Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
I have been doing a lot of reading on the web about the kicker upgrades and have a few questions for those that have installed some or all of the options
1) in a 2006 RC, are the speakers still drop in or did the connectors for the speakers change on 06?
2) There has been a number of posts about the poor bass out of the door speakers but the posts do not mention if that was with the
factory amp or the kicker replacement amp. Can anyone comment on whether the kicker amp improves the bass of the door speakers and also the overall sound quality
of the front and door speakers?
3) Does the kicker amp drive the middle front speaker since the mopar kits do not include a speaker for this and does leaving the middle speaker connected
(factory or kicker amp) make for any noticeable difference in sound quality due to the mismatched speakers?
4) On the kicker bass box, a number of you kind folks have commented on how hard and loud it is for quad cabs with no real way to adjust it. Does the RC kicker box
also have this issue? Has anyone just replaced the factory bass amp and gotten decent bass out of the RC factory sub if so what amp was used and was it
hard to install
sorry for all the questions but really would like to upgrade but do not want to swap out the REC nav head unit.
Ok, I think this one is mine Guys....
I have done the Complete Kicker Upgrade and Love it.
In answer to your first question, yes the Front Speaker Connectors did change but there is an adapter out there somewhere I just soldered the wires to the speakers.
As to the center speaker, I suggest leaving it disconnected, you will get MUCH better seperation on the sound. With it connected it tends to over power the other two front speakers and you will get almost no seperation... That is why Kicker only provides two speakers.
The poor bass out of the door speakers is because they are Mid Range Speakers in the QC and they are Coaxial in the RC. All the Bass comes from the Sub.
The major reason for the lousy Bass is the Amp, it is a POS and in a lot of trucks it simply quits working (another reason for lousy Bass)
Adjustability on the Sub Box is a No Go, it is all handled from the Radio Head. However you can get the sound you are looking for by adjusting it at the Head Unit. The Bass does Hit Hard, I have mine adjust to -3 below center, I can then get the volume over 24 without being the horses rear at the red light
All in all I am Very Pleased with the Kicker upgrade and would not go back to the infinity. Make sure you get the second amp for the speakers it adds a Ton of Quality to the Package..
Thanks for the response! just a couple of followups to your post.
1. for the speaker connection change on the 06. is it front and door or just the door? And if you had any idea about where you got the adapters
2. I had read that the RC was coax in the doors but I am a bit confused about your response. I am actually ok with the mid bass that comes from the door speakers, it is more the front's sound quality that bothers me. no matter how I try to adjust the fronts it just does not sound right. So I am a bit nervous that replacing the doors and losing the mid bass or even replacing the fronts and not getting better quality sound without also replacing the factory amp in the glovebox...from your response sound quality goes up by replacing the amp but do you gain the mid bass back that everyone says you loose in the doors by just swapping in the kicker speakers?
3. The sub is a huge disappointment. There are only a handful of songs that I play that seem to get the sub to even begin to push some air. Its actually a bit embarrassing in an RC to have someone hop in the truck for the first time and see this huge sub between the front seats and have it be pretty much nothing but a ornament. At least you QC guys have the crappy sub under the back seat. Anyway if it is the sub amp that sucks, has anyone just replaced the amp..or in other words is the infinity speaker a good sub in its own right? the price of the kicker sub is crazy.
4. On adjusting the bass with the radio when the kicker sub is installed, do you loose any of the mid bass from the doors by keeping the setting at -3? I do not want to loose a higher range of bass because the kicker sub overpowers the rest of the system.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|