SRT10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
movinon said:
Isn't this the same results you would get for the VEC 2 programer?

Ed........movinon
I don't think you can program individual fuel jet like you can with the VEC2. I may be wrong? However it sounds like it does increase perfomance and supply firmer shifts.

The thing I like about the Vec2 is if you gotta take it in to the dealership you can just unplug it and no-one will ever know it was there!!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Marc T said:
The thing I like about the Vec2 is if you gotta take it in to the dealership you can just unplug it and no-one will ever know it was there!!

I thought it was hard wired in, so just unplugging isnt possible.......am I correct or can you just unplug and walla its gone?

patrick

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
You may unplug and have no more..... Sean gives you factory looking connectors to install vecII so when you remove it you just plug them back together.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok two questions...1) how much would it be? 2) what kind of results could be expected for an automatic tranny?
thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can the VEC 2 re-program the torque management ???
Can it rework the shift point on the Automatic ??
I was going for the VEC 2 put I think I would like to modify the above items.
Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
GEARBOX said:
Can the VEC 2 re-program the torque management ???
Can it rework the shift point on the Automatic ??
I was going for the VEC 2 put I think I would like to modify the above items.
Thanks
No, it just lets you adjust the fuel and timing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
could this be done as the first mod and do you need the 170degree thermo?
and how does the tq manage ment system work?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
MAP3218.3 said:
could this be done as the first mod and do you need the 170degree thermo?
and how does the tq manage ment system work?
I did mine as the first mod. The program (flash) will adapt to your bolt-on mods like headers, high flow cats, exhaust, CAI's, and stuff. It's no different in that regard to the stock PCM. I could have added all of those things without flashing or messing with the PCM to begin with. The bolt-ons like I mentioned actually go better with this flash than they would with the stock PCM; it is more or less designed to integrate and welcome those bolt-ons. If you are planning on turbos or a supercharger, it will need re-flashed to accomodate those, also if you plan on doing any internals like cam and headwork you will need a re-flash. But Dave seemed to be a pretty easy-going and good guy so he might not even charge too much for the re-flash if that would be the case. It's probably best that you contact him as I don't want to speak for him when it comes to that stuff.

You don't need a 170 degree thermostat. It isn't that drastic of a mod.

The torque management on the automatics is a little hard for me to explain since I don't know the entire correct process, but I will try to explain it as best I can. When the wheels start to break loose and spin, the computer can sense this and begins to decrease the torque/power being put down to the ground. It gives you that feeling of the engine bogging out and losing power. Once the tires stop spinning and positive traction is sensed, the torque management quits and you get all of the power back - problem is you look and feel like a retard because you did this nice hard launch or you turned the corner and punched it to spin the tires, they start to spin and the engine climbs in rpms for a second, then it bogs down and stops spinning, only to give you everything back all at once and the truck suddenly launches again without spin. That's the best way I can describe how it feels and to sum it up in one word, torque management = gay.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Pic of the burnout

I went out to get coffee this morning and at the last minute got the idea to just take a picture of the two burnouts I did yesterday. The guys with RC's are gonna look at this and say, "Yeah, so? I can do that." but the guys like me with the QC's can attest to the fact that this was virtually impossible to do on dry pavement without starting off with your foot on the brake - and even then you wouldn't get a patch as long as this. Torque management is no longer a torque Nazi with this flash; it's more like a laid-back, stoned surfer now. The burnout on the left was the first one and the one to the right was the second one. For reference, there's about 10 feet in each parking space so the entire parking spots (for 2 cars) are about 20 feet total. I did not use the brakes to start either of these burnouts; dead stop to throttle is all I did. Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
DirewolfUSMC said:
The torque management on the automatics is a little hard for me to explain since I don't know the entire correct process, but I will try to explain it as best I can. When the wheels start to break loose and spin, the computer can sense this and begins to decrease the torque/power being put down to the ground. It gives you that feeling of the engine bogging out and losing power. Once the tires stop spinning and positive traction is sensed, the torque management quits and you get all of the power back - problem is you look and feel like a retard because you did this nice hard launch or you turned the corner and punched it to spin the tires, they start to spin and the engine climbs in rpms for a second, then it bogs down and stops spinning, only to give you everything back all at once and the truck suddenly launches again without spin. That's the best way I can describe how it feels and to sum it up in one word, torque management = gay.

Who gave you that information? The real information on torque management was posted a while back by someone in the know. I've reposted it below.

About the torque management on the SRT10's:

The 48RE used in the QC vehicles has several beefed up componenets for improved durability over the base 48RE, mostly due to the higher speeds & engine RPMs that it sees in this application. There is torque management but only while the shift is occuring. As soon as the ECU senses a shift is occuring, there is a momentary cut in spark (very short, a few tenths of a second) and does not affect the performance numbers on the vehicle... trust me ;) So, any lag in the low end on the quad cab is a function of increased mass of the vehicle and the fact that there is a torque converter in the system that reduces its efficiency - not of any other type of torque management going on.

Any 'harsh' shifting on the part throttle shifts is a direct result of making the WOT shifts firm and crisp for good performance and transmission durability... as you guys could imagine, having 500HP and 525ft-lb can wreak havoc on band life if shifts are not made promptly. Unfortunately, the 48RE is a rather old trans and is not easily tunable for different part throttle and WOT shift curves... but it's the only one in the DCX aresenal that could handle the power output of your engine.

The WOT shift speed on the SRT10 48RE is somewhere between 5400 - 5500 RPM depending on conditions at the time... you'll also find that the ultimate engine redline on the QC application has been set at 5500 RPM due to the transmission's rotational limitations. All the prior uses of the 48RE have been at lower speeds (i.e. diesel applications) or applications where there have been lower ultimate power and torque levels.

Although it could wreak havoc with ultimate transmission durability, theoretically you can play with your kickdown cable adjustment at the throttle cable bracket on top of the engine to change the feel of the transmission... put more pre-tension on the cable and it will shift later in the RPM band, put more slack in the cable and it will shift earlier.

·
Registered
974 Posts
DirewolfUSMC said:
I went out to get coffee this morning and at the last minute got the idea to just take a picture of the two burnouts I did yesterday. The guys with RC's are gonna look at this and say, "Yeah, so? I can do that." but the guys like me with the QC's can attest to the fact that this was virtually impossible to do on dry pavement without starting off with your foot on the brake - and even then you wouldn't get a patch as long as this. Torque management is no longer a torque Nazi with this flash; it's more like a laid-back, stoned surfer now. The burnout on the left was the first one and the one to the right was the second one. For reference, there's about 10 feet in each parking space so the entire parking spots (for 2 cars) are about 20 feet total. I did not use the brakes to start either of these burnouts; dead stop to throttle is all I did. Enjoy.

Awsome man... I believe I'll give the flash a try on my RC..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Flash-for RC

Waiting to here to here results on RC,seems like the QC people our happy with the improvments,my feelings if you go SC or Turbo you end up with the Vec2 anyways,but if you don't want to go that far the flash might be the way to go,matter of dollars and cents, you just might not need the Vec2 .

·
Registered
732 Posts
the red 04 is out of storage this week, the magnaflo goes on this weekend

gonna drive and maybe mon/tues take the pcm to them for the flash

JD

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
9 seconds said:
Who gave you that information? The real information on torque management was posted a while back by someone in the know. I've reposted it below.

About the torque management on the SRT10's:

The 48RE used in the QC vehicles has several beefed up componenets for improved durability over the base 48RE, mostly due to the higher speeds & engine RPMs that it sees in this application. There is torque management but only while the shift is occuring. As soon as the ECU senses a shift is occuring, there is a momentary cut in spark (very short, a few tenths of a second) and does not affect the performance numbers on the vehicle... trust me ;) So, any lag in the low end on the quad cab is a function of increased mass of the vehicle and the fact that there is a torque converter in the system that reduces its efficiency - not of any other type of torque management going on.

Any 'harsh' shifting on the part throttle shifts is a direct result of making the WOT shifts firm and crisp for good performance and transmission durability... as you guys could imagine, having 500HP and 525ft-lb can wreak havoc on band life if shifts are not made promptly. Unfortunately, the 48RE is a rather old trans and is not easily tunable for different part throttle and WOT shift curves... but it's the only one in the DCX aresenal that could handle the power output of your engine.

The WOT shift speed on the SRT10 48RE is somewhere between 5400 - 5500 RPM depending on conditions at the time... you'll also find that the ultimate engine redline on the QC application has been set at 5500 RPM due to the transmission's rotational limitations. All the prior uses of the 48RE have been at lower speeds (i.e. diesel applications) or applications where there have been lower ultimate power and torque levels.

Although it could wreak havoc with ultimate transmission durability, theoretically you can play with your kickdown cable adjustment at the throttle cable bracket on top of the engine to change the feel of the transmission... put more pre-tension on the cable and it will shift later in the RPM band, put more slack in the cable and it will shift earlier.
I never said I got any "information" from anyone. If you go back and re-read what I posted, I said I didn't know how it worked, so I just tried to explain how it "feels" when it kicks in. Guess I won't try to do that again...at least not without a bright neon disclaimer. :rolleyes:

BTW, good information in your post. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is some difference in the QC results...If what 9 seconds said is accurate then what does the flash really do then??? You just can't dismiss those burnouts... Was set on the VEC but liking those patches! Anyone have a QC with the VEC? Similar results???

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey same question here , i would like to know if the VEC would give yhe same kind of result as the flash .Red 05 QC.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Do both. reflash for the quad cab stuff and vec for the engine management. Think I'm just going to flash though. Prob pull mine this weekend or next week and send it off.

41 - 60 of 159 Posts