SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a cold-air intake, but didn't want to drop a few hundred bucks on it, so IMO, I worked out a pretty good one this time.

After some poking around on K&N's website, I decided I needed their #RF-1008 Cone Filter. 4-1/2" flange opening, about 10" long, with a chrome lid. I called up Summit Racing and ordered one Sunday. It showed up Wednesday. $48, plus free shipping, oh, and that $8.95 handling charge :confused: = $57

I took a ride down to Lowe's Hardware and checked out what they had for piping/tubing. I decided on PVC. Found a 4" 90 degree elbow and decided that with the thickness of the tube, it would work well. (It did) About $4 :)

I already had a Valve Cover breather that I used on my Lightning. I got it from Pep Boys last year. APC I think? Anyway, I remember it being about $10.

I took some sand paper to the PVC elbow and scuffed it up, then painted it black. I clamped the K&N to the elbow, then installed the elbow/K&N on the end of the stock intake flex tube. I installed the elbow on an angle so the filter is just about beside the radiator. Then I removed the long section of skinny tube for the stock breather, installed my valve cover breather on the elbow(near the throttle body), and zip-tied it so it wouldn't come in contact with the fan. All that's left is removing the plastic shield on the back side of the grille which I will do this weekend. It looks good, has to be better than stock, and best of all it cost less than $75! :cool:

My first attempt with the stock airbox lid was just screwing around, I'm really happy with this setup.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks for putting those pics up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
The CAI looks great, Hamrhead!

I purchased a CAI for my Durnago from this gentleman:
www.intenseperformance.com
Great service, fair prices, quick shipping.
He sells the super-cone filters by themselves. A little more expensive than the one you picked up, but it has the cone face. You can check them out here:
http://www.intenseperformance.com/products/cone_filters/cone_filters.html
Scroll down to "Big Mouth Power Filters" and/or "ProFlow Filters". Colors too!
(Remember: If you don't look good, you can't go fast. LOL)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
Now if you could only come up with a way to keep it from sucking in all that engine bay heat you would have a true CAI!!

Looks Good!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,891 Posts
Marc T said:
Now if you could only come up with a way to keep it from sucking in all that engine bay heat you would have a true CAI!!

Looks Good!!!!
Actually his plastic design is a better heat barrier than aluminum. it should work ok for what it is, especialy for what it cost. looks good too.! :cool: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
I think you guys missed this part:
Hamrhead said:
All that's left is removing the plastic shield on the back side of the grille which I will do this weekend.
Cold Air....Intake.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep - Saturday the plastic shield was removed. Now I'm thinking about some sort of shield for the backside of the filter to deflect the engine heat. Not that I think it'll make much difference, but it can't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Hamrhead said:
Yep - Saturday the plastic shield was removed. Now I'm thinking about some sort of shield for the backside of the filter to deflect the engine heat. Not that I think it'll make much difference, but it can't hurt.
Watch your engine temp... Those shield's were put there for a reason according to our tech and that was to force the air through the radiator.. James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,494 Posts
GO4ADODGE said:
Watch your engine temp... Those shield's were put there for a reason according to our tech and that was to force the air through the radiator.. James
I don't agree. They aren't angled correctly to do that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GO4ADODGE said:
Watch your engine temp... Those shield's were put there for a reason according to our tech and that was to force the air through the radiator.. James
Yep. Drove it all Saturday night in 85+ degree temps, humid too. Based on the gauge, nothing really changed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
About how big is the valve cover breather? Should I go by the size of the hose it's utilizing or just go with "big."

Also, does that 90 degree elbow have a male and female end? it looks like it does but couldn't tell. Looks like the female end was attached to the filter. Is this correct?

Nice work hamrhead. Looks like it costs MUCH MORE and is just as effetive as some that cost MUCH MORE.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
SRTFirefighter said:
About how big is the valve cover breather? Should I go by the size of the hose it's utilizing or just go with "big."

Also, does that 90 degree elbow have a male and female end? it looks like it does but couldn't tell. Looks like the female end was attached to the filter. Is this correct?

Nice work hamrhead. Looks like it costs MUCH MORE and is just as effetive as some that cost MUCH MORE.
Just went and measured the breather. It's about 2" wide (across the chrome top) and 1.5" deep (Top to base of filter). You may want to measure the size of the breather tube that's on the truck, then try to find a breather with a similar sized hole. I already had this one from my Lightning, so I made it work without too much thought. Auto Stores like Pep Boys seem to carry tons of these things lately, so it shouldn't be a problem finding one.

The Elbow DOES have male and female ends, and YES, the female end is attached to the filter. It's just 4" sewer piping.

I've thought about getting a straight piece of piping and putting it inside the stock flex-tube towards the throttle body to improve flow, but for now I'm content with this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Thanks man. That should be all I need. Gonna order my filter tomorrow and I should be set. Exhaust will hopefully be in this week. Damb this is fun!!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top