SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I took in my black srt-10 to my five star dealership for a complimentary detail and wax. I noticed today in extreme sun that there are marks throughout the paint that almost look like scratches given the right angle of light.

What the hell is it? I put on some Zymol cleaner wax in one area and it lightened up the marks. Are these marks from the wax they used? Does anyone else have these, especially after waxing? This is my first black truck, so I am new to this. Please inform me. Monday i would like to be prepared with some knowledge for argument when i give these guys hell. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
974 Posts
hadavi said:
Question: I took in my black srt-10 to my five star dealership for a complimentary detail and wax. I noticed today in extreme sun that there are marks throughout the paint that almost look like scratches given the right angle of light.

What the hell is it? I put on some Zymol cleaner wax in one area and it lightened up the marks. Are these marks from the wax they used? Does anyone else have these, especially after waxing? This is my first black truck, so I am new to this. Please inform me. Monday i would like to be prepared with some knowledge for argument when i give these guys hell. Thanks guys.

Post some pic's kinda hard to say without seeing it.. :cool:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I'm afraid to say but that is almost bound to happen with black paint. My 1500 hemi is black and you really need to do it by hand with a microfiber towel. If its real bad its hard to get you. You can try swirl remover like from 3M or Meguiers and the microfiber towel and follow up with a wax coat.

Another good tool is 3M hand glaze and a micro fiber towel followed by wax. The 3M hand glaze is a chemical buffer with no grit at all...

The best with black is...ALWAYS do it yourself. Only takes one guy to F it up.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Dude I'll tell you like it is NEVER take any vehicle to a dealership unless it is one like Bill P's. Five star or not they took out some 3m polish cleaner or wax put it on a buffer that hasn't been cleaned,, and has probably been on a hundred or more cars and buffed your truck in less than an hour. I worked at a gm dealership for about 7 years, and it did't matter whether it was a ZR 1 or a geo , knock it out quick , get it gone, next one in. That may not be the case , but sounds like it. Raisin hell ain't gonna do a dam bit of good, they'll just tell you we can do it again if you're not satisfied. The ONLY way to get it back rich and black is to take your own time and do it yourself. The paint will have to be polished over and over with something like 3m finnese then polished then waxed. Some of the guys on here will have different ideas, but most will agree, its been buffed, will take time to fix. Off the wall go to www.zainobros.com and read there site. I just ordered some and most of the guys on here that have used it love it to death. You're only other alternative is to find an expensive rod shop or customizing shop, or someone in your area with extremely nice rides and find someone to polish it for you, but expect to spend a couple hundred to do it right. Or just put Zymol or Meguirs Tech on there and don't look at that right angle sun, or under flourescent lights . Good luck and sorry any help or questions just ask, we all love our trucks, and love to help, now where's that michelob light.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I've had a quite a few black vehicles by now, and I can only tell ya what satifies me. Keep in mind, I drive my vehicles - they're NOT garage queens, so absolute perfection AIN'T on my mind, but they do look good!

First thing, it's a new vehicle, so oxidation really isn't an issue. Plus, it's clear coated over the black, so the clear is what you want to 'shine up'. You DON'T have to rub very hard at all!! More like just wipe it on, and wipe it off Daniel-son ( :D ). The harder you rub, the more chance it'll mark the paint, so wipe it on/off easy!

Second, DON'T do it in circles!! I usually go straight back and forth on each panel, and buff if off the same way.

Many peeps use the Zaino or Zymol, and I'm sure it has great results, but I don't have time for the multi-step systems. Basically, all I've been using for a while now is Mother's Reflections. It's super easy. I can knock out the whole truck in a 1/2 hour! Of course, the super-slick shine doesn't last more than about 3-4 weeks, but I can generally find the time to keep up on it.

Lately all it does here is rain, so right now the truck is F'd up! :mad: I just ordered car covers for it so I want to clean it up good one more time before Winter hits, because it ain't gonna see snow and salt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I used a cleaner wax and got the swirls off. I plan on putting some good wax on next week if the weather permits. You all really helped me out. It is nice to post on this forum and get some great advice. I am only 29 and don't have any past experience with black paint.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea man, I have an assload of swirls in my paintjob from morons waxing it without washing it thuroughly and swirling dirt particles all into my paint job. Sucks.

Being a painter and all, it really irks me everytime I look at te truck in direct light. So what I might have to do is colorsand and whellbuff the entire truck to fix it. Sure, it's going to thin my clear a bit, but that just means I will have to stay extra vigilent with waxing.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
cmicah83 said:
Yea man, I have an assload of swirls in my paintjob from morons waxing it without washing it thuroughly and swirling dirt particles all into my paint job. Sucks.

Being a painter and all, it really irks me everytime I look at te truck in direct light. So what I might have to do is colorsand and whellbuff the entire truck to fix it. Sure, it's going to thin my clear a bit, but that just means I will have to stay extra vigilent with waxing.
I'd make that the LAST call, try the products listed in this thread first. Also was wondering about that Dent DR. Maybe we can hook-up.
cell:310.600.9575
:cool:
Quick;-)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Zaino Brothers

I'll chime in on this stuff -- have used it for 5 years on my Firehawk. Sal Zaino is an awesome guy too -- he will get back to you by phone or email if you have application questions.

Scot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts