SRT10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Personnally I think you would be better off with the VEC2. Just in case you had some warranty issues and had to take the truck in. With the VEC2 you could at least remove it. With the flash,your stuck until it's reflashed, I think?? I could be wrong!! Usually am!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Is this like a superchips/hypertech programer deal? It would be cool if he could just sell it like one of those and we just plug it into our diognostics port and flash away?

Jamie, please let us know how it goes....

patrick

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
DirewolfUSMC said:
I see what you are saying. But you gotta remember; mine's an automatic. I lose a lot more hp and tq than you guys do with the standard. And the torque management might have some play involved in it as well, but I'm no mechanic and couldn't tell you for sure. I have to admit, I haven't seen any other dyno runs to compare to each other and get an average, but either way I will be happy if the damn thing gets rid of the richness on the low end and livens it up from 0 - 2,500 rpms. Should end up quicker overall with the shift points increased from 5,300 to 5,800 rpms too.
I believe that you may want to keep your shift points at 5300 RPM. I have read where alot of Viper owners shift at this range because of the HP drop at higher RPM's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Marc T said:
I believe that you may want to keep your shift points at 5300 RPM. I have read where alot of Viper owners shift at this range because of the HP drop at higher RPM's.
I've had 13 dyno runs on the truck Craig now has, and I can confirm that the HP drops off at 5300. My 1/4 mile times improved substantially short shifting instead of shifting at redline. I'm personally going to stick w/ my vec2, but the idea of turning the fan on at a lower temp to aid the lower temp t-stat definately gets my attention. These trucks have a hydraulic fan setup that runs off the power steering, so I'm curious how they can do this.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
quoteszone said:
I've had 13 dyno runs on the truck Craig now has, and I can confirm that the HP drops off at 5300. My 1/4 mile times improved substantially short shifting instead of shifting at redline. I'm personally going to stick w/ my vec2, but the idea of turning the fan on at a lower temp to aid the lower temp t-stat definately gets my attention. These trucks have a hydraulic fan setup that runs off the power steering, so I'm curious how they can do this.
Quote, do you have a Lower temp thermo??

If so, does she run noticeably cooler?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Marc T said:
Quote, do you have a Lower temp thermo??

If so, does she run noticeably cooler?
Not in my current trucks (yet). But the one I just sold runs noticebly cooler. Picked up the thermostat from Roe racing. Seemed to run around 185 for oil and water regardless of outside temps. Better for consistency at the drag strip for sure.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
quoteszone said:
Quoteszone old truck, my newest and only used truck it definately my favorite, the cooler temp thing is noticable. I raced the truck against my FY SC edition, and it spanked it's ass.. F' the super chargers for our trucks. Grab a VEC-II, Headers, and all of Quoteszones other mods.

Craig

·
Registered
254 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
Quoteszone old truck, my newest and only used truck it definately my favorite, the cooler temp thing is noticable. I raced the truck against my FY SC edition, and it spanked it's ass.. F' the super chargers for our trucks. Grab a VEC-II, Headers, and all of Quoteszones other mods.

Craig
That certainly makes me happy. I'd like to put my quad cab up against your SC YF. Haven't run it at the strip yet, but I think it's on par with my old black one. When I get back from San Francisco at the end of the month, my silver one should be back on par with the black one. Duplicating the same exact mods, except trying out Roe Racing's new mufflers instead of those Borla XR-1's. Still waiting for their superchargers though. Can't wait to put it in the quad cab with that auto. Let me know when you want to get together to do a few runs. Hell, I'll even bring the wife's Crossfire SRT-6. Could be fun.

·
Registered
732 Posts
spoke to B and G

Spoke to the guy at B&G

nice guys

basically tole me same thing as stated before

i asked about warranty he said its not detectable (but not to have dealer reflash the PCM or it loses what they put in)

he said basically it was like the mopar performance PCMs (had one on my Dak R/T) improves timing, and such

basically DCX de tunes these trucks and they loses them up a bit
they have done a few and like the results

its $400 and takes overnite to do (if i drop off monday i pick up tues) i asked do they want the truck he said no just the PCM

seems like it should work plus it guaranteed or the re flash free all you out is shipping to them (or me driving to them)

he said before you send write the milage and vin down so they can re program it in

I think im gonna do the 04 1st since its got 5000 miles on it and see how i like it but im gonna wait till i put the maganflow on and the K and N kits this weekend maybe take the pcm in monday

the yellow one just turned 100 tonite wahoooooo

JAmie

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
quoteszone said:
Not in my current trucks (yet). But the one I just sold runs noticebly cooler. Picked up the thermostat from Roe racing. Seemed to run around 185 for oil and water regardless of outside temps. Better for consistency at the drag strip for sure.
Was it 160 or 185 Degree t-stat?? My truck has the same mods as the one Craig bought minus the thermostat, I guess this is my next ad-on!!

My truck seems to run right around 200 degrees , a little cooler when cruining at highway speeds, Oil Temp usually around 195.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Marc T said:
Was it 160 or 185 Degree t-stat?? My truck has the same mods as the one Craig bought minus the thermostat, I guess this is my next ad-on!!

My truck seems to run right around 200 degrees , a little cooler when cruining at highway speeds, Oil Temp usually around 195.
Actually I think it may have been a 172 degree. I'll find out for sure though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update on the flash

Got my PCM back today, put it back in, and took the truck out for a drive. I was suprised and disappointed that nothing seemed to be changed. The truck still shifted normal (at 5,300 rpms or so), the rev limiter was not changed, The torque management was strong as ever...nothing different.

I called Dave at B&G and told him that everything was the same, what gives? He said to give him my number and he would call me back. About 20 minutes later he calls and says he made a mistake and apologized; he had several PCM's that he was doing yesterday and was trying to get them all done so they could ship out that night and he had inadvertently loaded the stock program back into my PCM and sent it back to me. So, I am overnighting it back to him tonight in the hopes that he will get it Friday, flash it, and send it back to me overnight so I can get it back Saturday.

I was actually a bit relieved that he had messed up considering the alternative that the flash was ineffective across the board. I will post again once I get it back.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well that suxs! At least he was honest. I'm looking forward to your feedback :)

DirewolfUSMC said:
Got my PCM back today, put it back in, and took the truck out for a drive. I was suprised and disappointed that nothing seemed to be changed. The truck still shifted normal (at 5,300 rpms or so), the rev limiter was not changed, The torque management was strong as ever...nothing different.

I called Dave at B&G and told him that everything was the same, what gives? He said to give him my number and he would call me back. About 20 minutes later he calls and says he made a mistake and apologized; he had several PCM's that he was doing yesterday and was trying to get them all done so they could ship out that night and he had inadvertently loaded the stock program back into my PCM and sent it back to me. So, I am overnighting it back to him tonight in the hopes that he will get it Friday, flash it, and send it back to me overnight so I can get it back Saturday.

I was actually a bit relieved that he had messed up considering the alternative that the flash was ineffective across the board. I will post again once I get it back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And the final results...

Got it back again today; NOT the same results as last time though... :D

Took it out like I did last time and did random driving like last time. First thing I noticed was it had a little more pep in normal acceleration; by normal I mean about 1/4 pedal - not leadfoot, not grampa-style. It shifted a little higher up in the rpm band than what it did before, although the shifts weren't any crisper or harder (which was fine - it shifted pretty solid from the factory and wasn't slushy then). Like I said, the main thing I noticed was it had more giddy-up in the normal acceleration.

Next, I was doing 55 mph and had no traffic in front of me and no cops around, so I punched it. It dropped down from 4th to 2nd and it held there until it reached about 5,600 rpms and then went to 3rd. I looked at the speedo and was doing 85 mph and let off. The really noticeable thing in this test was that, when it was stock I would hammer it at 55 and it would drop to 2nd just like it did this time, only it would almost instantly shift to 3rd and gave it that dogged-out feel. With it holding 2nd gear for a few seconds longer it felt like a more positive shift to 3rd and the overall performance felt more like I was accustomed to feeling in that situation.

Next thing I did was the dead-stop acceleration test. There is a rather large industrial park not far from where I live that is all mid-rise commercial buildings; some of them with very large, wide open parking lots. It is a good place for this test since no one works back there during the weekends and there is very little normal traffic at all through there. The cops rarely come down in there because it is dead on the weekends back there so I knew I was safe. Anyways, I pull into one of the building's parking lots that is very wide and very long and not a single car parked there. I turn around at one end, line up for a straight shot, and hammer it. Previous attempts at this yielded only 15 foot posi marks at best before the torque management jumped in and ruined the fun. Not this time. I roasted all the way through first, it shifted to 2nd and kept on roasting until I had to let off because I was coming up to the divider that runs down the length of the lot. I turned around and went back to the starting line and I would say I had left a good 75 foot patch of black. :eek: I was pretty shocked; so shocked I had to try again! :D Same test, same results. I was all grins, let me tell you!

Last thing I tried to do was get out on the expressway and see what a full acceleration from the on-ramp on up to maybe 90 or 100 was going to feel like, but traffic sucked ass and I was forced to drive like all the other Joes out today so I have nothing to report back on that yet. Soon though.

Overall, I say this flash is a damn good mod and the price was great. I can honestly say that the $400 bucks was well-spent. I am really anxious for someone with the manual trans to get this done now and see what kind of changes happen there.

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
WOW thats awesome for the QC

Im installing the maganflos this weekend on the 2 srts and early next week the 04 PCM is going in fof the flash

will keep you posted

JD

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for the write up ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Awesome, that's what I want... to be able to light them up from a stop. That sounds more like what I'd expect from this motor. Added to my must buy list.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't this the same results you would get for the VEC 2 programer?

Ed........movinon

21 - 40 of 159 Posts