SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today... what the hell is the benefit of such a big rim? If any? I know width of tire is benefit... but what else?

·
Registered
599 Posts
1. Ride stiffer
2. feel more of the road
3. Much more rotating mass
4. Bling bling

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Tire makers go cha ching when you need a new set of sneakers. :D

Also, with the gear ratios of this truck and tire width needed, you need a fairly tall tire but yet want a low profile sidewall for handleing purposes. To get that, the 22's come in handy. Our tires are 31.61" tall as compared to

HEMI with 17's = 31.61" (265x70x17)

You can see the tire height is the same but the rim is 5 inches smaller. If the HEMI tires had a very low profile like our tires do, I bet the diameter would go down to about 25.35" Could you imagine

1. What that would look like on the truck ? eesh

2. increase overall gear ratio by lots and maybe make your vehicle undriveable at highway speed.

In contrast, if we had those HEMI 17s on the SRT-10, handleling would be pitiful but our speedos would work just great

I think it is a combination of a performance requirement (HP vs tire width vs gear ratio vs weight of vehicle) and to a point, asthetics that drives what actual rim size is used as I am sure a 20" could have sufficed and most likely would have been better for the 04's with 4.10s.

Site :cool:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The guys above just about covered it. The 22 really fills the wheel wheel up. You will get more stick in the turns generally speaking. As SVT said the big downside is the rotating mass. Its much harder on the brakes - although not a problem with our trucks massive ones. You can feel the grooves on the road with these low profile 22s. My Hemi QC could break the stock 20s but once I put the 22s on I couldn't budge them.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
My vote goes directly for Bling.

IMO, a 20" would've performed just as well, but the 22's fill the wheelwell better and look better as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's a BIG truck with a lot of power, it needs BIG wheels!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts