SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a black SRT with their grill or hood "grill" done in a black chrome? I want to paint those this weekend and the chrome gas cap cover. Eventually will be the rims done too, but that will be when I have a vehicle to cover me in the mean time (anyone want to lend their SRT for a few days? HAHA). Anyways, pictures would be appreciated as well. Thanks guy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Someone painted my stock chrome grill black before I got the truck. The paint chipped off so easily I thought the rain was doing it! Not actually but it did come off With the slightest tap from anything. Got so disgusted with it I swapped it out for a honeycomb style (stock on the cheap truck) the real shocker was the $80 worth of clips it took to replace it. The clips are not reusable and you only can get them from Dodge.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that just really crapped on my plans. I really want them done in the black chrome color. Was it just done incorrectly (not scuffed enough, top coated, etc) or is it really a bad idea? Everyone please feel free to chime in, I don't want to embark upon this this weekend if its just going to be crappy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
image.jpg
Looks like they scuffed it from what I can see. Not sure if it was prepped corectly. Grill was painted when I got the truck. I don't think you have to scuff the chrome before you use paint/spray on black chrome.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
The rattle can black chrome that you can buy at a parts store is sprayed directly over chrome without scuffing it. The paint is basically tinted clear coat so any scratches on the chrome base will show through. I painted a chrome plastic panel that was on the front of my jeep but never really liked it. The tint was not mixed with the clear very well (maybe I just didn't shake it enough) and I got dark splotches everywhere. It wipes off easily with some paint thinner so if you try it and don't like it you can bring it back to stock. If you want it to be durable take it to a body shop and have them mix black with clear and add an adhesion promoter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't trust any body shops around here to do it worth while. I'll try it out this weekend as a rattle can, of which I'll post pictures. The only thing that worries me is that I won't be able to color it in if it gets pitted!! So I'll post it if others are interested.... At least the gas cap cover so that others can see what the black chrome looks like and so that it won't be pitted. Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Shake the paint can for a long time before spraying. The more coats you add the darker the black chrome will look. If you are doing multiple pieces spray them all at the same time so they end up with a consistent tint

·
Registered
314 Posts
Let us know how you make out. My girlfriend colored in some of the chips with a sharpie & said I'll color them in before you take a picture. Told her no I want to show the chips. Did not look to bad from 3'-5' away but don't know how long it will last. Maybe an option for repairing a chip or 2 on your black chrome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts