SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I launch my SRT-10 it smells like the clutch is slipping and burning. Only thing is I can't detect it slipping. It just spins the wheels like you would expect and has plenty of bite. It will spin thru 1st, 2 truck lenghts in 2nd and 1/2 truck lenght in 3rd. Has anyone else noticed this smell...is it normal? I have 400 miles on it so far.

·
Banned
582 Posts
WOW! i hope you don't have problems down the road,or maybe you already do! 500 mile break in as per the manual!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
67SS509 said:
Whenever I launch my SRT-10 it smells like the clutch is slipping and burning. Only thing is I can't detect it slipping. It just spins the wheels like you would expect and has plenty of bite. It will spin thru 1st, 2 truck lenghts in 2nd and 1/2 truck lenght in 3rd. Has anyone else noticed this smell...is it normal? I have 400 miles on it so far.
Yup. Known problem. It'll fail soon :( FWIW, the clutch is expressly excluded from the warranty.. Between improperly torque pressure plate bolts, defective slave cylinders, and hydraulic lines too close to heat.. It'll get harder to get into gear, then start to pop out of gear if yours failed anything like my three.

Craig

·
Banned
582 Posts
according to my manual, page 6, clutch discs are covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles.also the break in period is crucial for proper clutch alignment and adhesion.( new clutches can burn easily) the break in period is not just for the engine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SRT10x3 said:
Yup. Known problem. It'll fail soon :( FWIW, the clutch is expressly excluded from the warranty.. Between improperly torque pressure plate bolts, defective slave cylinders, and hydraulic lines too close to heat.. It'll get harder to get into gear, then start to pop out of gear if yours failed anything like my three.

Craig
When yours failed did it give a lot of smell back in the cab?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Clutch

well i too finally had some clutch noise last night too-i'll be watching mine close

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
67SS509 said:
When yours failed did it give a lot of smell back in the cab?
On the black one, it smelled pretty consistantly from outside the cab after it started to fail. The Red and Silver one, both produced lots of smoke and smell that engulfed the inside of the cab.

Craig

·
Registered
157 Posts
clutch

srtx3- did you get all clutches covered under warranty,and how did you go about it at your dealership? thnks- TREV

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
trev17 said:
srtx3- did you get all clutches covered under warranty,and how did you go about it at your dealership? thnks- TREV
Yes, the replaced all the clutches under warranty.

The all went out a second time. They covered everything except the flywheels $168 each.

This go around, on the black, I ordered a Centerforce clutch from Hennessey Performance, had the dealer install it, again I had to pay for a flywheel. Labor was $750.00. It chatters, shutters, and pretty much isn't drivable even after the dealer put 300+ miles on it. General concensus is my dealer's viper techs are clueless. So I'm taking the black one to a performance shop in orlando that John Hennessey recommended, and of course the silver and red are in his care for upgrades, so I have no doubt the centerforce clutches in those will ROCK!

Craig

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SRT10x3 said:
On the black one, it smelled pretty consistantly from outside the cab after it started to fail. The Red and Silver one, both produced lots of smoke and smell that engulfed the inside of the cab.

Craig
OK, sounds like you have been there...done that. Whats the reason they are failing? Did you go back with stock clutches or something better from the aftermarket such as Centerforce?

Mine has not been abused and I didn't even try spinning the wheels until there was over 300 miles on the truck. Like I said you can't feel it slipping and seems to have plenty of bite. But if you give it 2000 rpms and pop the clutch it will spin the tires 2-3 feet and the burning clutch smell will smother you in the cab. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
67SS509 said:
OK, sounds like you have been there...done that. Whats the reason they are failing? Did you go back with stock clutches or something better from the aftermarket such as Centerfor ce?

Mine has not been abused and I didn't even try spinning the wheels until there was over 300 miles on the truck. Like I said you can't feel it slipping and seems to have plenty of bite. But if you give it 2000 rpms and pop the clutch it will spin the tires 2-3 feet and the burning clutch smell will smother you in the cab. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
See above post... I am by no means an expert, and I love my trucks. Next to my girlfriend they are the only thing that puts an ear to ear grin on my face. :) I suspect that the additional weight of the vechile has something to do with it. I also suspect that poor assembly is causing a lot of problems, loose pressure plate bolts prevent proper break in. Fluid getting hot. I believe the rating on the clutch is like 390hp, so you are only gonna get a couple of really good bites on the clutch assembly before there is nothing left.

Oddly enough on every one of my SRT's, the flywheel has heat damage so extensive, they won't grind/lap it down. The Silver truck I only let the dealer drive as they expressed concern in my "Driving habbits". Their service manager managed to burn the clutch up in stop and go traffic :)

Craig

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
See above post... I am by no means an expert, and I love my trucks. Next to my girlfriend they are the only thing that puts an ear to ear grin on my face. :) I suspect that the additional weight of the vechile has something to do with it. I also suspect that poor assembly is causing a lot of problems, loose pressure plate bolts prevent proper break in. Fluid getting hot. I believe the rating on the clutch is like 390hp, so you are only gonna get a couple of really good bites on the clutch assembly before there is nothing left.

Oddly enough on every one of my SRT's, the flywheel has heat damage so extensive, they won't grind/lap it down. The Silver truck I only let the dealer drive as they expressed concern in my "Driving habbits". Their service manager managed to burn the clutch up in stop and go traffic :)

Craig
hey bud, the last thing i am waiting on is the master cylinder for a GTS viper. then i will have the alloy gts slave, master cylinder, alluminum flywheel, & centerforce clutch setup. i hope to get part in on wednesday, & give you an update.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
BOOMER said:
hey bud, the last thing i am waiting on is the master cylinder for a GTS viper. then i will have the alloy gts slave, master cylinder, alluminum flywheel, & centerforce clutch setup. i hope to get part in on wednesday, & give you an update.
Let me know how you deal with the pressure fittings on the GTS/Viper cylinder.

Craig

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
Let me know how you deal with the pressure fittings on the GTS/Viper cylinder.

Craig
easy-the fittings are held with A roll pin, just tap out the roll pin, remove the fitting, install the new one with a dab of lubriplate on the oring, & tap back in the roll pin-youre done. a 45 second job, done did it, just had to do it so the line would be long enough for the GTS master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
BOOMER said:
easy-the fittings are held with A roll pin, just tap out the roll pin, remove the fitting, install the new one with a dab of lubriplate on the oring, & tap back in the roll pin-youre done. a 45 second job, done did it, just had to do it so the line would be long enough for the GTS master cylinder.
OK. Cool. My dealer is officially clueless then..

Thanks.!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
OK. Cool. My dealer is officially clueless then..

Thanks.!
HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!! i just got to drive my truck after weeks of sourcing parts for it. this is what i did:
Viper master cylinder with remote resevoir

alloy viper slave cylinder with 2 .060" alluminum shims under it to maintain stock height

motul racing brake fluid

an alluminum billet heat shield for the clutch line

centerforce clutch & pressure plate

alluminum flywheel 13lbs lighter than stock

BM ripper shifter, with our shift arm & pistol grip handle

THIS IS NOW THE BEST SHIFTING, EASIEST TO DRIVE STICK EVER!!!
i dont have to slip the clutch a little to get it going, in fact i can just let out the pedal with no throttle in traffic to get her going. the ALLUMINUM FLYWHEEL IS GREAT! dont listen to someone if they tell it is too light for the truck, it works SO DAMN GOOD!
the truck now shifts silky smooth & the engagment is better than any other tranny i have drove. i was not expecting it to be so good.
the clutch pedal is now firmer-as it should be, but in a good way.
i have to say i am so shocked at how good it now is, it is the way Didge should have did it!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
BOOMER said:
Viper master cylinder with remote resevoir

alloy viper slave cylinder with 2 .060" alluminum shims under it to maintain stock height

motul racing brake fluid

an alluminum billet heat shield for the clutch line

alluminum flywheel 13lbs lighter than stock
Do you have Part numbers for the viper parts, or what model year did you use. Also, the billet heat shield, did you run the entire length?
Additionally, where did you find a light flywheel at?

Congrats of fixing what Dodge couldn't!

Craig

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
Do you have Part numbers for the viper parts, or what model year did you use. Also, the billet heat shield, did you run the entire length?
Additionally, where did you find a light flywheel at?

Congrats of fixing what Dodge couldn't!

Craig
actually i became a dealer for everything, since my business is in performance/fabrication.
the bililet sheild we make here, & it runs from the frame rail to the tranny to completey sheild the line.
we sell the flywheel here, i figured if i am going to do all of the leg work, i might as well go all the way & have access to this stuff. if youd like anything at all i will be happy to get it for you, just let me know! :D :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
BOOMER said:
actually i became a dealer for everything, since my business is in performance/fabrication.
the bililet sheild we make here, & it runs from the frame rail to the tranny to completey sheild the line.
we sell the flywheel here, i figured if i am going to do all of the leg work, i might as well go all the way & have access to this stuff. if youd like anything at all i will be happy to get it for you, just let me know! :D :cool:

Hey Boomer, how much would everything you did cost me to order and have it shipped to Dublin, CA?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts