Questions about reliability and mileage - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
ThrottleJunkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questions about reliability and mileage

I absolutely love these trucks, but have a few questions before I look into buying one. First off, it has to be a daily driver. I'm in Cleveland, but I have a winter car so that's not an issue. But does it do well everyday or is it just not a wise idea? Second, how reliable are the viper motors as well as the rest of the truck? Does it hold up well after high mileage? Lastly, I drive A LOT. Almost 100 miles/day. Is there anything that can be done about the mileage besides regearing? Filling up twice a day would kill me. Thanks guys for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 AM
mauiSRT/10

Dont buy it if your worried about gas mileage. Seriously this baby sucks gas and money from your wallet. Premium gas only and very pricey oil changes every 3k miles!!! Even if you do it yourself, your talking $60. Expect under 10 in the city and maybe 15/16 highway. Mine is reading 8.5 a gallon right now on my current tank of gas.

patrick

Black 04 srt/10 RBC
#2370 of 3057

4.88's/ Caltracs/ DC Performance Stage II / 170` T Stat/Magnaflow/K&N CAI/Xmetal: TB, 1"/2" Drop, Catless Mids, Shifter/Centerforce Clutch w/Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel/Viper Master & Slave Cylinder kit/Raptor Shiftlite/Roe Racing Crankcase Breather/Black Depo LED Tails/Tinted Windows/MGW & Billet Creations Knobs, Levers, plate holders/Checkmate Soft Tonneau/Red Viper Fang Badges/BDIA Sequence Plates /Shaved all boring badges/Cool Blue interior cig light!

#88 Car
post #3 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Deibs

7 to 8 mpg is all i get in the city and 9's on the highway for a 2006 QC.

It's not an everyday vehicle IMO, it idles like shlt, is a tank to turn, wing makes it difficult to see out the back, the ride is stiff due to the performance setup, and like we said it sucks fuel back like nothing else.

But..... once you mash that pedal, it makes it all worth it... I purchased this truck as a toy and use my other car as a daily as i can get 25-28mpg.

2006 SRT-10 QC Mineral Gray
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RAlhtjPM-J0&mode=user&search=
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 - A few mods, too fast now.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
QUICKSILVER

Daily driver here.... Truck has NEVER thrown a code!
17,400/miles..flawless miles! Everybody is differant, some like everything about the Truck (ME) and some people pick her apart. You can always fine something that bothers you.
Overall: MAN WHAT a TRUCK!
After you start modding her, all bets are off! Right NOW under/boost she pulls 2.7/mpg...... Hi-Ho!

Quick
post #5 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 06:57 AM
hunter_angler

I'm in the land of Cleves myself, and my truck is my daily driver, except when there's a ton of snow and/or salt on the streets. I only drive Lakewood to downtown and back every day, though. Mileage isn't a big deal to me.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Danko

Funny! Anyone wanting one of these should not be asking about mileage!!!!! Maui is right on telling him to go away. I just saved tens of thousands of dollars off the price of two of these beauts and I can buy a lot of gas for $40,000 saved!!! $4,000 saved in sales tax will take care of oil changes.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Roktman

Ditto on what has been said on mileage.I have 33K daily driven miles .Like they say if you have to ask.......

Dave "Big Dog" Breiner a.k.a "Roktman"

`04 #1544/3057 "BAD VENM" - 11:1 CR Forged Motor
,JM Heads,237/240 .595 Lift Cam,Harland Sharp RR,JTSVP TB,MF,3"Mids,
Bassani`s,Lambo`s,Super Snake Hood,,Cross Drilled Rotors,Camera,QA1`s,Remote Radar/Jammers,Custom Seats and Interior,4.56`s,Short Shifter,HID`s 1250W Clarion Flip,Checkmate Cover,Flamed Intake And Valve Covers,Viper Badging,Clear Headlights,Custom LED Switches/ Lighting,Billet Tanks &Trim,Boss 313`s ,Braided Lines,Smoked Tails,2/3 Drop,Lots More.

`96 Impala SS "The Roktship" S/C 396/1000 BHP/850 RWT
`03 Impala Nats " Best Of Show" Winner

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
EXLTNING

You will get the occasional freak of nature (the truck) claiming they get 15 mpg plus on the RC. Maybe on the freeway with a tailwind cause for every one of those little ole lady drivers you get a hundred responses that say they get less than ten average which is reality for these vehicles.
Lots of cars that are faster than the stock truck out there that will get almost twice that much (my 06 Vette gets 29 running down the freeway)so if gas is even a consideration don't go there.
Drive mine everyday and love it cause I rationalise? it like Danko.
I can burn a lot of fuc-ing gas for the 20 grand off list I got it for.
Otherwise it would hurt my feelings so bad I would probably get piss-d and sell it cause it ain't that damn fast!
post #9 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
MRXSRT

Throttle - I must be one of those "old lady" drivers 'cuz I get 11mpg in town. I have 30K+ miles and drive it every day {except on the ice} and love every minute I am in the truck. I am trying to find a winter set-up that will work better for the slick roads but all the torque makes that a difficult prospect. Right now I have 180lbs of sand over the rear axel and that coupled with 25+ years of winter driving experience has got me home safe so far...
My advice to you is buy the truck and drive it like it was a rental. Put your gas on your credit card and bank the frequent flyer miles!
Fossil fuels will eventually dry up and do you want to be the guy laughing cause you had a blast driving an SRT or the guy who drove the wheels and battery off of his Prius????
Me and my SRT!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
hunter_angler

You know for me, in a warped sort of way, this truck is a very practical daily driver. I think that's because I think of it as, well, a truck.

It gets used as a truck. I can haul around just about anything I want in the bed. Couldn't do that in a car...

No it's not the fastest vehicle on the road, but it sure does run and handle good for a truck. And that puts a smile on my face...

Yeah the mileage blows. I average under 10 MPG. But with any other full size truck and a V8 I would be getting what, 12-15 MPG? The miles I drive, that would save me maybe 7-10 bucks a week, max? No thanks, I will take the smile on my face...

If you want fast, small and economical, get an SRT-4. But this is a great truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement