SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shift pattern/program in my new 05 QC definitely sucks - the only let-down with this truck. It doesn't look like the VEC allows you to adjust the trans (made for the manual), and Hypertech may or may not develop a programmer.

Any suggestions? My dealer says that they do not have updated programs, and they are not experienced enough to program "from scratch."

Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am not so sure that taking out the auto and putting in a 6-speed will give you the results you want.

Probably the best thing to get that auto to run the way you want it to is to:

1. Add more power.

2. Upgrade the torque converter. Now since nobody has done one yet, you should wait until there is a proven performance converter. We have a stock SRT QC coming in and the first thing we will be doing is testing converters on it.

Hang in there auto guys, help is on the way.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
tomato said:
The shift pattern/program in my new 05 QC definitely sucks - the only let-down with this truck. It doesn't look like the VEC allows you to adjust the trans (made for the manual), and Hypertech may or may not develop a programmer.

Any suggestions? My dealer says that they do not have updated programs, and they are not experienced enough to program "from scratch."

Thanks.
Tomato

So when you get on it full throttle will it scratch going into second gear or is the computor detuning the engine like it does with the hemi's?

patrick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John: I'll be waiting, anxiously!!! This thing is really a slushbox. The downshifts literally take a good second or more to complete.

Maui: Funny you should ask...It would chirp very nicely when it was brand new. Now that I have over 500 miles on it, it will not. The shifts seem to have gotten considerably softer and they take longer to complete. I thought maybe it was because she is my daily driver, and normal driving would cause the computer to program the trans accordingly. However, I make sure to push her every chance I get, but no change. Any insight?

Thanks again, all!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tomato...have you tried to calibrate the throttle? this works on the Hemi autos its worth a try.
1. turn the ign key to ON, but do not start the truck
2. at a fast pace step on the gas peddle and hold it to the floor and turn the ign key OFF. done

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SoCal: Any idea what exactly this does? Do I floor it and turn the key off with the pedal buried? Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Hemi's are drive -by-wire, no cable. The SRT-10's have a cable, so I don't think it will work. Now if the auto SRT's have a throttle pressure cable like my '96 Ram had, you can adjust the cable to hold gears a little longer at part throttle only, WOT is not effected.

Later,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
67PLY: Dude, you are the man! I was surprised to see what appeared to be a mechanical trans cable, but it is actually a cable connected to an electronic throttle position sensor just behind the butterfly. The adjustment is simple - pull out the plastic connector/holder, adjust the cable forward or back, and re-insert the connector (it has teeth to hold the electronic sensor in place).

Just took her out for a test - what a difference! I just need to loosen the cable back up a touch.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
DrivingSchool said:
Approx. 1200 miles on my QC and at full throttle the shift to second makes the tires sing.

Now we're talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Sing to me baby!!!!!

patrick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Tomato...

Any chance you could post a picture of which cable you adjusted?

After I read your last post I looked under my hood. There are 3 cables connected to the throttle butterfly. Two at the front part towards the bumper and a single behind. Is it the one behind that you adjusted? It has a small fat palstic ring around it held in place by a 3 sided white plastic clip. If so. did you make the cable longer or shorter?

Let me know.

Ernie...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem! Pic is attached. It is the 3rd cable near the bottom of the butterfly with the white clip. Simply pry the outside edges of the plastic clip slightly to get it to release - hold the cable in place when you remove this. If you slide the cable back (away from the mount on the butterfly and towards the firewall), you will increase the tension and make the trans hold gears longer and downshift earlier. Push the cable toward the mount to do the opposite.

It will take several adjustments to get it where you want. I suggest very slight changes - only 1/8-1/4" at a time. I went wat too far initially, and it just didn't shift nearly enough. It's taken me about 5 adjustments to get it where I like it. However, it still downshifts on braking too early. I am going to continue to play with it.

Strange, though, as I got it to really start chirping through the gears when it was too tight and not very driveable...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts