SRT10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help troubleshooting a clicking sound coming from truck.
About a week ago I noticed there was a constant clicking sound (every few seconds) coming from somewhere underneath my Ram SRT-10 when it's turned off and just sitting there.

The sound is not the exhaust cooling down because I hadn't driven the truck in a few weeks. The truck starts right up, runs fine, but as soon as I turn it off and get out I can here the click. I'm not sure if it's doing it while I'm driving, between the Belanger headers, Magnaflow exhaust, and CAI there too much noise to isolate the click.

Anyone experience this before? Anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys I appreciate your replies, but please read my post. It has nothing to do with cooling down. The truck hadn't been driven in a few weeks and was making the clicking sound.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
disconnect the battery after you turn it off and see if it still does it.
Thanks, I'll try that and see if the clicking stops.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be solenoids firing on and off for some unknown reason. Loosen the Neg cable from the battery get the truck to start doing it then remove the Neg cable and if it quits then you know theres a short in the system. Do you have a check engine light on? And maybe not be a **** to those trying to help you.
"The truck starts right up, runs fine, but as soon as I turn it off and get out I can here the click. I'm not sure if it's doing it while I'm driving" is what you said! Maybe be more specific with what you say. Want me to word it for you?
After the truck sits overnight I turn the key to ON and then I hear some clicking noises from underneth. Does anyone know what this could be? BOOM Done!! You're welcome!!
Thanks for the info... I wasn't intentionally trying to be an a**** to anyone, if anyone felt that I was, my sincere apologies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm also thinking it's a relay or battery trickle charger or something else electrical. My '06 QC sits quietly when it's resting cold so I can't think of anything else it could be. You could try disconnecting the negative battery terminal and jumping it with a meter just to see what kind of amperage/voltage it's pulling.
I don't drive the truck often, so I have a Battery Tender plugged into it. This past weekend I unplugged the battery tender so I could roll the truck back far enough to get my motorcycle out. I haven't plugged it back in, but the clicking sound is gone. So it may very well be the trickle charger!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not trying to be an ass but have you checked for vermin. I have seen cars where mice and squirrels have gotten in and there is not much left of the electrical systems after they are done chewing on them.
I thought that too initially. Even got under truck with an led flashlight and looked around for any evidence of vermin. Fortunately that wasn't the case. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was thinking maybe he has a clock in the garage that was ticking. Happened to me before, was wondering what the heck it was!:pat:
lol... No clock in the garage

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't drive the truck often, so I have a Battery Tender plugged into it. This past weekend I unplugged the battery tender so I could roll the truck back far enough to get my motorcycle out. I haven't plugged it back in, but the clicking sound is gone. So it may very well be the trickle charger!
Well, now I know why the clicking sound stopped, what ever it is that was clicking drained the battery and i couldn't start the truck up last night to move it back up. I plugged the charger back onto the battery and let it charge overnight. It's started right up this morning.

Still need to figure out the cause, I'll keep you posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Might try the large evaporator canister that sits under the truck. I believe it has some type of solenoid on it. Definitely has electrical to it. Any recent modifications to the truck?
No recent updates. The last thing I installed on the truck were the Satin Black Wheels last year.

I haven't had a chance to investigate the problem further, so I'm not sure what it might be. The battery is disconnected, so there's no clicking sound going on right now. I'll look into it further when I get a chance and post what find.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I know it's been a while but for those interested... The problem turned out to be the PCM was not shutting off and continued to send signals to a relay switch. Unfortunately the fix wasn't simple as OEM PCM are no longer manufactured. I spent the next few years pulling the fuse for the relay every time I turned off the car and plugged the fuse back in when I wanted to drive it (would not start without the relay fuse connected). I considered installing a switch under the dash to manually turn off (disconnect) the relay when I turned off the truck. I was getting really tired and annoyed having to open the hood and connect or disconnect the fuse everytime I wanted to drive the truck.

In the end and after a few visits to the dealer and several discussions on options the electrical technician suggested rerouting the relay wires to the ignition instead of the battery. When the car is on the relay is powered, when the car is off the relay is without power. Workaround fixed the problem, no more clicking, no more dead battery and no more having to mess with the fuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.