SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 QC SRT-10. It is in the dealers bay once again for another transmission. My truck only has 10,358 miles on it. The last one was rebuilt at 8809 miles. After I got it back, the service manager told me to "Baby it" for 500 miles or it will get messed up again. Well, I listened and even "Babied" it for an extra 500 miles. At 10,275 miles I was driving down the interstate at 65MPH and decided to go a little faster and punched it down. The trans downshifted and never engaged and the truck hit the rev limiter. I let off the gas and it trans picked back up. When I got off the interstate and took off from the stop sign, the transmission slipped and would not engage 2nd gear. And I what I mean by taking off is, I took off like there was a blue hair in an Olds 98 in front of me. I talked to the service manager today and he said the tech told him that one way this transmission will fail is if you are going 75MPH-100MPH and stomp on it, it will fry one of the belts. I can't remember which one he said. He also said DC should have never put automatics in these trucks. And the best part is, the belt that fried is on back order for 9 days along with the other parts too. The first time it was in the shop, it was there for 8 days. So here I sit for another week or longer without my truck. I took it to a different dealer because I don't trust the first dealer I brought it to. The reason it was brought there is because the mechanics were on strike at 3/4's of the other dealerships and they weren't. I haven't had any problems with warranty work, but how can I get them to just replace the transmission instead of rebuilding it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
tranny problems

if you check around there are a few chats from others who have had tranny problems early on at least one got a new tranny. Of course they sell a performance vehicle and act like you are hard on it when ever if fails so good luck .one of my service vans had a tranny go out under warranty and thay replaced it with a used one and said that they had that right (bunch of crap) the louder you squeek the more oil youll get so yell loud enough so that the other customers hear you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up

I still haven't got my truck back. It's been 10 days and the parts are still not in yet. When I do get it back, I will post what had to be fixed and what caused it.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called an old buddy of mine -

Who is a Dodge dealer in the midwest -

He's checking to see if this is BS...

If not -

He'll email me a .pdf file of the "TSB" -

Whatever the hell that is...

Thanx, Danny

·
Registered
10 Posts
There has never been a TSB for Ram SRT10 Automatic transmissions -

Verified a few minutes ago by a SRT10 certified dealer...

Thanx, Danny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer update

The belt that fried is called the Kick Down Band. When that belt went, it caused the overdrive to exploded which then caused 2nd,3rd to crush themselves. That's what my "Service Advisor" just told me. It's still at the dealership and the Kick Down Band is still on back order. Going on 15 days and no truck. Outfuckinstanding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up

Got my truck back on the 4th of Aug. Service Tech said that when the QC's come from the factory, the kickdown band is not adjusted properly. He has seen 4 of these trucks exhibit the same problem. When he rebuilt the trans, he tightened the kickdown band and now it shifts better than when I first got it. It will chirp the tires when it shifts from 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd at WOT. It's never done that before. It shifts hard as hell, but the tech said it will help with the life of the trans.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep it's the 48RE.

·
Registered
627 Posts
mines been in the dealer twice now for tranny repair as well. it seems to last about a week before 2nd wont chirp anymore, then 2 weeks later 2nd wont hold at all anymore.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That is very odd. I had the EXACT same issue, but with a rebuilt aftermarket trans (cost over 5k). I got off the interstate after driving 500 miles from picking up my truck. One mile from home, I was stuck in 1st. All the gears turned to first gear. Park was 1st, reverse wouldn't work and neutral was 1st.

I just got it rebuilt and aired into me to put some miles on it this weekend, so far so good, but I have yet to get on it. I hope by mid week to give a full acceleration test. With 900-1000hp, you gotta be careful :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, how many other people have had this tranny problem? I haven't bought the truck yet, but this issue makes me nervous....

·
Registered
46 Posts
tranny problems as well i think

Hello, new to the board but going to the dealer tommorrow myself, my transmission is acting funny slipping in and out of gear ( or downshifting itself its really hard to tell) especially when slowing down and turning at low speeds- is this normal? kind of acting like and older transmission would when the modulater valve was bad, my 04 quad with a hemi didn't do it, also this v-10 has alot of chatter in the motor is that normal i only have put 2100 miles on it and am alittle disapointed in the noise in the motor and the way the tranny acting. especially for a 50,000$$ pickup

·
Registered
341 Posts
i remember someone talking of replacing the kickdown lever inside of the tranny as well, maybe boomer?? ( i havn't been around here for a while so kinda forgot where i saw some of this, i would got to dodgeturbodesiel and see what those guy's are doing with their 48re some those guy's are runnin cummings with 1000+hp and 1600+trq with the same tranny as you qc fella's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Follow up

It is starting to exhibit the same problems again. I don't even have to stomp on it and it starts slipping/down shifting/up shifting from 2nd to 3rd back to
2nd then to 4th. This is at about 1/3 throttle. It's like I'm going too slow and it doesn't know what the hell to do. It's really pissing me off because I don't drive this thing hard. I know a few other people that have the same truck and have zero problems and drive it 10 times harder than I drive mine. I don't know what else to do. I guess I'll take it back to the wizards and see what they can come with up next. I should have left it outside when it hailed baseballs here a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mxzx440 said:
It is starting to exhibit the same problems again. I don't even have to stomp on it and it starts slipping/down shifting/up shifting from 2nd to 3rd back to
2nd then to 4th. This is at about 1/3 throttle. It's like I'm going too slow and it doesn't know what the hell to do. It's really pissing me off because I don't drive this thing hard. I know a few other people that have the same truck and have zero problems and drive it 10 times harder than I drive mine. I don't know what else to do. I guess I'll take it back to the wizards and see what they can come with up next. I should have left it outside when it hailed baseballs here a couple of weeks ago.
dropped mine off today at the dodge dealer for doing the same thing, and i don't jerk mine around either ( well other than the occasional 2nd gear chirp)
but only 2100 miles and slipping at slow 1\10 throttle maybe or less, plus a vibration in the drive train , brakes squealing too, if it comes out with the same problem its a gone bye bye, i'll go to ford or chevy

1 - 20 of 65 Posts