SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100553

A friend showed me this article in the August 16th issue. The editor kept comparing it to the Viper saying it's "still a truck" and basically only good for straight line driving. The highlight for me was finding a quote from me (and other owners) at the bottom of the article. It wasn't exactly word for word what I said, they changed some of the wording but I was pleased to see it in there.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Sounds like the author just doesnt like trucks! If I wanted a viper, I would have just bought a viper!!! I love my truck and I think its well worth the $ I paid. I get the stares and complements most everyday that I drive it.

patrick

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
in an earlier issue of autoweek, on their carboard section they drove an SRT-10 and talked about its power, but didn't like the way it drove. I think the one writer with the negative comments was a sissy, that just doesn't like trucks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
It just goes to show how single minded people can be!!

I bought a truck because I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs, plus I have the back from hell!!
I couldn't imagine crawling in and out of a Viper, Vette, Porsche or any other performance car. Maybe a Caddillac STS now!! I would love to have one of those along with my truck!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I am with you Marc. I am 6.2 210 lbs. and I hate getting into small cars....dont like the feel of em at all. The zo6 is a very cool car...but it aint no srt 10. Where the heck am I gonna put my surfboard in a vette? I am surfing with the truck!!! I may not haul loads of drywall in my truck but I can load some bulky items that would never work in a sports car.

patrick

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Well I'm 6'4"/250, and I like having a full-size truck to haul sh!t if the need arises. I suppose I could've kept the Lightning, and swapped my R for a 2000ish Viper. In fact, I had a sweet Black GTS all picked out. About 5K more than the Ram stickered, but it only had 2,700 miles on it.

Then I thought about it. If I picked up the Viper, it'd get parked in the garage where my R sits now, and I'd hardly ever drive it (My 1995 Cobra R has ALMOST 1,000 miles on it now! :rolleyes: ). So I figured screw that - I'm not gonna live forever, and decided to trade the Lightning on the Ram. Now I enjoy the 500hp Viper Power every day! Sure, it gets dirty when it rains and all, but WTF, it cleans up! I'll get something for the Winter as I don't want salt all over these wheels, but otherwise this is a driver! :cool:

I'd still like a Viper though. Anybody wanna buy 1 of 250 1995 Mustang Cobra R's? Like Brand New! ;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hamrhead said:
I'd still like a Viper though. Anybody wanna buy 1 of 250 1995 Mustang Cobra R's? Like Brand New! ;)
How much do you want for it? Can you send me some pics?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
HDVIPER said:
How much do you want for it? Can you send me some pics?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm looking for about 25K for it. I've seen them sell for around this price lately, and most have more miles.

If you're serious about it, I can get you pics once the weather clears up - We've been dealing with the remains of hurricane Frances for the past 2 days and got a good soaking.

I only have a few pics now and they're not very good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those idiots are comparing its handling and performance to that of cars! Apples to oranges! Instead of judging it for what it is..AN IMPRESSIVE TRUCK!!! But since they are comparing it to other vehicles in different classes...I have driven/rode in just about every car out there, and I think its handling is very good. My friend just bought a GTO, and he and I both agree that the handling of the SRT feels better! ITS A TRUCK!!!!!! It handles better than any truck or SUV I have ever been in.

·
Registered
356 Posts
But I have to agree.. the steering is "darty"

·
Registered
144 Posts
My top speed on my '04 SRT-10 is 134mph and steering was fine. Just have to remember we're talking about a high center of gravity vehicle. My 2001 Z06 has "Magna-steer" which tightens up noticeably when exceeding 100 mph...ofcourse this is a low-profile rocket on rails!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
71demon said:
But I have to agree.. the steering is "darty"

I think that comes from the Pirellis and the crappy roads in NJ

These tires are very sensitive to road imperfections.

I was on a portion of the parkway today and was going 85 or so and the handling was excellent lane to lane and very precise. A couple of miles down the parkway, the road was crappier and I was being pulled by the ruts int he road and when I changed a lane, the road imperfections caused me to dart over.

Site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts