SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of the info out there and no one has really addressed the towing issue to any detail :confused: . Does anyone have any info about the towing abilties of the SRT-10? I've got some toys that I'd like to take with me once in a while. :cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
When I had my 99L, Ford made it out that the truck couldnt tow... but it was a GREAT towing vehicle. I thad the power for sure, and if you kept the tongue weight down it was fine.

I would imagine the SRT-10 RAM would be the same way... the suspension isnt really setup for it, so keeping tongue weight down will be important, but the power is there so it should not be an issue.

Just a guess tho....

·
Registered
599 Posts
ekool said:
When I had my 99L, Ford made it out that the truck couldnt tow... but it was a GREAT towing vehicle. I thad the power for sure, and if you kept the tongue weight down it was fine.

I would imagine the SRT-10 RAM would be the same way... the suspension isnt really setup for it, so keeping tongue weight down will be important, but the power is there so it should not be an issue.

Just a guess tho....

interesting?
The only 3 options available on a 1999 Lightings were:
1. 6-disk Changer
2. Tonneau Cover
3. TOW PACKAGE! with hitch, reciever and ball, wiring.

I never saw anything that indicated that Ford said the Lightning couldn't tow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wikdsvt said:
interesting?
The only 3 options available on a 1999 Lightings were:
1. 6-disk Changer
2. Tonneau Cover
3. TOW PACKAGE! with hitch, reciever and ball, wiring.

I never saw anything that indicated that Ford said the Lightning couldn't tow.
Perhaps I should clarify... when I participated on the F150online forums, many people said they didnt recommend it, or that it shouldnt be done.

Of course, there were a few of us who did it anyway and it worked excellent. I was inspired by a gentleman who used it to tow a boat.... a heavy, large boat... and said it was fine with his trailer.

Some L owners cried 'sacrilege <sp?>' when towing was mentioned.

Things may be changed now, that was about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ekool said:
When I had my 99L, Ford made it out that the truck couldnt tow....
Wikdsvt look at the wording again( Ford made it out ) I think ekool was saying, it was insinuated that it was built for performance not work.
Kinda what my SVT rep told me about my 02 when I told him it was going to get used for haulin landscaping material & towing our race car trailers.(open one's).
I was told things like Well you shouldn't, not to much or often, it's not really built for that. Blahh, Blahh, Blahh.

OK Never mind I see ekool beat me to it ( DARN dialup) :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts