SRT10 Forum banner

CLUTCHES: What Works & What Does Not...

5K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  04SRTRAM 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been getting quite a few cals and emails from folks asking me what works and what we are doing for our 550-720 rear wheel hp Ram SRT trucks.

Well, I will just tell you here is what I know wont work in my own experience:

1. Aftermarket light weight flywheel.

2. Aftermarket clutch (any manufacturer).

Why? Well I have theories, but I dont have time to write them all out. But for now, I dont think any aftermarket clutch or flywheel is going to help you if you are having clutch trouble. We are working on some things that we hope will allow a stronger clutch to be used in the trucks. But for now I can tell you that we have quite a bit of test miles on powerful Ram SRT10's, including a 522 CID stroker motor that makes 565 rw hp and goes 12.4 on stock tires. The stock clutch has worked fine in this truck and it has 1000 miles on it and about 30 1/4 mile passes. The twin turbo truck also currently has stock in it. We have not drag raced it yet, but it has been tested from a roll on quite a bit and the stock clutch is holding 700-800+ rw torque.

So here is what we do, contrary to many other expert opinions out there:

1. Use stock clutch and flywheel. If installing a new clutch, break it in before you go hammering the dog piss out of it.

2. Flush clutch hydraulic fluid with Motul 600 fluid.

3. Move hydraulic line as far away from exhaust pipe as possible and thermal wrap it.

Thats it. Sounds pretty simple eh? Well it is and in my opinion the best designs are the simplest ones. Too many people out there modifying this and trying that and not getting anywhere. Well you can keep on trying different things or you can just go by what I just listed and know works as I have the most powerul Ram SRT10's in the world sitting in the shop and they all drive fine with big power.

We will keep you posted if and when we come up with an upgraded clutch system that works. In the mean time we are sticking with stock.

I hope this helps a few people out.

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds like some great information John - Thanks!

I have thought quite a bit about thermal wrapping the hydraulic line, but as of yet I have no problems, so I guess I've been dragging my feet. Definitely seems to be a smart idea based on how close it is to the exhaust.

If this truck wasn't my daily driver, I'd definitely be looking to get rid of the cat converters. I figure straight through mid-pipes (off-road pipes) would also help to get rid of alot of that heatsoak.

#5 ·
John Hennessey said:
My experience has been that the truck is too heavy for a light weight flywheel. And the reason a good aftermarket clutch wont work is the fact that the Ram SRT slave cylinder is junk.
John, thanks for the info. What about replacing the slave cylinder w/ the Viper slave cylinder? I've heard the ratios are completely wrong, but a few others on the forum have converted over. Thoughts?

Kirk

#7 ·
John,
That's awsome input. It's appreciated greatly I happen to agree with you on the stock clutch. I am still a little unclear as to why people think the ram slave cylinder is bad.. Can someone inlighten me please...

#8 ·
Titan said:
John,
That's awsome input. It's appreciated greatly I happen to agree with you on the stock clutch. I am still a little unclear as to why people think the ram slave cylinder is bad.. Can someone inlighten me please...[/QUOTE
i have over 2000 miles on my aluminum flywheel & centerforce clutch with Viper slave & mastercylinder. this is and has been the single best improvement i have done to this truck to date. some of the trucks out there work fine stock, but there is a rash of them that are prone to failure. TRW who manufactures the clutches had 3 of them fail on the dyno. is my truck making 7009 plus, no not yet, but 625hp from my new build i just did is pretty damn good. before the build i installed the flywheel & NO THE TRUCK IS NOT TOO HEAVY in fact i can leave a stop light easier than ever & the truck accellerates like crazy, and comes out of corners like it is leaping. it now shifts better than ever. guys i have this same tranny in a 800hp 67 camaro big block. i had to do the same thing to it. Keisler engineering & Detroit speed puts these trannys in muscle cars and trucks all of the time. i have dicked with both of mine & the light flywheel is a great improvement & the clutch works flawlessley.

#9 ·
BOOMER said:
Titan said:
John,
That's awsome input. It's appreciated greatly I happen to agree with you on the stock clutch. I am still a little unclear as to why people think the ram slave cylinder is bad.. Can someone inlighten me please...[/QUOTE
i have over 2000 miles on my aluminum flywheel & centerforce clutch with Viper slave & mastercylinder. this is and has been the single best improvement i have done to this truck to date. some of the trucks out there work fine stock, but there is a rash of them that are prone to failure. TRW who manufactures the clutches had 3 of them fail on the dyno. is my truck making 7009 plus, no not yet, but 625hp from my new build i just did is pretty damn good. before the build i installed the flywheel & NO THE TRUCK IS NOT TOO HEAVY in fact i can leave a stop light easier than ever & the truck accellerates like crazy, and comes out of corners like it is leaping. it now shifts better than ever. guys i have this same tranny in a 800hp 67 camaro big block. i had to do the same thing to it. Keisler engineering & Detroit speed puts these trannys in muscle cars and trucks all of the time. i have dicked with both of mine & the light flywheel is a great improvement & the clutch works flawlessley.
Sounds awesome Boomer. I would guess that the key to your success has been the improved slave cylinder.

