SRT10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
How many "promo" vehicles have you done? How many have been feature/booth vehicles at SEMA (Gold Lot doesn't count)? Who are your major sponsors? Have you done any prototyping/engineering work for major manufacturers that has then been marketed? Do you have a formal rendering with complete proposal?

Not bashing, just asking. This is what I do for a living.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well , good luck with Belltech,or DJM or Bilstein for that matter.I have tried, and was told there is no way they are going to make a kit due to the limited prod. of our truck.Closest i got was being told: for 3000 grand or so and weeks without the truck Bilstein would handle it.That's just for coils.
But if you have the cash i guess it doesn't matter-..............now does it?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Lucifer said:
How many "promo" vehicles have you done? How many have been feature/booth vehicles at SEMA (Gold Lot doesn't count)? Who are your major sponsors? Have you done any prototyping/engineering work for major manufacturers that has then been marketed? Do you have a formal rendering with complete proposal?

3 - Sirius, Kicker, and SoundStream.

I'll be at SEMA this year at the Bellagio. Look for the Platinum Escalade painted to match, with all kinds of trick stuff.

Also, look for my Yellow Rumble Bee at the Funk Master Flex Show in Tampa July 3rd.

OH, and by the way, if this is what you do for a living. Why not ask what features people want most, instead of wrecking a great truck with an auto tranny. Maybe then you'll get some positive feeback and support for a worthwhile project.

Craig

·
Registered
22 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
3 - Sirius, Kicker, and SoundStream.

I'll be at SEMA this year at the Bellagio. Look for the Platinum Escalade painted to match, with all kinds of trick stuff.

Also, look for my Yellow Rumble Bee at the Funk Master Flex Show in Tampa July 3rd.

OH, and by the way, if this is what you do for a living. Why not ask what features people want most, instead of wrecking a great truck with an auto tranny. Maybe then you'll get some positive feeback and support for a worthwhile project.

Craig
Wrong person Craig, I'm not the one doing the auto conversion.

I'll also be at SEMA this year with a Black H1 on custom 20"s (Should be in the Katzkin or Mitek booth), black Carrera GT with custom knockoffs and a black 300C on custom 22"s.

I was there last year with a Ram 1500 Hemi in the Dynatech Headers Booth (They still use our rendering for advertising), a custom chopper in the Global booth, and a Chevy regular cab/short bed with a Duramax and matching chopper in the Leer booth.

Our sponsors are Katzkin, Mitek(XTANT), Colorado Customs, Dynatech Headers, Air Ride Tech, Profinish-Proglass, MBRP Inc, Toyo, Airaid, Nitrous Express, Wise Ind., Street Scene, and Stainless Steel Brake Co.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
HAHA. No Worries. I got off track, er off thread :).. I'll also have a SRT10 on Custom 26" GFG's there as well.

Craig
Good deal, as we get closer to November I'll PM you for some info. We can meet up and go to some afterparties, AutoZones was killer last year with Jesse James. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Lucifer said:

Many of my cars have been featured in magazines..Once at SEMA..Im not looking to do a "better than you" thread I really came here looking for direction...for some reason this offends people that Im converting to auto..My opinion the truck is a little sloppy but has great potential...10x3 seems to think its a sin that Im doing this...which is cool he is entitled to his opinion...I think its great what hes doing..sounds like alot of fun projects, if this truck is done in time..it will be at SEMA as well..I dont do proto-typing or engineering...Im not looking for additional sponsorship at this moment but Im always open to suggestions since you are a professional

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pesto360 said:
My opinion the truck is a little sloppy but has great potential...10x3 seems to think its a sin that Im doing this...which is cool he is entitled to his opinion...I think its great what hes doing..sounds like alot of fun projects, if this truck is done in time..it will be at SEMA as well..I dont do proto-typing or engineering...Im not looking for additional sponsorship at this moment but Im always open to suggestions since you are a professional
My real problem isn't with the auto conversion. Its that you continue to bash the truck in every sentence you write. Take the above. It's sloppy according to you. It's this, it's that. Well ****, then leave it the "F" alone and move onto something else. Or better yet work on a project for the truck that the masses can enjoy or would want. If your doing it just so you said you can do it, and there is no market for it, why expect help/praise for a project no-one is interested in. If you want help, etc make a convertible out of it, put T-TOPS in it, make a sunroof kit, suicide the doors, or increase the horse power.

Or alternately. "He my wife is disabled, she wants to drive fast, she loves the truck, I need to make it automatic for her" versus "The truck is ****, the transmission is sloppy, anyone know how to make an auto tranny work in this thing to actually make it worth somethin?" Make sense?

Craig

·
Registered
22 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
My real problem isn't with the auto conversion. Its that you continue to bash the truck in every sentence you write. Take the above. It's sloppy according to you. It's this, it's that. Well ****, then leave it the "F" alone and move onto something else. Or better yet work on a project for the truck that the masses can enjoy or would want. If your doing it just so you said you can do it, and there is no market for it, why expect help/praise for a project no-one is interested in. If you want help, etc make a convertible out of it, put T-TOPS in it, make a sunroof kit, suicide the doors, or increase the horse power.

Or alternately. "He my wife is disabled, she wants to drive fast, she loves the truck, I need to make it automatic for her" versus "The truck is ****, the transmission is sloppy, anyone know how to make an auto tranny work in this thing to actually make it worth somethin?" Make sense?

Craig
I agree, same reason I became defensive. Nothing worse than someone bashing a vehicle but then claiming that it's going to be this amazing show platform. Don't like the stick? Find a VCA Edition to work with.

As for it going to '04 SEMA, I couldn't find Shining Monkey Inc. listed in the SEMA directory. Where is it going to be placed? I'll come by on Monday the 1st once I've been placed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pesto360 said:
well I couldnt wait...got a good deal on my lightning and traded it in today for a black with nav srt-10...

I dont want to be flamed but this truck feels BIG and its also kinda funny the steering it kicks back a little...I think the wheels are way too heavy and big could be the reason...definitely not as quick and agile as the ligtning...but...mine was lowered and had some go-fast goodies on it...after now owning it and driving the srt-10 i feel the potential...but it absolutely needs an auto transmission...feels like a tow truck or big diesel...definitely not a sports truck...I will document everything I do to this as I go (trust me there will be alot, if you search other mesage boards u will see some of my other projects Ive done including a very insane mitsu evo) I would like as much input as possible...any good shops in south florida?

John
youll be sorry. Bought a 2000 L brand new. Racked up 84000 miles before I traded it for a silver SRT-10 ram. I now have almost 9,000 miles on my ram. I noticed almost right away how sluggish the ram is. I JUST had my recall finished today, and didnt do a thing for the trucks performance. I did mention to the service guy my feelings about the weak performance, and of course I knew what the answer was going to be " truck drives fine". I keep waiting for the engine to come alive. I am in it 50K deep so I have to live with this. If I knew what I know now, there is NO WAY I would have traded my L. Im gonna make a few payments, and then trade is back for an L, and they can keep this hunk of ****. I know you guys will flame me for saying this crap, but what is true is true. I dont make too many BAD choices, but this was one of them. Happy with appearace, interior, comfort, stereo, very dependable, will get me from A-B, performance, and gas milage is HORRIBLE! , and that is compared to my L. BTW my L was bone stock with 360hp :(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Vegas-viper-ram said:
I noticed almost right away how sluggish the ram is. I JUST had my recall finished today, and didnt do a thing for the trucks performance. I did mention to the service guy my feelings about the weak performance, and of course I knew what the answer was going to be " truck drives fine". I keep waiting for the engine to come alive. I am in it 50K deep so I have to live with this.
I guess you got one of the SLOW RAM SRT/10's :rolleyes: But seriously, it is a V-10, give her some RPM's she'll come quite alive. Seat of the pants fast, and numbers fast are two different things. So aside from "feeling" slow, or having "weak" performance, have you run any numbers? Do you have a baseline from your "L"? My friends R33 doesn't "feel" fast, but there isn't much faster out there. ;)

Craig

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Lucifer said:
I agree, same reason I became defensive. Nothing worse than someone bashing a vehicle but then claiming that it's going to be this amazing show platform. Don't like the stick? Find a VCA Edition to work with.

As for it going to '04 SEMA, I couldn't find Shining Monkey Inc. listed in the SEMA directory. Where is it going to be placed? I'll come by on Monday the 1st once I've been placed.
Im not here looking to promote myself or any company Im involved with..SEMA has not published who will be attending in Nov so I dont know where u got this from but I would rather not discuss or promote or get into any further discussion of this because of the turn this has taken...I dont want to get into a pissing match...trust me what little you know of me is real and Im not a flake looking to brag...I dont put a list of my cars in my signature...or id be bashed some more...why not have an intelligent discussion .if I were to do that Id be a paying sponsor..I came here looking for some direction and answers ....every car has a weakness or inability....isnt it nice if we can work it out? figure it out and make it better...to say these are perfect would be misleading by us all...These trucks have some engineering flaws..but Im sure they can be worked out....the VCA edition comes in auto? I thought those were just replicas with a 6 speed?...At sema Im sure we can meet and discuss where and what we have both done or even in private messages...It isnt fair for others to read this and it really is off the subject..I shouldnt have mentioned it was a promo vehicle....I simply posted some issues I have with my truck and Im surprised that others havent realized these issues as well...as far as the twin turbo hennessey truck...wow looks like a real nice manifold....does that $42k upgrade include internals and a stand alone? or do they just bolt on to a stock block and relfash the stock computer? Which turbos are used? Im actually considering this after seeing the pictures from another thread...but Im just a little unsure about why its $42k if internals arent part of it...I visited hennesseys site and the 650R package was close in price but included internals and was n/a...is the 800 kit internals plus twin turbo? Im not bashing im asking what justifies the price..if it makes sense...Id like to see when there may be an opening for my truck..

·
Registered
272 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
I guess you got one of the SLOW RAM SRT/10's :rolleyes: But seriously, it is a V-10, give her some RPM's she'll come quite alive. Seat of the pants fast, and numbers fast are two different things. So aside from "feeling" slow, or having "weak" performance, have you run any numbers? Do you have a baseline from your "L"? My friends R33 doesn't "feel" fast, but there isn't much faster out there. ;)

Craig
One thing I did notice that is REALLY odd, is when my wife and I went to Califonia, I noticed that the performance did increase ALOT , but what is odd is nothing changed except maybe altitude, (we where in Long beach) and it was about 10 degrees cooler. Got my ram in April and it hasnt seen less than 75 degrees yet. I just wonder if this truck loves the cool and hates the heat. When I came back to Vegas I noticed the truck ran crappy again . Felt very Torquisg in Cali. Like I thought it should. I did point this out to the service guy, but he said there is nothing he can do. Never owned a vehicle that is SOO sensitive to the weather outside.Not sure really what do do as it was 110 degrees yesterday :0

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Vegas-viper-ram said:
One thing I did notice that is REALLY odd, is when my wife and I went to Califonia, I noticed that the performance did increase ALOT , but what is odd is nothing changed except maybe altitude, (we where in Long beach) and it was about 10 degrees cooler. Got my ram in April and it hasnt seen less than 75 degrees yet. I just wonder if this truck loves the cool and hates the heat. When I came back to Vegas I noticed the truck ran crappy again . Felt very Torquisg in Cali. Like I thought it should. I did point this out to the service guy, but he said there is nothing he can do. Never owned a vehicle that is SOO sensitive to the weather outside.Not sure really what do do as it was 110 degrees yesterday :0
Very odd. It was 100 here yesterday. I don't get up until noon, I'll try running it in the morning when it is 65ish and see if it is stronger. Seems to me the A/F ratio could be changed to compensate for the temperature if that is the case.

Craig

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Vegas-viper-ram said:
youll be sorry. Bought a 2000 L brand new. Racked up 84000 miles before I traded it for a silver SRT-10 ram. I now have almost 9,000 miles on my ram. I noticed almost right away how sluggish the ram is. I JUST had my recall finished today, and didnt do a thing for the trucks performance. I did mention to the service guy my feelings about the weak performance, and of course I knew what the answer was going to be " truck drives fine". I keep waiting for the engine to come alive. I am in it 50K deep so I have to live with this. If I knew what I know now, there is NO WAY I would have traded my L. Im gonna make a few payments, and then trade is back for an L, and they can keep this hunk of ****. I know you guys will flame me for saying this crap, but what is true is true. I dont make too many BAD choices, but this was one of them. Happy with appearace, interior, comfort, stereo, very dependable, will get me from A-B, performance, and gas milage is HORRIBLE! , and that is compared to my L. BTW my L was bone stock with 360hp :(
Dude,

I don't know what to tell you. I also had a '99 Lightning which I purchased new and put 36K on. I had a pulley, air filter, and a set of Magnaflow's on an otherwise stock truck. It went from 13.70's at 99 stock, to 13.20's at 103 with those couple mods, which ain't bad IMO.

My Ram now has 1,600 miles on it, and while I haven't run it at the strip yet, SOTP tells me it is faster than my L ever was. Obviously launching and shifting will make a big difference in ET, but I think the MPH will be more than 103 for sure! Right now though our weather positively SUCKS - humid as hell every day, so I won't be going to the track until Fall most likely. I will say that I *think* the truck is running even stronger now than it was 500 miles ago. Breaking in maybe?? Maybe I'm just dreaming?? I don't know.

Gas mileage certainly isn't great, but IF I can control myself, :rolleyes: , I can get over 13 on my route back and forth to work. I could only ever manage 14.5 or so with my L on the same route, so I really can't complain. To be honest, I'm pretty damn happy that I'm doing so much better than the 9mpg that was on the window sticker!

I would suggest taking it to a dyno and see what kind of power it is really making compared to other trucks? Can't hurt.

IF it really is down on power like you say, I guess I can't blame you for being pissed off after dropping 50K for the truck. Maybe just sit back and wait for the Gen3 Lightning? Not sure if I'll be getting one as it depends how this truck treats me, but I will be looking at them. :cool:

Hope things work out for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lucifer said:
You do realize the amount of work this is going to take right? The removal of the entire clutch system, installing and mating the auto to the Viper engine, overcoming torque management, etc. You're going to need a complete stand alone PCM to do this. The outcome is not going to be worth the money you invest in it. End of story. If you think an auto is going to be that much faster in the 1/4, it must be from a lack of shifting skill.

All the supercars are not going to paddle shifting either. Porsche Carrera GT, Koenigsegg CCR, Pagani Zonda S, and the rest are still using a stick.

Have you ever driven an automatic Ram? Any idea how slow their trannys are? Ever driven one with way too much power going to it? I've driven Terry Delong's turbo/intercooled Lil' Red Hemi Express from last year's SEMA show. That engine puts out 600rwhp and the tranny destorys the otherwise perfect truck. He ran out of time before the show, there was going to be a 5 speed in it. Even my own Hemi Feature Vehicle from '03 SEMA puts out more power than the tranny can take, it's just too slow at shifting.

Has anyone checked the weight on the SRT's rims? Their forged Aluminum, can't be that much. Rotaional mass would not effect the handling at all. The custom one-off forged Aluminum 22x9" rims from Colorado Customs on my SEMA Ram weighed in just over 25lbs each.
I hate to be this way, but Pesto360 asked IF the swap could be done. He did not ask for you guys' approval on putting an auto in.

Saying that rotating mass does not affect handling is just plain incorrect. Pound for pound, rotating weight affects handling (not to mention acceleration) way more than either sprung or unsprung weight.

Oh yeah, and while I'm on my 'high horse', SRT10x3, saying you wouldn't have an L because of your experience with an E-250 makes about as much sense as me saying I wouldn't have an SRT-10 because my dad's Lebaron was a piece of crap. I don't mean to be rude, it's just the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
ITHAULS said:
I hate to be this way, but Pesto360 asked IF the swap could be done. He did not ask for you guys' approval on putting an auto in.
"Who cares what you think?"

That's what you're telling these other guys. Why is your opinion more important?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.