SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to my local muffler shop to get the 2nd set of cats removed and they will not take them off said it was illegal. So how did you guys get it done? I live in Newport News VA

·
Registered
75 Posts
The guy here in TX tried to tell me the same thing, it is the second set, as long as you have cats it is ok, it does not say how many.....I would think.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called another muffler shop and lied to the guy I told him the truck came out of California that is why it had 4 cats and could he remove the second set. The answer was NO it was a felony then I asked what if I cut them out myself and bring the truck down for you to just add a piece of pipe. He still said NO That he could not put a piece of pipe back where a cat was. Then I told him that he would not know there had been a cat there if I hadn't told him. He then said but I do know.....geeze

·
Registered
75 Posts
Holy ****, it is not that big a deal.......... just find another shop and tell them you will pay cash. It is not like all the cats are removed. Their is still two. You guys must have some crazy laws.......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah we do I guess. I didn't think it was that big of a deal either especially if I cut them out before I took the truck to the shop. I was just in the garage looking at the exhaust, why is the second set of cats smaller then the first set? and also I noticed the O2 sensors are not in the cats but actually right behind them

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Ok since you're in Va I know you have a little red on the kneck so here goes. Two options;
First get in touch with Womsteer and order midpipes with cats, easy solution.
Second remove the mids and cut right behind the cats , be sure to mark alignment marks first, then hollow out the cats. Find a friend with a wire welder and reweld. That way they still look like they were there, plus withthe Vec you will be able to tune it to where you will pass emmisions. This is what I plan to do with Joannes QC so it will look legal and still pass emmisions.

Any Questions?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Stinker if you can tune to pass emissions with the vecII than why go thru all that trouble of the hollowed out 2nd set. Do they check that? I thought as long as she passes thats it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Virginia has some stupid laws like, Not only is it illegal to have sex with the lights on, one may not have sex in any position other than missionary or one the other hand in Stafford county it is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm. It is also stupid that it is 3 points for Drinking while driving while it is also 3 points for driving while wearing earphones. But to say it is a felony to cut off the second sets of cats without testing is stupid, I will talk to a couple troopers and find out if this guy is full of ****.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Yeah you should be able to tune it to pass emissions, the reason I'm just going to hollow out both sets of cats and just didn't want to buy another set of pipes, I'm half decent at welding and I figured that instead of buying new pipes I would just hollow all 4 of hers out , and when she went to get it inspected she wouldn't have any q's asked. She ordered her Vec from Sean this morning, he's a super guy, he's been talking and answering q's for her for about a week now, and hasn't complained about her yet!lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
What you need it to get some new mids made up that bolt into place so you can do it yourself and then swap it out with the stocker when you gotta go to emissions!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Likestospeed said:
Virginia has some stupid laws like, Not only is it illegal to have sex with the lights on, one may not have sex in any position other than missionary or one the other hand in Stafford county it is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm. It is also stupid that it is 3 points for Drinking while driving while it is also 3 points for driving while wearing earphones. But to say it is a felony to cut off the second sets of cats without testing is stupid, I will talk to a couple troopers and find out if this guy is full of ****.
Likestospeed, who are you talking about FULL OF **** me or the muffler guy? Brake King (757-247-5251) is where I took the truck and they said they could not remove the 2nd cats. Muffler King (757-244-1439) is where I called and he said he could not do it that is was a felony......from my previous thread.....I just called another muffler shop and lied to the guy I told him the truck came out of California that is why it had 4 cats and could he remove the second set. The answer was NO it was a felony then I asked what if I cut them out myself and bring the truck down for you to just add a piece of pipe. He still said NO That he could not put a piece of pipe back where a cat was. Then I told him that he would not know there had been a cat there if I hadn't told him. He then said but I do know.....geeze

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Nobody can modify federally mandated emission controls without breaking the law. The state doesn't matter. You just have to find someone you can fool or who will take the risk.

·
Registered
241 Posts
04SRTRAM said:
[/COLOR] Likestospeed, who are you talking about FULL OF **** me or the muffler guy?
Wow, slow down... I would never call another user full of ****, I have been a cop and it sounded fishy to me on the part of the muffler guy. I have heard of it being a petty misdemeanor but never a felony but times do change. I have been wrong before and will continue to be wrong, probably a lot, if I gave the impression of calling you out I am sorry, it was intended to be directed at the muffler guy not you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
in pennsylvania we have to do a visual check we have a book with every car in it when you look up the car or truck it will tell how many converters it has, where charcoal canister is located etc. then after we look and make sure its there we test your..........................gascap!! im removing my cats with mofos pipes but i know a guy who will sticker it

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Dam what a pain in the azz.....Phillip what about trying some non-franchise place....like some independent shop and mention your gonna pay in cash. There has to be some sort of speed shop that can direct you to a friendly shop to get the work done.

I guess I am lucky in that dept. here.....No cats required....they dont have emission testing here....they dont even look under the car.

patrick

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
BigDodgeInAlaska said:
In Alaska we can get IM waivers as long as the vehicle is parked between Nov 1st and March 31st... So no testing is required!! :D
Cool, They are not that trusting here in Ma. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts