SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home the other evening after having had a whoop a$$ steak, I decided to open her up as I hadn't really done it in a while. It was about 9:45 at night and the traffic was sparse. I had been crusing anywhere from 105-130 for about 10 miles or so when I looked up and saw a car in my rearview that was right on my tail. I looked down at the speedometer and it said 105 mph. I thought it someone who wanted some [email protected] because my radar detector was silent and had been the whole time. It was about that time I saw the lights. I pulled over and the constable came up to my truck with his hand on the revolver. He was fcking irate, yelling and cussing about how he had been following me for miles and it had taken a long time for him to catch me, blah blah blah. Two other officers are on the scene at this point and they are all in my face yelling and cussing that they are gonna take me to jail for reckless driving. He asked me where I live and I kinda pointed in the direction and another guy slapped my arm down and told me to keep my hands down blah blah blah. He told the other two officers that he had followed me for over 6 miles and paced me at 115 and was having trouble catching me. I was thinking in my head, "b!tch I was going way faster than 115, that is why you were having trouble catchin me." This thing went on for a good 10 minutes or so. I don't drink, etc. (anymore) but they were convinced I had something on me or had been up to no good somewhere. Keep in mind, I had come from a business dinner, so I was wearing a dam suit and I am not giving them attitude or anything. But they were sweatin me like I had robbed an old folks home, burned down a church, and stolen a box of thinmints from a girlscout. After they were done flexing their egos, he just wrote me a ticket for 115 in a 65 and failure to signal lane change. And then they started asking me questions about the truck and acting like regular dudes. I was like WTF! Once they figured out that ALL I was doing was speeding, they were cool. They hadn't seen an SRT10 in the Houston area yet, so they were drooling. Not enough drool to wash that ink of the ticket book though, dam. They seemed to enjoy telling me that it was going to get stolen no matter how safe my neighborhood was. I thanked them (fuk, why did I do that....again) and headed home. I looked up the law for reckless driving and it is vague as hell, in Texas anyways, but is probably similar across most states. "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." Looks almost like anyone could be taken to jail for speeding under the law. Oh well, I knew it was only a matter of time. Watch out for those sneaky pacer-cops guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Man that sucks. I was also pulled over once for speeding and reckless driving. I was clocked doing 65 in a 45 and yes they took me to jail. Cops were in a bad mood that night I guess. They can hold you in jail for anything even speeding for 12 or so hours. Even if your not charged. Was let go the next day and the reckless charge was dropped. They can slap reckless driving on you for anything. I think anything over 10 over can be "reckless".

At least you didnt go to jail and have to deal with your truck being screwed up by the tow truck. I told them not to tow mine and instead they didnt let me roll my windows up and all my cd's were stolen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
I had been crusing anywhere from 105-130 for about 10 miles or so

Dude, you've got a pair! I guess I'm used to driving around here because I would never even consider this! Waaay, waaay too many cops in my area! :mad: *Maybe* a short burst of speed, but that's it, and slow right back down. :eek:


Don't know about Texas, but here in Pennsylvania 31mph over the posted limit is 5 points and an automatic 15 day suspension. Back in February the cops got me doing 89.9 in a 55, 4:30am, late for work, on a totally empty section of bypass. He was 'nice' enough to drop it to 85 so I didn't get the suspension, but I received all 5 points. Here, I think for 50mph over the cop would just take you over to the shoulder of the road and shoot you, but I'd have to double-check on that. :p

Hopefully they'll go a little easier on you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
On the plus side, I think you've got the record for 'Most Impressive Speeding Citation In A Ram SRT-10'. So, for what's it's worth - Congrats! Ya might as well frame the ticket and hang it on the wall!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Yeah I asked my cop buddies what the definition of reckless driving was and they said it's a complete judgement call. Sounds like you got lucky. What a bunch of a$$ holes, trying to be cool after they just read you the riot act. I would have told them they could either give me a ticket or give me a lecture, but not both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
He holds the record for the highest speeding ticket, but I have the record for the most frewuent ticket. 2 tickets in a 48 hour period. 1 60+ in a 40 (cop was cool wrote up for 5 over) next day 15 over ( cop was an ASS HOLE!!!!!!!! wrote up for all 15) so I went from having no points on the licence to 5 in a matter of 48 hours. Although I went to court on both of them and had them reduced to impeading traffic, which is no points but the fine is the same as the sppeding tickets, oh well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hamrhead said:
I think you've got the record for 'Most Impressive Speeding Citation In A Ram SRT-10'.
I would like to thank all those hard working folks at Dodge without which my my ass would still be driving a Ranger and getting no tickets at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So your little cop-o-meter didn't work? How much did you pay for it? Now I'm scared :(
It was given to me as a gift. The cop told me that he paced me, and that is why my cop-o-meter never went off. Sneaky mofo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Speeding ticket

I probably have the record for soonest speeding ticket after purchase. From the dealership in Oregon, drove it to California. The truck was less than 3 hrs old! 79 in a 55. Of course I got the "wow, this is the first one of THESE I've pulled over" I thought I might luck out and get a warning. No such luck. Had to do traffic school to keep it off my record.

Sorry to hear about your 115. I thought he said he paced you at 105?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
9 seconds said:
bortego,
2 questions. Where were you driving and where did you get the steak? Bummer on the ticket.
Beltway 8 (west side between Westheimer and 290), I was asking for trouble. The only reason, I think, he caught up to me before I exited 290, was that I had slowed down before going through the tollway EZtag.

Outback


Judging from everyone's comments, I see that I was dam lucky to avoid jail. I hear some of y'all talk about points in your states. That seems like a really harsh system. Automatic suspensions and stuff. Seems communist. I feel really lucky to just get a ticket even though I cannot take traffic school.

Congratulations to all the other "winners"!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,226 Posts
That's one of the nice things about living in Anchorage. The pd here is understaffed. Until just recently we didn't even have traffic cops..... We only have a few dedicated to traffic now. So with 300,000 plus people, your chances of getting caught are slim. And this would explain why Anchorage ranks among the highest speeders and red light runners per capita in the US.


"Knock on wood!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
bortego said:
Beltway 8 (west side between Westheimer and 290), I was asking for trouble. The only reason, I think, he caught up to me before I exited 290, was that I had slowed down before going through the tollway EZtag.

Outback


Judging from everyone's comments, I see that I was dam lucky to avoid jail. I hear some of y'all talk about points in your states. That seems like a really harsh system. Automatic suspensions and stuff. Seems communist. I feel really lucky to just get a ticket even though I cannot take traffic school.

Congratulations to all the other "winners"!!

Sorry to hear about your ticket. Nice write up though. One note though, Texas is going to the point system also so be careful..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
Bortegoooo has a lead foot...nah nah nah!

bortego said:
On the way home the other evening after having had a whoop a$$ steak, I decided to open her up as I hadn't really done it in a while. It was about 9:45 at night and the traffic was sparse. I had been crusing anywhere from 105-130 for about 10 miles or so when I looked up and saw a car in my rearview that was right on my tail. I looked down at the speedometer and it said 105 mph. I thought it someone who wanted some [email protected] because my radar detector was silent and had been the whole time. It was about that time I saw the lights. I pulled over and the constable came up to my truck with his hand on the revolver. He was fcking irate, yelling and cussing about how he had been following me for miles and it had taken a long time for him to catch me, blah blah blah. Two other officers are on the scene at this point and they are all in my face yelling and cussing that they are gonna take me to jail for reckless driving. He asked me where I live and I kinda pointed in the direction and another guy slapped my arm down and told me to keep my hands down blah blah blah. He told the other two officers that he had followed me for over 6 miles and paced me at 115 and was having trouble catching me. I was thinking in my head, "b!tch I was going way faster than 115, that is why you were having trouble catchin me." This thing went on for a good 10 minutes or so. I don't drink, etc. (anymore) but they were convinced I had something on me or had been up to no good somewhere. Keep in mind, I had come from a business dinner, so I was wearing a dam suit and I am not giving them attitude or anything. But they were sweatin me like I had robbed an old folks home, burned down a church, and stolen a box of thinmints from a girlscout. After they were done flexing their egos, he just wrote me a ticket for 115 in a 65 and failure to signal lane change. And then they started asking me questions about the truck and acting like regular dudes. I was like WTF! Once they figured out that ALL I was doing was speeding, they were cool. They hadn't seen an SRT10 in the Houston area yet, so they were drooling. Not enough drool to wash that ink of the ticket book though, dam. They seemed to enjoy telling me that it was going to get stolen no matter how safe my neighborhood was. I thanked them (fuk, why did I do that....again) and headed home. I looked up the law for reckless driving and it is vague as hell, in Texas anyways, but is probably similar across most states. "willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." Looks almost like anyone could be taken to jail for speeding under the law. Oh well, I knew it was only a matter of time. Watch out for those sneaky pacer-cops guys.
Oh B, I feel for you! Once you get that 'speed' in da blood, it addicting...
Hope you are ready for the next hit...Insurance Hike... and I don't mean as in football...Yikes!
But I bet it was a rush...!
drive safe...and take care,

Big D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
Hemi57 said:
you have to be going twice the speed limit to get arrested. good thing they didnt catch you going 130!
In Texas if you are going over 100, they can take you straight to the judge. Don't know if they call that arrested. I wore handcuffs for 101 (55) and just got a ticket for 115 (50). Go figure.:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
guess its different for different states. i thought it was universal that twice the speed limit was arresting. i know in colorado twice the speed limit you are arrested. good thing my truck is governed at 107 in those 55 zones ;)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top