#10 ·
BOOMER said:
Titan said:
John,

I hear ya Boomer, But I am still unclear as what the problem is with the slave cylinder. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to be a smart ass. I truely don't understand the issue with the slave cylinder..

#11 ·
What is the slave cylinder? Concerned but lost here on the lingo!

patrick

#12 ·
BOOMER said:
Titan said:
John,
Boomer,

I agree 100%!!

I have the same set-up as you and the truck is shifting like a champ. I would still like a little shorter throw but I guess the design won't allow for this.

It is definetly the best mod I have done to the truck. Third gear can still be a little tricky, but I am getting it down and havn't missed it in a while. Gotta be careful not to push it over to far into fifth.

I am stoked on my set-up!!!

#13 ·
I've got the lightweight fly wheel and don't have any problems with it. It's the slave cylinder I can feel starting to crap out again. I think its time I try out the Viper fix.

#15 ·
SRT10x3 said:
I have an extra one, if you want it. PM me your addy, and I'll ups it to you.

Craig
Dam nice of ya Craig

#16 ·
It's about the heat soak, stupid.

INTREPER said:
I've got the lightweight fly wheel and don't have any problems with it. It's the slave cylinder I can feel starting to crap out again. I think its time I try out the Viper fix.
Having had the line tied up after 4k miles, and having the slave cylinder replaced at 11k today, I'm convinced that it's the super hot fluid that's ruining the slave cylinders. What do you want to bet that the Viper car slave makes a better heat sink too?

#18 ·
ramfromhell said:
Having had the line tied up after 4k miles, and having the slave cylinder replaced at 11k today, I'm convinced that it's the super hot fluid that's ruining the slave cylinders. What do you want to bet that the Viper car slave makes a better heat sink too?
exactly correct-the truck slave is PLASTIC :mad: -the viper-car is alluminum-which dissapates heat faster than just about anything. the fluid when heated seeps past the oring allowing air into the slave cylinder-bingo clutch drags-clutch burns up. the one thing i would like to do is to make a heat sink for the back side of the slave cylinder to cool it, but a with a thermal barrier on the back side of it so it wont asorb heat from the tranny.
the stock plastic design is goofy, i still dont know why DC that it was a good idea to have a completely different slave for the truck, and then make it out of plastic! i dont know of too many things that have to handle heat, hydralic pressure-and have moving parts-made of plastic? goofy.

#19 ·
So what we are saying is replace your slave cylinder with the viper s/c before you fry your clutch .Last month I took my truck to the World of Wheels . Loading it in my trailer was very tight so I had to go very slow . By the time I finished the clutch smell filled the trailer. This is not slave cylinder related ? Correct? I can load by viper this same way over and over without smoking my clutch. My truck has the 4:10 gear in it . Was this the issue ? I have the 4:56 ready to install.

#20 ·
SNKPWR said:
So what we are saying is replace your slave cylinder with the viper s/c before you fry your clutch .Last month I took my truck to the World of Wheels . Loading it in my trailer was very tight so I had to go very slow . By the time I finished the clutch smell filled the trailer. This is not slave cylinder related ? Correct? I can load by viper this same way over and over without smoking my clutch. My truck has the 4:10 gear in it . Was this the issue ? I have the 4:56 ready to install.
YEAH, I think it is a combonationof that & a weak pressure plate springs

#21 ·
I just ordered some Motul 600 fluid online. The Mercedes mechanic I work with told me that changing the clutch fluid to this type might harm the seals, creating leaks.
Is this true???? Has anyone who has changed fluid had problems?? Does evry drop of old fluid have to be removed???Will they mix????

#25 ·
71demon said:
I just ordered some Motul 600 fluid online. The Mercedes mechanic I work with told me that changing the clutch fluid to this type might harm the seals, creating leaks.
Is this true???? Has anyone who has changed fluid had problems?? Does evry drop of old fluid have to be removed???Will they mix????
the motul 600 racing brake fluid is the best stuff going-used it for almost the past 10 years in everything we have here. good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.