SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend some sort of Aluminum Cleaner I could use on the Intake on my new (to me) '05 SRT-10 QC Intake? I'd like to be able to clean it in-the-Truck, as it has some pretty bad stains on it. Something I could use that would clean the intake but not hurt any of the surrounding engine parts...hopefully something I wouldnt have to use a garden hose to rinse off. Thanks! (If this isnt in the correct Forum, sorry..)

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Mine was blackened with stains when I got it, here's what works for me. I use Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish on mine with a microfiber cloth. Make sure the intake is cold to the touch, work the polish in small areas, and then buff to a clean finish. Your rag will quickly turn black so change the rag often.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip ViperDad, I just ordered some from Amazon and will try it out this weekend. :fing02:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish didnt work for me, it didnt take much of the Staining off. Pretty sure the only way to get it clean enough for me is to remove the Intake from the engine and use a caustic Aluminum Liquid Cleaner like they have for Mag Wheels to clean it then dry it, off the Truck so nothing else can get wet or damaged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are going to take it off you might want to look into having it glass beaded and then clear coated.
I thought about that and I have access to a Glass Beader.. but I've had really good luck using Chemicals on conventional Aluminum Intakes as part of a restoration process. I can usually get the Intake looking like brand-new original and not restored.
Plus, I know how to maintain an Aluminum Intake after it's been cleaned and reinstalled. Thats the problem with my SRT-10 Intake, previous owners must not have known (or cared) about keeping it clean. And you guys know once a stain is cooked into the Intake, its nearly impossible to get out while installed on the motor without damaging something else.
Anyway, I dont plan on taking the Intake off to restore unless its necessary for some other repair. But if I do, I'll certainly clean it at that time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that just stinks, sorry to hear it isn't a simple fix.
Maybe I'm just being too picky but I really like it clean under the hood of my cars. Usually, it isn't too difficult to do this. Once I get it the way I want it, it'll be easy to maintain.
And the Aluminum Cleaner you recommended works well on other stuff I have, just didnt do the job I was hoping for on the SRT-10 Intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts