SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has switched the rear end gear. I was thinking about putting the 4.56 in. If anyone has, were you hapy with the results and what is your rpm reading at 80 mph, right now it's at a little over 1500 rpm at 80 with the 4.10 I would appreciate any info.

·
Registered
87 Posts
rpm

Switching to 4.56 gears from 4.10 will raise your rpm by a little over 11%. If you were 1500 at 80 you will be just north of 1650 with the new gears.

Scot

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
RPMvs MPH

4.10 Rear ratio in 6th gear (.5)
70 MPH = 1526 RPM
80 MPH = 1744 RPM

4.56 Rear ratio in 6th gear (.5)
70 MPH = 1697 RPM
80 MPH = 1940 RPM

This is with a stock diameter tire, 31.6"...........Jack

·
Registered
974 Posts
Marc T said:
I have thes gears and at 75 MPH I am right on 1750 RPM Give or take 10.
Stock Wheels
Marc T,

Now that you have the 4.56 gears what's your thoughts? We need feed back dood :D :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Marc T said:
Best seat of the pants mod Ive done. No problems with over 4000 miles on them.

Oh yeah that's good news :D :D

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I do want to bring up the fact that the gears I bought are racing gears made of a hard metal composition so there is a little gear ring when cruisin. I don't even notice it anymore. Well worth it!!!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Marc T said:
Mike,

Precision Gear has everything you need!!!!
Marc -

Thanks for the link - You are Da Man!! :cool:

I'll be ringing their phone next week cuz I'm tired of waiting!!! MAybe I can get 'em AND get 'em installed over my 2 week vacation right after Christmas!

Sounds like a great Christmas Gift to ME!! :D ;)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Marc T said:
I do want to bring up the fact that the gears I bought are racing gears made of a hard metal composition so there is a little gear ring when cruisin. I don't even notice it anymore. Well worth it!!!
Marc, Racing gears sometimes called pro gears have a different alloy than street gears and are actually softer. This is done to stand up to the shock loads incurred while racing. Racing/Pro gears generally wear out faster on the street............Jack

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
fstjack said:
Marc, Racing gears sometimes called pro gears have a different alloy than street gears and are actually softer. This is done to stand up to the shock loads incurred while racing. Racing/Pro gears generally wear out faster on the street............Jack
Jack

I stand corrected. You are right. I have checked and the gears that were installed were not the racing gears. When I got the gears there was a tech sheet that stated some gear noise is normal with the metals that they use.

I asummed that they were racing gears thinking harder would be tougher.

Shows where assumptions will get you!!

Thanks for setting it strait!!!

This is why I like this board. Lots of great info!!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Marc -

When you called Precision and ordered your gears, what info did you have to furnish? OR, did they pretty much know what part #'s you needed, along with which installation kit?

I was just poking around on their site and I see at least 6 different install kits, along with numerous types of differentials and gear sets. Kinda confusing. :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hamrhead said:
Marc -

When you called Precision and ordered your gears, what info did you have to furnish? OR, did they pretty much know what part #'s you needed, along with which installation kit?

I was just poking around on their site and I see at least 6 different install kits, along with numerous types of differentials and gear sets. Kinda confusing. :confused:

Thanks
Mike,

I had my dealership order and install them. So I don't have part numbers. I do remember having to change the bearings due to different shaft Dia. I will call them tommorrow and see if they can give me part numbers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the feedback. I am goin to take my truck in to DTS tomorrow to have the 4.56 instaled, they said they will have it back to me on the same day. So, I'll let you guys know what I think about the change once I get it broke in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts