SRT10 Forum banner

AutoGuide 2015 Heavy Duty Truck Comparison

13K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ViperJeff 
#1 ·

Automakers love to play the numbers game, especially when it comes to big trucks. A recent spat between Ram and Ford saw both companies claiming the “best-in-class” towing title for their respective heavy duty pickups like kids in a sandbox arguing over who has the better castle.

Sure, specifications are important, but they only tell a part of the story. And in the case of heavy-duty trucks, they only tell a fraction of the story. The common thought is higher numbers equal better performance, but the key and really the most important consideration to any heavy hauler is what it actually feels like when you’re towing. There is nothing worse than 20,000 pounds – or more – of steel rolling down the road feeling like it’s out of control.

SEE ALSO: Ford, Ram Fight Over HD Truck Tow Ratings

Drag-Strip-Trucks.JPG

In partnership with the Canadian Truck King Challenge, we tested each of the big three HD pickup trucks for 2015. To be clear, it wasn’t an empty parking lot test that consisted of deciding which truck has the best cup holders. We loaded roughly 4,000 lbs of shingles into the bed of each truck the first day, while the second day consisted of pulling 15,000-pound fifth wheels and a full day of driving. We also had fuel economy loggers hooked into the ODB II port for the entirety of the testing to see exactly how much diesel it takes to get the job done.

But the real fun took place at the drag strip. Yes, you read that right: drag strip! We sent each of these trucks down the drag strip, trailers in tow, to get the real story on acceleration. And the results may surprise you, so read on to see how each truck fared.

Read More at: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/10/2015-heavy-duty-truck-comparison.html

See less See more
#3 ·
I respectfully disagree. The Ford is hideous!! I would walk before I'd drive a Ford.

#5 ·
I have been successfully brainwashed by Dodge / Ram into thinking it is by far the best looking truck on the road. If I had to buy a truck other than a Dodge it would be a GMC / Chevy. After that I could care less, the rest of the manufacturers couldn't give me a truck.

#6 ·
I went and looked at the new Sierra's. Inside they are great. I just couldn't get past some of the blocky and overly chromed plastic pieces. (I know, all new vehicles have the chrome issue) I still like the styling of Dodge, however......... I'm afraid I will need something other than a Dodge if I buy new again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.