SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now on my 5th belt -- anyone else having this problem? The dealer keeps just replacing the belt but there has to be a root cause. The new belt lasts about 2 weeks then starts chattering like hell when the motor is started up cold.

Scot

·
Registered
52 Posts
Belt woes

Have your dealer check the torque / condition of your crank pulley. Make sure the pulley / balancer hasn't spun on the nose of the crank. It definitely sounds like something it is out of alignment. Be sure the dealer uses the 2004 torque spec, not the spec for the older Viper motors. The bolt size is different.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SugarLandExpress said:
I am now on my 5th belt -- anyone else having this problem? The dealer keeps just replacing the belt but there has to be a root cause. The new belt lasts about 2 weeks then starts chattering like hell when the motor is started up cold.

Scot
let the truck sit over night . next morning check the belt tension & alignment. it should be TIGHT. if not you have an idler problem. if is tight, remove it & spin all of the pulleys by hand and check for excessive drag (except crank pulley). something might be in a bind & the belt is being pulled across a pulley. & find a new dealer, by the 2nd belt they should have found the problem.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
toohighpsi said:
Have your dealer check the torque / condition of your crank pulley. Make sure the pulley / balancer hasn't spun on the nose of the crank. It definitely sounds like something it is out of alignment. Be sure the dealer uses the 2004 torque spec, not the spec for the older Viper motors. The bolt size is different.
we posted at the same time! i wasnt trying to repeat what you just said! thanks toohighpsi!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts