Mopar Kicker Upgrade - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum

post #1 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
zacch123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mopar Kicker Upgrade

I have been doing a lot of reading on the web about the kicker upgrades and have a few questions for those that have installed some or all of the options

1) in a 2006 RC, are the speakers still drop in or did the connectors for the speakers change on 06?

2) There has been a number of posts about the poor bass out of the door speakers but the posts do not mention if that was with the
factory amp or the kicker replacement amp. Can anyone comment on whether the kicker amp improves the bass of the door speakers and also the overall sound quality
of the front and door speakers?

3) Does the kicker amp drive the middle front speaker since the mopar kits do not include a speaker for this and does leaving the middle speaker connected
(factory or kicker amp) make for any noticeable difference in sound quality due to the mismatched speakers?

4) On the kicker bass box, a number of you kind folks have commented on how hard and loud it is for quad cabs with no real way to adjust it. Does the RC kicker box
also have this issue? Has anyone just replaced the factory bass amp and gotten decent bass out of the RC factory sub if so what amp was used and was it
hard to install

sorry for all the questions but really would like to upgrade but do not want to swap out the REC nav head unit.

Thanks!!

06 PX8 Black RC

Mods: K&N, lowered, spacers, HID lights/fog, iSimple IPOD Integration, Locking tailgate handle, front fascia protector waiting install

Last edited by zacch123; 09-24-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM
da1chief
Site SUPER Moderator

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacch123 View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading on the web about the kicker upgrades and have a few questions for those that have installed some or all of the options

1) in a 2006 RC, are the speakers still drop in or did the connectors for the speakers change on 06?

2) There has been a number of posts about the poor bass out of the door speakers but the posts do not mention if that was with the
factory amp or the kicker replacement amp. Can anyone comment on whether the kicker amp improves the bass of the door speakers and also the overall sound quality
of the front and door speakers?

3) Does the kicker amp drive the middle front speaker since the mopar kits do not include a speaker for this and does leaving the middle speaker connected
(factory or kicker amp) make for any noticeable difference in sound quality due to the mismatched speakers?

4) On the kicker bass box, a number of you kind folks have commented on how hard and loud it is for quad cabs with no real way to adjust it. Does the RC kicker box
also have this issue? Has anyone just replaced the factory bass amp and gotten decent bass out of the RC factory sub if so what amp was used and was it
hard to install

sorry for all the questions but really would like to upgrade but do not want to swap out the REC nav head unit.

Thanks!!
Ok, I think this one is mine Guys....

I have done the Complete Kicker Upgrade and Love it.

In answer to your first question, yes the Front Speaker Connectors did change but there is an adapter out there somewhere I just soldered the wires to the speakers.

As to the center speaker, I suggest leaving it disconnected, you will get MUCH better seperation on the sound. With it connected it tends to over power the other two front speakers and you will get almost no seperation... That is why Kicker only provides two speakers.

The poor bass out of the door speakers is because they are Mid Range Speakers in the QC and they are Coaxial in the RC. All the Bass comes from the Sub.

The major reason for the lousy Bass is the Amp, it is a POS and in a lot of trucks it simply quits working (another reason for lousy Bass)

Adjustability on the Sub Box is a No Go, it is all handled from the Radio Head. However you can get the sound you are looking for by adjusting it at the Head Unit. The Bass does Hit Hard, I have mine adjust to -3 below center, I can then get the volume over 24 without being the horses rear at the red light

All in all I am Very Pleased with the Kicker upgrade and would not go back to the infinity. Make sure you get the second amp for the speakers it adds a Ton of Quality to the Package..

Mopar or No Car

2005 Commemorative Edition SRT-10 Born 051618 VTR-0259
2006 Mineral Gray Quad Cab SRT-10 Born 011000 VTR-0001 or VTR-2006-0001
2010 Bright Silver 300C SRT-8 Born 040913

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired
post #3 of 44 Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 PM
HANKTHETANK
Banned User

yep, that was all you, chief...nice!

post #4 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Troy's QC SRT

good writeup chief......I want alot of bass so i think i might have to do something more than the kicker upgrade. and plus i head that the only reason why the kicker upgrade is popular is because it works with the factory radio and that if you replace the deck you will have to rewire everything....whats up with that?

RWHP 451/ 477 RWTQ
post #5 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM
da1chief
Site SUPER Moderator

Troy, before you spend the money, wait till you get up here and hear My Kicker Sub... Then you will KNOW if it is going to be enough or not...

It gets loud enough to over power the Ringing in my Ears and THAT takes a LOT...

Mopar or No Car

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired
post #6 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
zacch123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da1chief View Post
Ok, I think this one is mine Guys....

I have done the Complete Kicker Upgrade and Love it.

In answer to your first question, yes the Front Speaker Connectors did change but there is an adapter out there somewhere I just soldered the wires to the speakers.

As to the center speaker, I suggest leaving it disconnected, you will get MUCH better seperation on the sound. With it connected it tends to over power the other two front speakers and you will get almost no seperation... That is why Kicker only provides two speakers.

The poor bass out of the door speakers is because they are Mid Range Speakers in the QC and they are Coaxial in the RC. All the Bass comes from the Sub.

The major reason for the lousy Bass is the Amp, it is a POS and in a lot of trucks it simply quits working (another reason for lousy Bass)

Adjustability on the Sub Box is a No Go, it is all handled from the Radio Head. However you can get the sound you are looking for by adjusting it at the Head Unit. The Bass does Hit Hard, I have mine adjust to -3 below center, I can then get the volume over 24 without being the horses rear at the red light

All in all I am Very Pleased with the Kicker upgrade and would not go back to the infinity. Make sure you get the second amp for the speakers it adds a Ton of Quality to the Package..
Thanks for the response! just a couple of followups to your post.

1. for the speaker connection change on the 06. is it front and door or just the door? And if you had any idea about where you got the adapters

2. I had read that the RC was coax in the doors but I am a bit confused about your response. I am actually ok with the mid bass that comes from the door speakers, it is more the front's sound quality that bothers me. no matter how I try to adjust the fronts it just does not sound right. So I am a bit nervous that replacing the doors and losing the mid bass or even replacing the fronts and not getting better quality sound without also replacing the factory amp in the glovebox...from your response sound quality goes up by replacing the amp but do you gain the mid bass back that everyone says you loose in the doors by just swapping in the kicker speakers?

3. The sub is a huge disappointment. There are only a handful of songs that I play that seem to get the sub to even begin to push some air. Its actually a bit embarrassing in an RC to have someone hop in the truck for the first time and see this huge sub between the front seats and have it be pretty much nothing but a ornament. At least you QC guys have the crappy sub under the back seat. Anyway if it is the sub amp that sucks, has anyone just replaced the amp..or in other words is the infinity speaker a good sub in its own right? the price of the kicker sub is crazy.

4. On adjusting the bass with the radio when the kicker sub is installed, do you loose any of the mid bass from the doors by keeping the setting at -3? I do not want to loose a higher range of bass because the kicker sub overpowers the rest of the system.

Thanks!!

06 PX8 Black RC

Mods: K&N, lowered, spacers, HID lights/fog, iSimple IPOD Integration, Locking tailgate handle, front fascia protector waiting install
post #7 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Troy's QC SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1chief View Post
Troy, before you spend the money, wait till you get up here and hear My Kicker Sub... Then you will KNOW if it is going to be enough or not...

It gets loud enough to over power the Ringing in my Ears and THAT takes a LOT...
Sandy, Its not really about the speakers not being loud enough, I just heard that the kicker is plug and play with the stock radio....If you install an aftermarket deck youll have to re-wire the speakers completely (is this true?) and if your going to do that there are other speakers that are better so you mines well go with something else other than the kicker upgrade...... I need to be able to play my ipod A.S.A.P. as I don't do the radio or cd's...... And having a screen would be cool to!

RWHP 451/ 477 RWTQ
post #8 of 44 Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM
da1chief
Site SUPER Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacch123 View Post
Thanks for the response! just a couple of followups to your post.

1. for the speaker connection change on the 06. is it front and door or just the door? And if you had any idea about where you got the adapters

2. I had read that the RC was coax in the doors but I am a bit confused about your response. I am actually ok with the mid bass that comes from the door speakers, it is more the front's sound quality that bothers me. no matter how I try to adjust the fronts it just does not sound right. So I am a bit nervous that replacing the doors and losing the mid bass or even replacing the fronts and not getting better quality sound without also replacing the factory amp in the glovebox...from your response sound quality goes up by replacing the amp but do you gain the mid bass back that everyone says you loose in the doors by just swapping in the kicker speakers?

3. The sub is a huge disappointment. There are only a handful of songs that I play that seem to get the sub to even begin to push some air. Its actually a bit embarrassing in an RC to have someone hop in the truck for the first time and see this huge sub between the front seats and have it be pretty much nothing but a ornament. At least you QC guys have the crappy sub under the back seat. Anyway if it is the sub amp that sucks, has anyone just replaced the amp..or in other words is the infinity speaker a good sub in its own right? the price of the kicker sub is crazy.

4. On adjusting the bass with the radio when the kicker sub is installed, do you loose any of the mid bass from the doors by keeping the setting at -3? I do not want to loose a higher range of bass because the kicker sub overpowers the rest of the system.

Thanks!!
I didn't get the adapters I simply attached/soldered the speaker wires directly to the speaker and bypassed the connector. I think Santeen mentioned the adapters and where or how to get them, I can't remember..

To me the Front Speakers almost drown out the door speakers. With all 3 of them hooked up I lost the seperation up front and the factory door speakers in a QC (strickly Mid range) didn't do anything for me...

When I installed the Kickers (along with the Kicker Speaker Amp) I disconnected the center Dash Speaker, got plenty of seperation and the door speakers came back in. Very happy with it now... As to the Door speakers in a RC, they are the coaxial and I simply don't know, haven't heard a Kicker system in a RC, Sorry

When I installed the Kicker Sub and Sub Amp I have a TON of Bass Now. That POS infinity should have Never been put in our trucks.. The Old School Rocker that I am, I can put Aerosmith Toys In The Attic on and crank it... The Bass comes out so Hard it will drive you out of the Truck...

I turn it down and yes I loose a little of the mid range (not that much) but when a song comes on I simply touch the buttons on the Head Unit and push it back up and that takes care of it...

Yes the price is through the roof and if it wasn'[t for Santeen I may not have gotten it. I picked up his Sub Unit at a Heck of a Price (Thanks Again Steve) and that started the entire Kicker upgrade for me....

As before I am totally happy with what I have and don't plan on changing it any....

Mopar or No Car

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired
post #9 of 44 Old 09-26-2010, 10:01 PM
SpudRacer

Per my recollection, Kicker only has a set-up for the 2006, it is NOT compatible with the 2004-05, or I would have jumped on it long ago. Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy...

Tom

2005 "Yellow Fever" #285 Quad-cab

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Quote by Jim Elliott

post #10 of 44 Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 AM
Troy's QC SRT

they do have te set-up for the 05 Tom....if you order it its the 05 that it comes for and for the 06's you have to ask for a different model because of the connector change... some 06 have the 05 connector so they would be good with the regular kicker upgrade but its a hit or miss on the early production 06's. noone knows why they change the connector from the reading iv'e done....

RWHP 451/ 477 RWTQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement