SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the truck baseline tested on a Mustang Dyno today.

Ok, before anyone calls me a “Bold Face Liar”, I wan to say that this is the God’s Honest Truth and that I am confused and excited at the same time. I would appreciate any help or suggestions on how I got these numbers on a “Pure Stock” truck.

I was expecting numbers somewhere in the high 390s to the low 410s. I don’t understand how this happened. Yes I have pictures and printouts to prove what I am saying. I also told the shop that I would use their name so if you wish you can call them yourself and verify what I am saying.

3 pulls, they screwed up the first printout so I only have the last two printout sheets. I did get a photo of the first screen to validate the numbers though.

Chesapeake, VA

1st pull
Max Power 436.6 HP 110 MPH
Max Torque 760.9 @ 31 MPH

2nd pull
Max Power 446.7 HP @ 110 MPH
Max Torque 850.8 @ 47.0 MPH

3rd pull
Max Power 460.9 HP @ 110 MPH
Max Torque 851.3 @ 47.0 MPH

I have always thought and believed that this is a totally “Stock” truck. Nothing has been added that I can find. It is also my understanding that a “Tune” program would not add these kind of numbers. I am at a loss to explain it other than I just happen to win the lottery on a perfect match of motor and transmission, Weather, etc... Is this possible?

Weather today was / is below:

Before Dyno Test
Date = 16 Feb 2009
Partly Cloudy
Temp = 40 Degrees
Humidity = 46%
Barometric Pressure = 30.17 in and Climbing
Altitude = 12 Ft above Sea Level
Weather Updated at = 10:25 am EST
Zip Code = 23321

After Dyno Test

Date = 16 Feb 2009
Mostly Cloudy
Temp = 41 Degrees
Humidity = 47%
Barometric Pressure = 30.17 in and Climbing
Altitude = 12 Ft above Sea Level
Weather Updated at = 12:45 pm EST
Zip Code = 23321

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Had the truck baseline tested on a Mustang Dyno today.
Sandy- Those are some really stout horsepower numbers for a stock truck; but not impossible.
The torque numbers however are way out of whack. They are typically in the 475 range, stock, with an auto transmission and that may even be a bit on the high side. They CAN'T BE lbs./ft. numbers...

Also, the dyno numbers are usually "corrected" which is to say they will approximate numbers at sea-level. It should indicate that somewhere on your dyno sheet. The dyno was already at sea-level so it is almost a wash anyway.

Mustang dynos typically deliver lower power numbers than a Dynojet.

It would be great if these engines delivered that kind of torque (stock) and the engines can but not without a serious turbo/sc build, a huge hit of nitrous or both.

The dyno operator needs to recalibrate the unit or dive into the software and find out what he did wrong to spit out those kind of torque numbers...

Horsepower is just torque measured over time so something is weird...

Ronnie

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ronnie, There is a second set of numbers below the Max Torque number.

It reads:

446.9 @ 1750.0 Numbers come from Pic of the computer screen immediately after pull #1

497.1 @ 2500.0 Numbers come from Pic of the computer screen immediately after Pull # 3

Sorry no pic of computer screen after pull # 2

Does this mean anything. I have no idea of what I am actually looking at with it comes to reading these numbers. All I know is what the sheets had printed on them.

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts
This is just a question....

one of the things Big Asp (Phil) had to do when he dyno'd mine was to deal with the tow/haul button and prevent the transmission from shifting into overdrive during the pull because it skews the numbers real bad (this was two years ago so I wish I remebered it better)

Did you guy do this or did he just do the pulls reguardless of what gear the transmission went into?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Sandy, for reference:

My BEST dyno pull in stock trim: 387 horsepower @ 5250 r.p.m. and 447 torque @ 4200 r.p.m. (and that was on a Dynojet).

Your reference "1750" or "2500" might be r.p.m., but those kind of numbers at that low an r.p.m. would be more fitting to a diesel of some kind, or a huge gasoline engine.

Give them a call and see what they have to say...???...

I'm certainly NOT trying to burst your bubble here, but something is definitely off with those torque numbers especially... :)

Ronnie

·
Site SUPER Moderator
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was just a straight pull. Quite frankly (sounding stupid again) I didn't know the automatic had a button to switch into towing / hauling mode. If it does, I haven't found it.

First time I ever heard of THAT button / switch.

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts
The tow/haul button is on the end of the shifter

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts
I'm also not trying to burst your bubble, I was just concentrating on your question, not questioning the numbers

My best pull if I remember right was 401 RWHP and 431 RWT, all the other details ......I have no idea. It was done on a dynopack on a hot summer day, cloudy and at approx 4600ft

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
This is just a question....

one of the things Big Asp (Phil) had to do when he dyno'd mine was to deal with the tow/haul button and prevent the transmission from shifting into overdrive during the pull because it skews the numbers real bad (this was two years ago so I wish I remebered it better)

Did you guy do this or did he just do the pulls regardless of what gear the transmission went into?
Jeff- I hear this from time and have been to more than a few dyno pulls with my own truck. And.....the tow/haul button made ZERO difference to my final numbers!!! I have seen this on the other Forums as well...hmmm...Don't race in T.H., dyno with it off, etc.

If anything, under the grunt of overdrive, there would be less torque delivered to the rollers through the rear wheels....

And, the Tow/Haul made ZERO difference at the track, but it doesn't get to a high enough speed at the track to go into O/D anyway.... So, again, I dunno....

Ronnie

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts
That's why it was just a question, I just don't know.

Phil operates a dyno and I don't. I'll send Phil the question and see if he can help me remember.

Hopefully I didn't step in any fecal matter before I put my foot in my mouth

Yikes!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
That's why it was just a question, I just don't know.

Phil operates a dyno and I don't. I'll send Phil the question and see if he can help me remember.

Hopefully I didn't step in any fecal matter before I put my foot in my mouth

Yikes!!!!
Jeff-

Your dyno numbers seem quite reasonable.

I really don't know why some people see a difference with the T.H. mode during the pulls, and some don't. Things that make you go- Hmmmmmmmm???

An unanswered curiosity.....

But, back on track- Sandy's numbers are peculiar....the dyno operator needs to go inside the program...

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
i don't feel bad saying...

there's no effin way those numbers are right...hp...maybe...but torque...no way...

that's a lot of twist...

i've driven diesels with 600hp and 1100ft.lbs.... the last one a good friend of mine owns, and we raced...from a stop...then a roll...and i beat him BOTH time...with my useless KN, and the magnaflows...

the dyno isn't calibrated...it can't be...right?????
(this would be a better conversation over beers, so we could hear the tones in our voices, and see the mystified looks...)

i took mine to two different shops about 2 weeks apart...and they were within 10 of each other...

my best run...

7:51 PM, 89.08 degrees F, 28.96in-Hg, Humidity:15%, SAE 1.03, MAX HP:434.93, MAX TQ 458.92 at approx. 2500ft.

there was a stout tq spike at 2500rpm sitting dead on 400 ft. lbs. but at 2750, it dropped to 355ish, then climbed to the 460 at 4200rpms, until dropping off at around 5000rpms....max hp achieved around 5200, and stayed relatively flat until about 59-6000 when the rev limiter kicked in...

i would talk to him first, then schedule another appointment, if for no other reason, then to check for consistencies...and i know that all dynos will be different, but within reason, it should be close...

and do keep us posted, eh?

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
i don't feel bad saying...

there's no effin way those numbers are right...hp...maybe...but torque...no way...

that's a lot of twist...

i've driven diesels with 600hp and 1100ft.lbs.... the last one a good friend of mine owns, and we raced...from a stop...then a roll...and i beat him BOTH time...with my useless KN, and the magnaflows...

the dyno isn't calibrated...it can't be...right?????
(this would be a better conversation over beers, so we could hear the tones in our voices, and see the mystified looks...)

i took mine to two different shops about 2 weeks apart...and they were within 10 of each other...

my best run...

7:51 PM, 89.08 degrees F, 28.96in-Hg, Humidity:15%, SAE 1.03, MAX HP:434.93, MAX TQ 458.92 at approx. 2500ft.

there was a stout tq spike at 2500rpm sitting dead on 400 ft. lbs. but at 2750, it dropped to 355ish, then climbed to the 460 at 4200rpms, until dropping off at around 5000rpms....max hp achieved around 5200, and stayed relatively flat until about 59-6000 when the rev limiter kicked in...

i would talk to him first, then schedule another appointment, if for no other reason, then to check for consistencies...and i know that all dynos will be different, but within reason, it should be close...

and do keep us posted, eh?
Dan-

Sandy won't answer. I think he hates us now.... :D

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Dan-

Sandy won't answer. I think he hates us now.... :D
keep the smilies up, so at least he knows....:fing02::wavey::lew::heart::blah::no::party::wave::bdaysmile:laugh2::tongue2::grinbigin:head::bigthumb::love::wink1::bigok::veryhappy::wiggle::slaphappy:biglaugh::nana::biggthump:kiss::bouncy::439:
those are from the left side...

but i can see him now...

:drillserg::spank:
:thefinger:

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
keep the smilies up, so at least he knows....:fing02::wavey::lew::heart::blah::no::party::wave::bdaysmile:laugh2::tongue2::grinbigin:head::bigthumb::love::wink1::bigok::veryhappy::wiggle::slaphappy:biglaugh::nana::biggthump:kiss::bouncy::439:
those are from the left side...

but i can see him now...

:drillserg::spank:
:thefinger:
Winter won't quit in this part of the country. We had a bit of a weather break so I took it out of the garage for a spin and driving the truck always seems to put a smile on my face. They are a lot of fun!!!

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Yeah Chief...they Are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts

·
VIPEROLIGIST
13,629 Posts
Com'on Chief, raise your hand and let us know your OK and that that pretzel just went down the wrong tube

Jeff

1 - 20 of 131 Posts