
Black 06 CLS 55 AMG (Wifey's Car)

-Mike
HDVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
silverqc

mine seems to tick more after it heats up like the oil starts to thin out but i have heard it was injectors also no clue cant seem to find the truth but the 15w50 did seem to help or maybe it was just me wanting it to help
silverqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
HDVIPER

I know she sure seems to run faster when she's clean. Kinda like she's able to cut through the air better. LOL, could be all in the head bro. But I know my dad's viper has the same noise. Every viper engine I have heard has it...
Black 04 SRT-10 #847 of 3057 Born on 2/11/04 w/ Bellanger Longtubes, High-Flow Cats & Magnaflow - Catback Exhaust, 170 Degree Thermostat, DC Stage I Flash, K&N Aircharger
Black 03 ZO6 (Stock... For Now)
Pearl White 05 Escalade (Commuter)
Black 06 CLS 55 AMG (Wifey's Car)

-Mike
HDVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
GriMacE 06QuadSRT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVIPER
From what I understand guys, it's the injectors not the valve train. And it is completely normal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My '83 280ZX makes the exact same noise -- tick tick tick only faster - so does my SRTonly more ticks I checked into this ages ago since the Z has solid lifters and found the noise to be -- fuel injectors.

Apparently, (per the 2006 DR/DH Ram Truck Service Manual - Including SRT10 - page 9-2719) SRT10 Hydro lifters do not "normally" make noise unless your oil level is too high causing foaming and allowing the tappets to become soft and seat the valves noisily or your oil level is too low allowing the oil pump to take in air and feed it to the tappets, again, causing them to be soft and allow the valves to seat noisily. Air in the oil system will cause problems

anyway thats what the manual says

GriMacE
No Matter Where I Go, There I am

2006 QC Inferno Red SRT/10

Mods:
Borla Cat-Bak, K&N CAI, Other Go Fast Stuff,
Putco Mirror/Handle covers, Falken Ziex S/TZ04's on Triple chromed wheels

Options:
Moonroof, Nav w/6 disc changer, Side air bags, Polished rims now chromed

Detail Prods:
Groits/Pinnacle/Pro

Katie Couric to U.S. Marine sniper
"What do you feel when you kill a terrorist?"
Marine shrugs and says "Recoil"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
GriMacE 06QuadSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
fast fred

yea i was told the same thing the injectors are making a ticking noise .........
fast fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement