No Code? Or something else? - Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Viper Truck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post No Code? Or something else?

Ok guys, I need some help. I was out paying bills and the truck stopped starting. Turned the key to start and I noticed the engine light was on. Push the button to start; nothing. After I had to towed to a local shop that was closed not far from my house, I read about turning the key off and on three times to get the Code for the problem. I walk to the shop and try it. One, two, three...... It reads "Done". So, I shut it off. Then try it again. One, two, three.... "Done". So, just for the Hell of it I see if it will start; It does! I don't see the engine light either. So, Whats going on here? May I still have a problem? I drove it back to the house and started it several times with out fail.

Leer Tonneau cover
K&N drop in filter
Plasma Glow Firestorm Scanning LED tailgate bar
Optima Red top Battery
Bed Rug bed liner
Roe Racing Throttle Body
JTSVP Oil lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-30-2010, 11:55 PM
ViperJeff
VIPEROLIGIST

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Would it just not start or would it run for a second and then quit?

Is your Viper Truck on the Viper Truck Registry?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Winston Churchill
post #3 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 AM
SpudRacer

Sounds like it just wouldn't start.

I see four doors, do you ever see the gear indicator on the dash not reading "P" when trying to start your truck? I ran into this problem last year and finally tracked it down to the truck not starting because the "P" (for Park) gear indicator on the dash wasn't lit. It WAS in Park, but the linkage under the dash was JUST A TAD OFF, and so the computer was thinking it was in reverse and wouldn't let the truck start.

I suggest driving it as usual, and if it happens again, check the dash to see if the "P" is illuminated. If not, jiggle the shifter lever till it is, then see if it starts. If it does, all you have to do is drop the lower center dash panel on the driver's side, and shine a flashlight up there while you or someone else shifts back and forth. You'll quickly identify the shift linkage, and see the white plastic adjustment knob. Just fine tune it a little bit IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and no more problem.

If it works, you'll get my bill in the mail...

Tom

2005 "Yellow Fever" #285 Quad-cab

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Quote by Jim Elliott

post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Viper Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRacer View Post

I see four doors, do you ever see the gear indicator on the dash not reading "P" when trying to start your truck? I ran into this problem last year and finally tracked it down to the truck not starting because the "P" (for Park) gear indicator on the dash wasn't lit. It WAS in Park, but the linkage under the dash was JUST A TAD OFF, and so the computer was thinking it was in reverse and wouldn't let the truck start.

I suggest driving it as usual, and if it happens again, check the dash to see if the "P" is illuminated. If not, jiggle the shifter lever till it is, then see if it starts. If it does, all you have to do is drop the lower center dash panel on the driver's side, and shine a flashlight up there while you or someone else shifts back and forth. You'll quickly identify the shift linkage, and see the white plastic adjustment knob. Just fine tune it a little bit IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION, and no more problem.

Tom,
the little things you don't think about can be the problem it self. I did notice this very thing while sitting at the shop. It was in Park but the indicator was around neutral. I just bumped the lever and it went to park. Started up after that. I will try to do an adjustment on it. Thank you so much. Feeling much better now. The correct direction is the key here.

Leer Tonneau cover
K&N drop in filter
Optima Red top Battery
Bed Rug bed liner
Roe Racing Throttle Body
JTSVP Oil lines
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM
SpudRacer

You can pay your bill by throwing some business to good Sir Tony!!!!

Lord knows that man deserves it..

Tom

Quote by Jim Elliott

post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Viper Truck

Quote:
You can pay your bill by throwing some business to good Sir Tony!!!!

Lord knows that man deserves it..
Yes sir,
got that on tap for the new year. Got plans for new breaks and rotors; he told me just what I needed. Great guy that tony.

Leer Tonneau cover
K&N drop in filter
Optima Red top Battery
Bed Rug bed liner
Roe Racing Throttle Body
JTSVP Oil lines
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2010, 10:00 AM
11702V10

Quote:

Very good advise, I was having the same problem. I had the shift linkage changed under warranty a while back.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
da1chief
Site SUPER Moderator

Here is a Post from from Tom a while back.... The adjustment in the Second Paragraph with the "Clip" is Dead On.... Check it and it will fix the problem...

No start in Quad Cab
I found I had an intermittent problem in my new QC. Sometimes she wouldn't start in Park, but would start in Neutral. It didn't take long to discover that the illuminated square around the P (for Park) on the dash sometimes wasn't lit, and if I wiggled the shifter, I could get the square to illuminate, and then the engine would start.

I then looked down at the transmission for a way to adjust the linkage. I got a little concerned when I pulled the electrical connector off the transmission near the linkage and found it saturated with transmission fluid (the surrounding transmission is clean and dry), but cleaned it out and then focused my search under the dash. It was there that I discovered a white plastic clip that one must push 3/4 of the way off, and the the throttle assembly can slide back and forth to adjust. Once you get it where you want it, you push the white plastic clip back in place, and the throttle is secured. It took several tries to get it where the squares would light properly and consistently in each gear. Now it shifts correctly, and starts every time.

If anyone's noticed this problem, there's the solution.

Mopar or No Car

2005 Commemorative Edition SRT-10 Born 051618 VTR-0259
2006 Mineral Gray Quad Cab SRT-10 Born 011000 VTR-0001 or VTR-2006-0001
2010 Bright Silver 300C SRT-8 Born 040913

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 AM
SpudRacer

Good find Chief! Thanks...

Tom

Quote by Jim Elliott

post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2011, 12:15 PM
da1chief
Site SUPER Moderator

Really wasn't hard Tom.... I had copied and pasted it into a MS Word Document and saved it. I knew it would come in handy...

Mopar or No Car

2005 Commemorative Edition SRT-10 Born 051618 VTR-0259
2006 Mineral Gray Quad Cab SRT-10 Born 011000 VTR-0001 or VTR-2006-0001
2010 Bright Silver 300C SRT-8 Born 040913

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement