SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the truck alot. I own a lightning and its getting kinda ratty and ford decided not to go into production until december 2005 on the lightning so....Im gonna get the srt BUT...here is my dilemna...My girl also drives my lightning once in a while and truth is ...stick is a pain in the ass every day...I read on the forum that there will be an auto offered in the fall...does anyone know if this is true? if so Id consider waiting...but I also read in another thread that its a quad cab only...well Im not looking for a quad cab...Does anyone have any real info on this? I spoke to a local dealer and they have absolutely no idea and told me this is a one year only truck...if it wont be available in an automatic...does anyone here know anyone in south florida who could do the conversion to auto? whats involved? I think its the diesel auto tranny

John

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hi John,
Welcome aboard. Right now Bill Pemberton is trying to figure out if the auto will be in the quad cab only. The recent press release doesn't mention the regular cab SRT at all so I'm not sure what's going on there. As is not uncommon, the salesman at your dealership are wrong about the 1 year thing. Hang in there for a while and all the correct info will come out.

As for an auto conversion, it has been done a few time on Vipers. Some get fancy and use Powerglides. The shop I know of (Texas) who did one used a tranny from a diesel truck with the stock stall converter. No need for a high stall with that much torque available down low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the name of the shop in texas? What did it cost? maybe I can buy a truck local to them and have them finish it up..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
John,
Since I don't have 1st hand information myself I sent you a PM with the names of some who do. If/when you have this done, please come back and share your experience.

Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I couldnt wait...got a good deal on my lightning and traded it in today for a black with nav srt-10...

I dont want to be flamed but this truck feels BIG and its also kinda funny the steering it kicks back a little...I think the wheels are way too heavy and big could be the reason...definitely not as quick and agile as the ligtning...but...mine was lowered and had some go-fast goodies on it...after now owning it and driving the srt-10 i feel the potential...but it absolutely needs an auto transmission...feels like a tow truck or big diesel...definitely not a sports truck...I will document everything I do to this as I go (trust me there will be alot, if you search other mesage boards u will see some of my other projects Ive done including a very insane mitsu evo) I would like as much input as possible...any good shops in south florida?

John

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hopefully I can find out this week, but stay way far away from conversions on this truck. They have done only a very , very few on Vipers and they were complete disasters. We spent an inordinate amount of time working to get one to operate ( we did not do the conversion ),but it was a labor of time. I would make alot of sense to do a reg.cab with the auto, but then we are all the rational ones, right? ( Ha)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Pesto360 said:
well I couldnt wait...got a good deal on my lightning and traded it in today for a black with nav srt-10...

I dont want to be flamed but this truck feels BIG and its also kinda funny the steering it kicks back a little...I think the wheels are way too heavy and big could be the reason...definitely not as quick and agile as the ligtning...but...mine was lowered and had some go-fast goodies on it...after now owning it and driving the srt-10 i feel the potential...but it absolutely needs an auto transmission...feels like a tow truck or big diesel...definitely not a sports truck...I will document everything I do to this as I go (trust me there will be alot, if you search other mesage boards u will see some of my other projects Ive done including a very insane mitsu evo) I would like as much input as possible...any good shops in south florida?

John
You won't see the potential of this truck till around 1500 miles. Be sure to break it in other wise your lible to have clutch problems... As for the handling/stearing it drives like a dream... Maybe your just not use to a tight stearing gearbox and firm race tuck ride.. I personaly love the manual tranmission it take some getting use to but once you master it... look out :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hows this sound..Ive done some homework but not sure if Im there yet.... it seems the diesel transmission can handle the torque , the 48re...if not how about the auto trannys that went behind the truck v10, those made 450ft lbs.Im sure with that as a startung block a good tranny shop can beef that up...and if its the same basic block Im sure it should all bolt on...any ideas?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pesto360 said:
Hows this sound..Ive done some homework but not sure if Im there yet.... it seems the diesel transmission can handle the torque , the 48re...if not how about the auto trannys that went behind the truck v10, those made 450ft lbs.Im sure with that as a startung block a good tranny shop can beef that up...and if its the same basic block Im sure it should all bolt on...any ideas?

Personally, I think putting an automatic on RAM SRT/10 is just plain wrong, that is just my opinion. I personally love getting into the truck. Grabbing that gear shift, and smokin the tires in 1st and 2nd. I drive it WOT 90% of the time, surpassed 6,000 miles over the weekend. The truck rocks, plain an simple. Automatics are for sissies.. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i respect your opinion..I just dont think its a sporty enough vehicle for manual transmission...and even those that are sporty are super-improved with paddle shifters...but...to each his own...Im more concerned with how to get this done at this point..seems i keep hitting dead ends

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
IMO, I don't think too many of us can be all that helpful to you, as part of the reason we love these trucks so much IS the manual transmission. Hell, if DC made it a manual from the factory, I'd probably still own a Lightning. Well, maybe. ;)

'Super-Improved with paddle shifters'?? - Like you said, ' to each his own', but IMO letting a computer do the shifting takes some of the 'sport' out of the vehicle. There's nothing like grabbing your own gears! :cool:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hamrhead said:
IMO, I don't think too many of us can be all that helpful to you, as part of the reason we love these trucks so much IS the manual transmission. Hell, if DC made it a manual from the factory, I'd probably still own a Lightning. Well, maybe. ;)

'Super-Improved with paddle shifters'?? - Like you said, ' to each his own', but IMO letting a computer do the shifting takes some of the 'sport' out of the vehicle. There's nothing like grabbing your own gears! :cool:
No doubt. An automatic transmission on an SRT/10, is like putting training wheels, on a Yamaha VMAX! :)

Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I need the training wheels...truth is Im gonna build a pretty wild truck just not sure exactly what yet...Ive gone on a few forums and there doesnt seem to be much input on any mods for the truck..especially the auto conversion ...it was much easier doing a mitsu evo build up...I had alot of positive input...I dont see why its such a negative thing to put an auto in....the lightning has an auto and dollar for dollar the lightning pretty much spanks these trucks across the board...I personally dont see the need for a manual transmission in this truck...it makes it feel evgen more trucky..I know youre getting all this hennessey work done and thats great...but...for what youre spending...you could make a lightning just as fast for half the price...but then again at the end of that day Ill be in the same boat as you...Im also building one of these...I already did the lightning thing and I found out the lightning isnt going into production until dec 05 so I fgured I might as well get one of these...Im just very disapointed in this truck...you claimed once before that it handles well...I dont think it handles well at all...its very sloppy and u get alot of negative feedback from these oversized overweight wheels..it feels big..and is big...not very agile at all..and I think its geared too high as well..I have 76 miles on the truck and I also feel a little slipping on the clutch already...kinda sad...I do however feel this truck once the bugs and shortcomings are worked out will be an amazing vehicle...I plan on working all these issues out and documenting them all...but wouldnt it be better if we all managed to be supportive? Works better that way and makes it alot more fun...Im thinking of even going with a 20 inch HRE to lose some of that rotating mass, cut down the gearing a bit by doing that as well...Ill have to adjust the speedo and putting in some urethane bushings...I havent dived into the suspension yet but that will probably be my first mod since Im undecided on what engine mods to do..I may do a turbo or supercharger....my last project a mitsu evo put 442whp down on pump gas to the wheels on 93 octane ...impressive from 2.0 liters....now that cars back to push that magic number to 500whp (600 hp)..I think this truck can probably push close to 750whp on 93 octane with the help of a turbo or supercharger but Ill leave that up to the experts to figure for me...any input is appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hamrhead said:

The most competitive automobile racing has gone the way of paddles and technology...F1, Rally all use sequential or paddles....ferrari, lambo...all of the super exotics...I understand where you are coming from though...it feels like that old school muscle car...even handles like one...what I want for my truck is a little different...variety is good...you want to show how versatile these trucks can be...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would wait and see what the automatic in the quad cab consists of. There is a possibility that the Quad SRT-10 will only come with automatic, then I'm sure there will be somebody who would be interested in swapping out to the manual. Everybody wins, but still quite a bit of money involved in removing and installing. If anything all of the required part numbers will be available on what the factory is going to use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You do realize the amount of work this is going to take right? The removal of the entire clutch system, installing and mating the auto to the Viper engine, overcoming torque management, etc. You're going to need a complete stand alone PCM to do this. The outcome is not going to be worth the money you invest in it. End of story. If you think an auto is going to be that much faster in the 1/4, it must be from a lack of shifting skill.

All the supercars are not going to paddle shifting either. Porsche Carrera GT, Koenigsegg CCR, Pagani Zonda S, and the rest are still using a stick.

Have you ever driven an automatic Ram? Any idea how slow their trannys are? Ever driven one with way too much power going to it? I've driven Terry Delong's turbo/intercooled Lil' Red Hemi Express from last year's SEMA show. That engine puts out 600rwhp and the tranny destorys the otherwise perfect truck. He ran out of time before the show, there was going to be a 5 speed in it. Even my own Hemi Feature Vehicle from '03 SEMA puts out more power than the tranny can take, it's just too slow at shifting.

Has anyone checked the weight on the SRT's rims? Their forged Aluminum, can't be that much. Rotaional mass would not effect the handling at all. The custom one-off forged Aluminum 22x9" rims from Colorado Customs on my SEMA Ram weighed in just over 25lbs each.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Talked to a bud of mine and he said off the record he does not know of any talk of putting an automatic in the Reg. Cab. He wondered if there was any real market for it, which makes me think that the issue maybe didn't come up. We may have to be content with just an auto in the Quad Cab, but with limited number vehicles, sometimes they just can't do all the developemental work to justify certain changes. I would say if you really want an auto Reg. Cab to fire off tons of emails to DC. Hope this somewhat answers so questions, but for now this is about all I could glean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys thanks alot for this input....as far as auto tranys being sluggish when power goes to them...well Im not sure...My lightning made alot of power and that tranny held up fine and shifted fine...Im sure a good transmission shop could make somethign work once we figure out what to do...Ive already written an email to dodge..and called their performance aftermaket division and they told me they have no idea...What I need is someone in PVO to give me a bit of their time...Ive checked everywhere not a phone number for pvo and not an email address...if anyone can help me id appreciate it....now I know im going to get some press with this truck and definitely tv time so I imagine it would be to their interest to do it..remember this is a promo truck....so in the end it will be pretty interesting...and outside of the auto/stick opinion Id love everyones input on what should be done to this...Im thinking a set of HRE 20 inch on a lowered truck...maybe a belltech lowering kit for the front...the stock wheels weight 79.4 pounds wheel and tire on my digital scale...Wayyyyyyyyy too heavy these are super DUBS...my opinion I dont think they belong on a sport truck..I appreciate everyones input and opinions

Thank You

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pesto360 said:
.I know youre getting all this hennessey work done and thats great...but...for what youre spending...you could make a lightning just as fast for half the price...but then again at the end of that day Ill be in the same boat as you...
Yea, it's only money. And besides, I'm not a big fan of Ford to be honest. I drove and Econoline E-250, then a Ranger. Definately Fix or Repair Daily.

I Love my RAM SRT/10's, in fact I'm adding a couple more to my collection. I love all my D-C products (and GM, Honda, Yamaha, Nissan).

I've driven a few fast performance vehicles. I can tell you that the SRT/10 is very agile, and the road feedback is great.

Craig

1 - 20 of 64 Posts