SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I'm still battling the wierd radio situation.. but now I have a NEW problem. The truck is sucking the battery dry while it sits , I just replaced it with a new one & thought it was all cool. I went to the garage last night & it was completely drained. Could all of this be caused by this radio? I noticed this the other day while I was fooling around... when the light switch was turned to the parking lamps position all the gauges lit ( including the radio ) when I left the switch in that position & turned the key to the ACC position the radio lights would go out within 5 seconds. Somewhere along that circuit that the radio is on is either a short or a bad ground... & so far I have found niether, or the radio is just trash and needs smashed with a sledge..:rawr: ! I have removed / checked / cleaned every ground point I could see under the hood , I also did one under the dash below the steering wheel. This really sucks , I WAS going to take the truck to Summit Racing this weekend for the Mopar show.. looks like I won't be going in the truck. I need to hear from anyone who has had ground problems & where they were so I can track this down!! Thanks guys! :wavey:

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Had a similar issue in one of my work trucks. I was able to measure the current draw on the battery with and without the radio plugged in to identify a bad radio. If you don't have the tools to do this you can unplug the radio for a day and see if the battery drains again.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
yea try what seethrough recommended.....on top of that just make sure none of your lights are staying on.....glovebox light, under hood light..... stuff that you normally can't see

·
Registered
25 Posts
If its an aftermarket radio it was tapped from the wrong place. They mustve used an always "hot" lead. Or as seethrough said unplug it for a day or two and use a volt meter on your battery to check its power level

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the stock RB4 unit with the Nav , I just finished pulling it out again & unhooking everything. We'll see in a few days what happens. I'm pretty certain it's the radio shorting out. Since I'll most likely be getting a new unit... What models are popular that fit & work with all the stock stuff? I'm leaning towards one with a flip up screen.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
Funny thing, at my last car show 3 weeks ago, I had the eyebrow LEDS on the Ram during the show, and she was dead as a doornail by the end of the show, needed to jump her to get home. Had all the doors open, but the dome light was off...

I leave the truck on a trickle charger 24/7 while in the garage. I was thinking maybe this winter I'll buy a FLIR camera and check under the hood and interior on a cold day to see if anything lights up (ie drawing current), but holy cheesecake are they expensive!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=infrared+camera&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1016&bih=563&wrapid=tlif130901364840710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1663956314913824351&sa=X&ei=g_YFTufrBYO2tgfA773lDQ&ved=0CHgQ8wIwBA#

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing, at my last car show 3 weeks ago, I had the eyebrow LEDS on the Ram during the show, and she was dead as a doornail by the end of the show, needed to jump her to get home. Had all the doors open, but the dome light was off...

I leave the truck on a trickle charger 24/7 while in the garage. I was thinking maybe this winter I'll buy a FLIR camera and check under the hood and interior on a cold day to see if anything lights up (ie drawing current), but holy cheesecake are they expensive!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=infrared+camera&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1016&bih=563&wrapid=tlif130901364840710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1663956314913824351&sa=X&ei=g_YFTufrBYO2tgfA773lDQ&ved=0CHgQ8wIwBA#
Well , I have'nt had any trouble since I disconnected the radio , I've checked the battery twice with a multimeter & it remains happy. I did make it to the show yesterday afterall & the truck got tons of compliments & attention from anyone who walked by. Turns out I was the only SRT10 at the show! Along with 1 other 97 Viper , their were so many new Chargers & Challengers that It was pathetic. I think my distraction with answering peoples questions when the judges came around hurt my standing since I did'nt get to talk to them , but I did win a door prize... lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, did you fix this problem? and how?

I have 05 srt10 QC and the battery is dying overnight. i Know its the radio and the wiring but if you've found the fix it would be a huge help.
thanks

Major

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a 1997 F150 that had a similar problem. I could never find the source of the current drain so I just kept it on a trickle charger. Then the original alternator finally failed at 220,000 miles. I replaced that and the drain stopped. Truck can sit for weeks now with no problems. I think a diode in the alternator regulator had failed and was allowing current to go where it shouldn't have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts