SRT10 Forum banner

513 or 538 gears

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gearheadbill 
#1 ·
I presently have 456 gears in my vca 04...I have read the threads about the 513 and 538 gears...will they make as big of an improvement in bottom end as changing from the stock 410 to 456? will my top end diminish greatly and if I decide to go this route do I go 513 or 538 gears...also living in indiana not calif how do I accomplish this

#2 ·
clarman said:
I presently have 456 gears in my vca 04...I have read the threads about the 513 and 538 gears...will they make as big of an improvement in bottom end as changing from the stock 410 to 456? will my top end diminish greatly and if I decide to go this route do I go 513 or 538 gears...also living in indiana not calif how do I accomplish this
The change from 4.10 to 4.56 gearing was 11.22%. The change from 4.56 to 5.13 will be 12.50% and to 5.38 will be 17.98%. That will give you an idea to the differences you will experience.

These trucks are speed limited by the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of body, not by the gearing. If you do a search on "Top Speed" you will find the information regarding top speed per gear at 6000 RPM. I know it included 4.10 and 4.56 gearing. It may have include 5.13 also. I don't remember for sure. If not let me know and I will calculate it out for you if you want.

Sorry that I can't help you out regarding an installer. Not from that part of the jungle.

Hope that helps.

Kaholo. Your mailbox is full. I tried to send you the same information and could not get it to you. Hope you see this.

#3 ·
Here are the top speeds per gear at 6000 RPM for 5.13 and 5.38 gears.

5.13's
1st - 38.9
2nd - 57.7
3rd - 79.5
4th - 103.6
5th - 140.3
6th - 207.2

5.38's
1st - 36.5
2nd - 54.1
3rd - 74.5
4th - 97.1
5th - 131.5
6th - 194.2

As you can see, even with the 5.38 gears, aerodynamics are the limiting factor for our top speed, not gearing.

One thing to remember is both, 0 to 60 runs and the 1/4 mile will require one additional shift over a truck running 4.56 gears. Shifting requires time so the quicker acceleration provided by the lower gearing may be offset by the additional shift required.

The link below is to a thread that has the same info for 4.11 and 4.56 gearing if you are interested.

http://www.srt10forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2063&page=2&pp=10&highlight=speed

Hope that helps out.

#8 ·
5.13s-5.38s

At 8omph in 6th gear around 2ooorpms,the biggest difference i s diveability at low speeds going up a driveway slow moving traffic,your not forced to ride the clutch,with the 5.13s you most difinetly have one more gear to deal with in quarter mile,so if quarter mile is your game you have to weigh that into the whole picture 8th mile another story,as far as who can do the install,someone a racer type shop who is familar with Dana rearends,it can be done,I have a guy here in Fla who is a Pro mod racer,lot of exper,there was a little machine work needed to do the install,I did change carriers for sure.
Westcoast Differentials was where I purchased my parts,my install was done over a year ago,we called them trying to help our brother in the Islands and they acted like no one had ever successfully done this swap much to the confusion of my installer who did do this install.
So thats my story and Iam sticking to it,I have told same story about 10-15 times!
Bill

#9 ·
gearheadbill said:
At 8omph in 6th gear around 2ooorpms,the biggest difference i s diveability at low speeds going up a driveway slow moving traffic,your not forced to ride the clutch,with the 5.13s you most difinetly have one more gear to deal with in quarter mile,so if quarter mile is your game you have to weigh that into the whole picture 8th mile another story,as far as who can do the install,someone a racer type shop who is familar with Dana rearends,it can be done,I have a guy here in Fla who is a Pro mod racer,lot of exper,there was a little machine work needed to do the install,I did change carriers for sure.
Westcoast Differentials was where I purchased my parts,my install was done over a year ago,we called them trying to help our brother in the Islands and they acted like no one had ever successfully done this swap much to the confusion of my installer who did do this install.
So thats my story and Iam sticking to it,I have told same story about 10-15 times!
Bill
Just wondering if you ran at the dragstrip with and without the gears and if your times were quicker with the gears?

#10 ·
Silverback

Silverback said:
The change from 4.10 to 4.56 gearing was 11.22%. The change from 4.56 to 5.13 will be 12.50% and to 5.38 will be 17.98%. That will give you an idea to the differences you will experience.

These trucks are speed limited by the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of body, not by the gearing. If you do a search on "Top Speed" you will find the information regarding top speed per gear at 6000 RPM. I know it included 4.10 and 4.56 gearing. It may have include 5.13 also. I don't remember for sure. If not let me know and I will calculate it out for you if you want.

Sorry that I can't help you out regarding an installer. Not from that part of the jungle.

Hope that helps.

Kaholo. Your mailbox is full. I tried to send you the same information and could not get it to you. Hope you see this.
I read it John, thanks for your follow up. I cleaned up my mailbox - I'm not a very good houskeeper.

#11 ·
5.13s-5.38s

No I have not run the truck at the track,I have a couple other cars that I run at the strip,so for me to say oh ya this way is faster I can not,but like I said before the driveability is greatly improved,the truck seems quicker because your engine is more often in the power band on the street ,bottom line for me the truck is more enjoyable to drive with the 5.13s gears,thats me,GEARHEADBILL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.