SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at offering a single turbo system for the Ram SRT10 trucks. It would be intercooled on about 7 psi boost and make 600-650 rw hp. Torque would be an impressive 700+ rw lb-ft.

We like the Paxton system and have been selling them. I feel that the single turbo system would be in the ballpark of what somebody might spend on blower, install, headers and exhaust. The single turbo would offer comperable peak power numbers but much greater torque and greater overall power numbers in the low to mid rpm range.

Anyway, your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
John there is always interest. I guess my questions would be:

1) Cost, Cost and Cost.

2) Would this be a kit available or strictly an install at your facility?

3) I would assume with only 7 lbs of boost the stock internals can be utilized?

Thanks...T

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
womsterr said:
John there is always interest. I guess my questions would be:

1) Cost, Cost and Cost.

2) Would this be a kit available or strictly an install at your facility?

3) I would assume with only 7 lbs of boost the stock internals can be utilized?

Thanks...T
Yes - I am thinking that the system could be offered as a complete kit for $15k. It would be designed to be installed in a 10-20 man hour time frame by any good tech.

Yes, stock internals.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
John Hennessey said:
We are looking at offering a single turbo system for the Ram SRT10 trucks. It would be intercooled on about 7 psi boost and make 600-650 rw hp. Torque would be an impressive 700+ rw lb-ft.

We like the Paxton system and have been selling them. I feel that the single turbo system would be in the ballpark of what somebody might spend on blower, install, headers and exhaust. The single turbo would offer comperable peak power numbers but much greater torque and greater overall power numbers in the low to mid rpm range.

Anyway, your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I, for one, am very interested but would be several months away from having the budget for it.

Here's an unrelated question. Have you heard of and what do you think of STS turbos? They're near where I live here in Utah. There have been several article written about them lately in different car magazines. They install turbos under the vehicle about where the mufflers go and plumb the forced air back up to the intake. It seems to me that having the turbo that far away from the engine would be pretty inefficient. I guess the trade off is less clutter and heat in the engine bay. Anyway, I'm very interested in your thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
210 Posts
darksyde what intake? can i use it with the paxton?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
DarkSyde said:
trucks..... I LOVE the Roe SC, and especially love the fact that it is always useful power (no lag at all, bc of the fact it is belt-driven, not centrifugal...AND IT IS COMING WITH AN INTERCOOLER!!!!!! Talk about **** loads of readily available torque, there it is!!!) With the Roe, Installed, along with Headers, Intake, etc, you are looking at a grand total of around ~$7k for everything, and with it, you never have to worry about boost lag, boost spikes, etc.....

a Single Turbo 96 Supra, and also a single trubo Rx-7), but for these trucks, I would prefer the roots/eaton style idea, hence imidiate torque, all over the place.....
I'm by no means an expert so someone correct me if I am wrong, and I'm slightly off topic, so YES I'd be interested in a single turbo solution ;).

Back to my point. A tradtional SC/Blower roots/eaton style sits on top of the engine, and is ramming air straight down. With the Paxton and Roe SC they are off to the side and force air into pipe which creates lag, coupled with the small pulley which is driven with the accessories belt the front of the engine so it is RPM based. Paxton/Roe is like scooping air versus the roots system cramming air. Not to mention the roots/eaton style have the gear box on them and are on 100% of the time, ready, cramming air.

Like I said I'm not an expert, but that is what I know to be true and accurate.

Craig

·
Registered
220 Posts
definitely an interest to me! Still not in my budget though. But yes, hopefully someday.

·
Registered
447 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
I'm by no means an expert so someone correct me if I am wrong, and I'm slightly off topic, so YES I'd be interested in a single turbo solution ;).

Back to my point. A tradtional SC/Blower roots/eaton style sits on top of the engine, and is ramming air straight down. With the Paxton and Roe SC they are off to the side and force air into pipe which creates lag, coupled with the small pulley which is driven with the accessories belt the front of the engine so it is RPM based. Paxton/Roe is like scooping air versus the roots system cramming air. Not to mention the roots/eaton style have the gear box on them and are on 100% of the time, ready, cramming air.

Like I said I'm not an expert, but that is what I know to be true and accurate.

Craig
Craig- You're really close. The Roots/Eaton systems are also belt-driven, but do have a different method of forcing the air/fuel to the engine. The Paxton (since they were mentioned first) is a centrifugal blower/huffer/supercharger. It's closer to a turbocharger than the Roots/Eaton systems where two (or three) lobe intertwining shafts grab the air from above, compact it with their lobe/twist design, then push it into the intake manifold. Think of it as a ball of dough and using a rolling pin to make it flat. (The "twin screw" design is a lot like this one as well.)

The Paxton/Novi setup is very effecient, but uses a different method of packing the fuel/air mix. It draws in the cooled air, then does a funnel-type of compression. It works just as well as the Roots/Eaton systems, but does it in a small amount of underhood space, which makes it popular for aftermarket guys because you can put it just about anywhere, then plumb acccordingly (The Roots/Eaton blowers were built to replace regular intake manifolds, and thus had to sit atop the engine and usually stick out of the hood).

My own personal theory is that if you're looking for 0-100mph, get a supercharger; if you're looking for 60-"lots of trouble", check into turbo charging. If you want both, seek professional help (and I don't mean calling John Hennessey. LMAO).

I can think of two movies that you might have seen where Hollywood added to the mystique of the Roots/Eaton-type blowers. Well, first off, if you see one sticking out of the hood, you immediately realize you're dealing with a serious machine. :) Secondly, they tend to show guys turning the blower "on" and "off". This can be seen in "Road Warrior" sporting a cool custom 'bug catcher' on a Weiand 6-71, and in "My Science Project" with a GMC 8-71 (the GTO in My Science Project is f-ing fantastic, BTW). If you can't find My Science Project at your local Blockbuster, I'd be happy to loan you my DVD of it. Yes- it's sad that I bought a DVD not for Dennis Hopper, but for a blown GTO. :D

Wait a second....WTF are you posting for? Don't you have seven SRT-10's, and couple of them John is massaging into Enzo killers?
LOL

Back on topic:
I agree with most here- while 700HP sounds good, $15K is a bit steep.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUICKSILVER said:
I got my 700+hp for $5,000 less!..........and there is NO/LAG time!!!!!!!
Nothing but GO FORWARD FAST!!!
Very happy!!!

:cool:
Quick;-)
There is LAG with the Paxton. There is 6' of hose that air is being stuffed with before it hits the engine. Grant it, it isn't much (or as much as the turbo), but compared to roots/eaton approach there is a noticable lag.

Craig

·
Registered
974 Posts
DarkSyde said:
I like the idea of a single trubo kit, but the cost is IMHO WAAAAAY too high on all Turbo kits...... The Paxton does well for its price, but I am awaiting the arrival of the Roe SC, wich will be available soon for the trucks..... I LOVE the Roe SC, and especially love the fact that it is always useful power (no lag at all, bc of the fact it is belt-driven, not centrifugal...AND IT IS COMING WITH AN INTERCOOLER!!!!!! Talk about **** loads of readily available torque, there it is!!!) With the Roe, Installed, along with Headers, Intake, etc, you are looking at a grand total of around ~$7k for everything, and with it, you never have to worry about boost lag, boost spikes, etc.....

So, I guess for me Turbos are cool (had several imports in my younger days, a Single Turbo 96 Supra, and also a single trubo Rx-7), but for these trucks, I would prefer the roots/eaton style idea, hence imidiate torque, all over the place.....
Just my opinion, I would serisouly look into a turbo kit, but not when I can get reliable numbers close to that from the Roe, and for less than half the price, without lag, and the oh so beautiful looks sound and useable power....

Good luck with the kit, I am sure lotsa people will absolutely LOVE IT!!! :cool: :cool:
TJ

I am with you on this one. I'll wait for the RR SC..

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I also heard that Kenne Bell was coming out with one for the viper, maybe for the srt 10 truck, has anyone heard about those?

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
stinker said:
I also heard that Kenne Bell was coming out with one for the viper, maybe for the srt 10 truck, has anyone heard about those?
No, but if ya feel like calling KB :D ---> 909-941-6646

·
Registered
599 Posts
careful with Kenne Bell blowers. The first ones for the "lightning" had serious issues. (they ate themselves) KB has since stepped up and redesigned them.

One thing you may want to do is conTACT WHIPPLE.

They are begining (still in test phase) 2 blowers for the lightning. one is a 2.2L Which is GIANT compared to the stock eaton. the other is a RACE VERSION 3.3L. They say it is streetable but, can easily push 30# of psi.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would love to buy one, but right now i am stuck over here in Iraq. But if someone get one put on there trucks and it has some good track times. I'll give you a call in about a year.

·
Registered
974 Posts
zex-srt10 said:
I would love to buy one, but right now i am stuck over here in Iraq. But if someone get one put on there trucks and it has some good track times. I'll give you a call in about a year.
What are you doing in Iraq? Military or Civilian ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am a Airborne Military Police. And i hope i can save up some money so i can eather put a supercharger, or put a turbo kit on my truck when i get back.

·
Registered
974 Posts
zex-srt10 said:
I am a Airborne Military Police. And i hope i can save up some money so i can eather put a supercharger, or put a turbo kit on my truck when i get back.
God bless you man :) Tell the soldiers were dam proud of ya..
I am going for the super charger myself. Waiting for Roe Racing to finish one for our trucks.

Just remembered something. I saw a pic of a huge spider from Iraq. Have you see any of these monsters? If so post a pic. I would be sleeping with one eye open with those monsters around.. hehe :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yea, i seen about two or three of those camal spiders, But i have my eyes out for the sand viper, There bite can cause death if you don't treat it with in onr hour. Do you know when Roe Racing is coming out with there super charger. It is hard to find these thing out over here. Just have about 15 min on the computer to check the forum.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts