SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a SRT 10 today. They dogged the motor and spun a bearing.

Truck has 2600 miles. Needs a new clutch, bottom end rebuild and new wheels tires.

I have spoken to the local Viper mechanic who is willing to put it back to stock for me "off the books". This will be the cheapest alternative.

I'm also considering finding a builder to build a stronger motor with forged pistons and perhaps even a stroker crank. Can you all offer any advice on a the best way to go? Are stroker cranks even available for the Gen 3s yet? Aslo, I very likely will add a SC down the road.

I also need to replace the clutch. The SRT 10 Rams seem to be going through a lot of clutchs so I would like to upgrade since I plan on boosting HP down the road. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Finally...wheels and tires....I probably won't pay what DC wants for the stockers so I'm looking for aftermarkets...any suggestions?

Thank your everyone!! I hope in a about a month it'll be back on the road!

T

·
Registered
220 Posts
Shouldn't the motor be replaced under warrenty? If for some reason not definitely look into a stroker crank, but at least replace the pistons with forged ones especially if you plan on supercharging or turbo charging.

·
Registered
189 Posts
just curious, did you buy the truck off a guy at Dodgetalk? I see a silver one that needs a new clutch, bottom end, wheels and tires, and a repair on the front fascia

did you buy the truck?

·
Registered
189 Posts
yep guess i was right. wombie just give me your hemi. ill trade you mine even! 04 QC SLT 4x4 w/20's. ill take yours off your hands!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys yea I'm the same Wombie. I'll be picking her up this weekend. Gotta Zaino the Hemi and get her ready for sale. Not really sure what I can get for her to be honest...what do you think? I was hoping to get $25k. It has hotckis suspension, 22's, tonneau, viper alarm, magnaflow, rollpan etc etc.

It won't be covered under warranty so its on me but the price I got it for I should be fine.

I would love to find a stroker crank for a gen 3 but haven't found one yet except I called Hennessey and they want insane bucks for a stroker kit. I think he said $37Gs if they do it?? I dunno I stopped listening and I've heard too many Hennessey nightmare stories over the years.

Have heard of the Underground racing guys in NC. I have talked to the Viper tech here in town and I'm trying to hire him off the books.

Ya'll know anything about the clutches in these damn things? How hard is the clutch action on the Centerforce clutch kit? Are they grabby? What other options are there.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bro. That would have been a decent deal but alas they are sold. :(

I appreciate the lead though! Haven't found aftermarkets I like that aren't nearly $2gs a piece!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I have Ebay set up to automatically notify me now ;) Thank you for the great suggestions!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you John that is great news. May I ask a couple questions? How do you typically handle it? Do I have the block removed and sent to you for a rebuild? Send you the whole motor or send you the whole vehicle?

What is the typical time frame your able to turn around this kind of job?

Is it a new crank or a regrind? What kind of pistons and/or rods do you utilize?

Thanks very much...Tom

·
Registered
650 Posts
Have the motor removed where you live. Have the tech send us the long block only. This means leave the heads on, the front cover on, oil pan on. Everything else is OK to come off.

We will disassemble the motor and tell you what's broke. We will modify your stock crank to make it a stroker crank. We have forged pistons in stock both for boosted applications, which will lower compression to 9.0:1 and flat top pistons for normally aspirated (11.0:1). We used upgraded rights, forged steel wrist pins and Manley forged steel rods good for over 1000 hp.

The block will be bored 0.010 over to 4.040 in. with torque plates. The entire rotating assembly will be computer balanced. We also use upgraded, coated rod bearings.

The final product is a 522 cid stroker short block. Upgraded lifters, cam, etc. are all optional.

We have all these parts in stock. Turnaround time is about 4 weeks from the time we get the shortblock.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank again John.

What kind of numbers are you putting up for with that 522ci gen 3 stroker?

Do you suggest roller rockers with this install? Are there headers available for our SRT 10 yet?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
650 Posts
womsterr said:
Thank again John.

What kind of numbers are you putting up for with that 522ci gen 3 stroker?

Do you suggest roller rockers with this install? Are there headers available for our SRT 10 yet?

Sorry for all the questions!
For NA power will depend on a good heads and cam combo. We got 565 rw hp out of our last 522 cid stroker Ram. If adding boost, then its a function of a lot of things.

I dont suggest roller rockers. Stock rockers work fine for all the Gen 3 motors we have built so far.

We will be making an announcement about our stainless headers soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts