SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually an update of the oil issues discussed in http://www.srt10forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18630#post18630

After a very tedious two days I have finally got an answer regarding the oil capacity on our SRT-10 Rams. Please bear with me here, I went to the dealer this morning again I stated my case as to the oil capacity. They had done a little research and presented to me a copy of the "Dealer Connect" page which indicates that the 8.3 aluminum block motor requires 11 Quarts with filter. Not satisfied I produced my owners manual which states a capacity of 8.5 quarts with filter. At that point they balked and said that the "Dealer Connect" amount is correct and that my oil leak is not from there oil change. On my way out the door still confused I asked my salesman about this he gave me a Chrysler consumer hotline #.

I called this hotline after an hour on hold I spoke with a Tech. who reiterated my position that 8.5 is the proper amount. He then told me to call the service manager and have them call the "Star hotline" where he could talk to an engineer about this problem, I conveyed this to the manger. He called me back relatively quickly and stated that he spoke to a Steve guy and that he insists that the "Dealer Connect" version of 11 quarts. was correct. I am steaming right about now!!!! I go out to the truck jack it up and drain 2 quarts while I'm doing this the phone rings. Yup you guessed it the service manager calls. Steve had called him back and acknowledged a Mistake has been made. The "Dealer Connect" manual is incorrect, no ****, The proper amount for the 04 and the 05 SRT-10 RAM is 8.5 Quarts!!!!!!! They will make the correction to the Dealer Connect manual.

I am sorry for the rant, However I hope my toil my help someone else in the future. I still have to go back for my leak!!! :mad:

·
Registered
123 Posts
HEY MILO, you are right 8.5 qts with filter is correct,they changed the oil pan design so it would fit in the truck ,therfore it is not as deep is why it takes less oil ,vipers have the deeper pan that takes 11 qts with filter, not the truck v10.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Milo,

I just verified the dealer connect is screwed up like that STEVE GUY said.

ENGINE OIL WITH FILTER
8.3L 10.4L (11.0 qts.)

I checked it 5 minutes ago and it is still wrong. you would think the idiots at daimler would fix such a **** up, instead they cause (and continue to) grief to owners of their product.

Mark

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mark, I am worried about all those SRT-10 owners who are running around with 2.5 extra quarts of oil in there trucks. I have a feeling there will be some more rear seals to replace. :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Milo55 said:
Mark, I am worried about all those SRT-10 owners who are running around with 2.5 extra quarts of oil in there trucks. I have a feeling there will be some more rear seals to replace. :mad:
Damn skippy Milo

Here is the 2005 oil capacity which is correct and I am sure it is for 2004 also

ENGINE OIL WITH FILTER
8.3L - Oil Service Quantity 8.2L (8.75 qts.)
8.3L - Engine Overhaul Quantity 9.4L (10.0 qts.)

The big thing that pisses me off is that this bogus information which is also information that can lead to damage engine is still on dealer connect after that STEVE guy figured out something was wrong. Also, why did it take Daimler over a year to catch this... Oops, you caught it Milo, not them.

And we are worried about our dealers when the manufacturer does things like this.

Mark

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sitedrifter said:
Damn skippy Milo

Here is the 2005 oil capacity which is correct and I am sure it is for 2004 also

ENGINE OIL WITH FILTER
8.3L - Oil Service Quantity 8.2L (8.75 qts.)
8.3L - Engine Overhaul Quantity 9.4L (10.0 qts.)

The big thing that pisses me off is that this bogus information which is also information that can lead to damage engine is still on dealer connect after that STEVE guy figured out something was wrong. Also, why did it take Daimler over a year to catch this... Oops, you caught it Milo, not them.

And we are worried about our dealers when the manufacturer does things like this.

Mark
No ****! They told me that this change would go through immediately! :mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's very sad when the consumer knows more about the product than the so called experts..both 04-05 Ram SRT-10 V10's take 8.5 qts to fill..i do my own oil changes..no dealer or viper techs to **** it up..

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Check out what I am bringing in with me Friday when the dealer is supposed to change my trans fluid.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
TREMEC T-56 2.27 L (4.8 pts.)
T-56 - Mopar® Synthetic 75W-85 Manual Transmission Lubricant

STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRAIN AND FILL
Raise and support vehicle.
Remove drain plug (1) on transmission tail housing and drain fluid.
Install drain plug.
Remove transmission fill plug on left side of the transmission case.
Fill transmission with Mopar® Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75W-85. The transmission is full when the fluid level is even with the bottom of the fill hole.
Install transmission fill plug.

Mark

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pitrider said:
It's very sad when the consumer knows more about the product than the so called experts..both 04-05 Ram SRT-10 V10's take 8.5 qts to fill..i do my own oil changes..no dealer or viper techs to **** it up..

I usually do my own Pitrider, this time my PCM was spitting out codes so i figured while it was there I would let them do the first change..... Never again!!!!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sitedrifter said:
Check out what I am bringing in with me Friday when the dealer is supposed to change my trans fluid.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
TREMEC T-56 2.27 L (4.8 pts.)
T-56 - Mopar® Synthetic 75W-85 Manual Transmission Lubricant

STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRAIN AND FILL
Raise and support vehicle.
Remove drain plug (1) on transmission tail housing and drain fluid.
Install drain plug.
Remove transmission fill plug on left side of the transmission case.
Fill transmission with Mopar® Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75W-85. The transmission is full when the fluid level is even with the bottom of the fill hole.
Install transmission fill plug.

Mark

Mark I think you should stand there with them while they do it. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Milo55 said:
I usually do my own Pitrider, this time my PCM was spitting out codes so i figured while it was there I would let them do the first change..... Never again!!!!
Milo,no problem PCM is a ***** when codes are thrown..I think on the cam bolt recall last year dealer charged DC 11 qts on the re-fill. what was strange it looked like my old oil and at the same height on the dipstick..

·
Registered
329 Posts
WAY TO GO MILO!!! I would have given up A LONG TIME AGO. Way to stick to it and prove them that you were right. I think that makes it Consumer-24,748,363 and DC-0

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Sitedrifter said:
I will see if they will let me :rolleyes: but they at least they are getting the print out before the touch my truck :cool:

Mark
I would hope they would let you watch, I always do! They even let me drive my truck into the bay! :)

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
They might throw the usual.. Insurance reason. for me not to be able to watch

We'll see and hey... Maybe the new SYNTHETIC (not auto tranny fluid) 75W-85 GEAR OIL will quiet things down.

Mark

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Milo55 said:
Mark I think you should stand there with them while they do it. :D
what really sucks, is they (the dealer) dont have to have a Viper certified tech work on the ram srt. ANY TECH is acceptable to DC for warranty work etc. kinda blows the whole Viper training marketing crap out the window. i think if it has a Viper engine & cost what it did, only Viper techs should work on it. these are special trucks, & DC markets them as such, but when it boils down to it, they (DC) dont really care too much. pretty sad. change your own oil. no one will care about your baby as much as you/we do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's amazing that DC does not have corporate guys monitoring this site for useful information...things we find out about long before they do. Same thing happens on the Corvette Forum. When the 2001 Z06 first started being delivered (August, 2000) there were a few minor problems which were instantly revealed by the new owners. Took the Bowling Green plant forever to acknowledge these problems and longer in providing solutions!?!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait ta go MILO sticking to your guns! Nothing more frustrating than know your right. I don't know where the 11 qrts. came from ???? I changed the oil and filter in my srt viper and as stated in the manual it took 10 qrts. Can't believe they could screw up something the basic.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts