SRT10 Forum banner

New Meats. 385/35R24

45K views 65 replies 19 participants last post by  blazeman1 
#1 ·
Got the new tires in today and they are ENORMOUS. Most will think I am nuts but I can't live with this much power and these skinny &#$ tires. The problem is no one makes a wider 22 inch tire and moving to the 24 inch tire the sizes go from 305/40 to the monster 385/35. I did a little research before ordering them and knew they would be much wider and taller so now that they are here I am committed to making them fit. The truck goes into a chassis shop next week to get the suspension moved around to accomodate the tires then I will work on the wheel offset and ordering wheels. (look out Tony). I will know more after talking to the chassis shop but I belive the stock springs can be move closer to the frame to make enough room for the tires. This will all take alot of work but I am taking the truck to a reputable chassis shop so I am not worried about the modifications as long as they get the results I am after. Hopefully everything will be done by time to go to Panama.

See less See more
#31 ·
Wheels are driving me nuts. One company quoted me nearly $3000 per wheel and a $5000 design fee to make a wheel that they already make with wider spokes. I'm gonna have to sell a car to afford wheels!! I have one more company in California that seem to have resonable (compared to others) prices but if this starts getting pricey I may end up buying a set of American Racing El Rey wheels and have them widened.

#33 ·
Ladder bar setup came our really good. Truck is back there now getting the axle shortened to fit wider wheels. He will also notch the frame since the new tires are 4" taller than stock.

#34 ·
I organized my photobucket account so all the previous pic links are dead. Here are reposts.

#37 ·
Below are pics of the custom wheels. They will be 22x10 front with standard offset and 24x14.5 rears. Let me know what you think?

#39 ·
IMHO the stock wheels are the only ones that look good on our trucks. I looked pretty hard at the Rodtana wheels but didn't care for the flat look of the spokes. I really like the concave look so had to get custom wheels made. My only hope is that they look different enough that they won't be confused with the stock wheels. I tend to like the subtle changes that are not blarringly obvious but car people pick up on. Truck comes back from the chassis shop tomorrow and then it will be another 10-12 weeks for the wheels to get completed.

#40 ·
#41 ·
I agree, Jason. Very few aftermarket rims fit our trucks so well. Now... an Audi or Mercedes? I'd put custom rims on them all day long, especially in gunmetal gray or black.

#42 ·
A little more progress on the new wheel/tire upgrade. The bed has been at the painters for a few wheels now getting ready for paint. He rolled the fenders for me and we also redid the side exhaust mounting to make it work better. Hopefully it will be completed by the end of February and I can then get it remounted and double check the wheel offset before ordering wheeels. The rear axle was shortened and we got a little mock up of how the wheels/tires will look.

#45 ·
Me to. Painter has taken longer than I anticipated but he does such a good job at such a great price I can't push too hard for him to hurry. He is an amazing airbrush artist too. He painted this on the fender of my Saleen to replace the emblem.

#46 ·
A little more progress. The underside has been finished in a tintable undercoating and the bed has been primered and is getting painted today. A lot of work was done to make this look stock. We even went so far as to weld in rounded edges on the floor ridges that meet the wheel tubs.

#50 ·
Seethrough, those tires are comically large and boarder on the ridiculous, but the build quality and originality is heads and shoulder above what could have been done to acheive this goal and I am eagerly awaiting finished pics!!

#52 ·
I wasn't going for ridiculous but I will take that as a compliment. I always loved the look of the early 70s Road Runners and GTXs with the larger rear tire tucked up into the fender so I was going for that look. The end result will be proof of whether I made it look right or odd. Here is the latest picture of the inside of the bed painted and clear coated. I shared a few beers with the painter before he sprayed the clear so it may take a little more time to get the runs wet sanded. :icon16:

#55 ·
I won't be ordering rims until I get the truck back and can double and then triple check the backspacing. Custom wheels are way to expensive to make a mistake with so I want to make absolutely sure before I place the order. The design work is done and paid for so once I have the measurements it will be about 7 weeks to get the wheels made and delivered.

#56 ·
Exterior of the bed is painted. Some wet sanding and buffing and it will be ready to go back on.

#57 ·
One more.

#59 ·
Custom wheels were ordered several weeks ago and are expected any day now. I will get tires mounted and see how they fit. Pictures are sure to follow.

#60 ·
Wheels finally arrived. Mounting rear tires and test fitting them tomorrow.

#62 ·
Wheels and tires mounted and put on the truck. Back spacing came of perfect (sigh of relief)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.