SRT10 Forum banner

Need help with lower control arms

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dwireman 
#1 ·
I am hoping someone on here could point me in the right direction. The lower ball joints on my truck need to be replaced so I ordered a set of Moogs from rockauto along with UCA and outer tie rod ends. The problem I ran into is that I cannot find an adapter kit that will work for me to press the old ball joints out. I have done ball joints before and never had this many issues. So I eventually decide to change the entire LCA but the part number that I found and ordered are no longer sold by dodge (5290614AE/5290615AE). By the way it is a 2006 Quad cab. Can someone confirm whether or not the LCA from the 2005's are the same? Or if anyone has done this before, what was the part number on the press kit that you used and from which auto part store? I also found that the outer tie rod ends i ordered (Moog) were too small. They were M17x1.5 and I think I need M18x1.5 which would be the same ones from the mega cabs. Any useful advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
Yeah, the rental kits don't come with what we need to do the balljoints. I learned that the hard way. You would have to order a full kit from the auto parts store or check on amazon or ebay. They would be cheaper on the two sites. As for the lca and tierod, I'm not sure. My SRT is an 05.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I appreciate the reply. I tried to order some LCA's that were suppose to fit but they have some kind of cup on the top where the rivets are so I am pretty sure they won't work for me. I'm just going to end up taking mine in to a shop for them to press out the ball joints and press in the new ones. I probably should have done that in the first place but I like to do most of my own maintenance. Oh well, as long as they get changed I guess it doesn't really matter.

#4 ·
Just read your post. I have found that my local Advanced Auto Parts have the tools needed for Control arm/ Ball joint work. They have a three fork kit that can be used manually or with a air chisel. Also their ball joint kit had everything I needed for installing the new ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.