SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ItemDetail.php?Item_ID=146&cart=ztZXuEVM&DoThis=Dodge+Ram+SRT10&ActionReq=Where

I will try to get a pic of it on the Venom 600 Ram SRT10. The kit is probably very similar to what 9Seconds has made himself. While the kit looks fairly simple, its actually time consuming to build once you start making a bracket and polishing it, etc.

I get asked all the time if it make the ram air hood functional. And the answer is no. This system simply replaces the factory airbox and puts a large K&N filter right behind the front grille. This is the most effective way to get cold air to the motor and thats what makes power. I am sure that a nice ram air kit could be built and utilize the hood scoop. But I doubt that there is any benefit by using the hood scoop. And the cost to make that kit would be pricey.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I take it the pipe doesn't replace, or bypass the accordian tube much.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Looks good John. That factory scoop would be more useful if it was providing cool air to keep a sealed off intake manifold cool. Unless you spray then who cares, right?

·
Registered
621 Posts
John Hennessey said:
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hennesseyperformance/ItemDetail.php?Item_ID=146&cart=ztZXuEVM&DoThis=Dodge+Ram+SRT10&ActionReq=Where

I will try to get a pic of it on the Venom 600 Ram SRT10. The kit is probably very similar to what 9Seconds has made himself. While the kit looks fairly simple, its actually time consuming to build once you start making a bracket and polishing it, etc.

I get asked all the time if it make the ram air hood functional. And the answer is no. This system simply replaces the factory airbox and puts a large K&N filter right behind the front grille. This is the most effective way to get cold air to the motor and thats what makes power. I am sure that a nice ram air kit could be built and utilize the hood scoop. But I doubt that there is any benefit by using the hood scoop. And the cost to make that kit would be pricey.
Hey John, I think that looks awesome!!! If I were to order one, how long would it take you to get it out to me?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
HD - Right now we are so busy in the shop along with our polisher being so slow that I would promise you we would ship it within 30 days. Hopefully sooner. I have had quite a few orders for these for longer than that but we are catchin up on our orders. You can order online and there is no up front payment required. We ship it COD when its ready. Thanks for asking.

Intreper - yes we use the stock accordian hose that goes to the throttle body. No practical way to replace that as it is so tight between the throttle body and the fan shroud.

·
Registered
35 Posts
John-
What about some sort of kit consisting of the air intake, headers, catback and ECM re-program? Would you consider cutting some sort of deal if ordering all of those together?

Thanks.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Why $450 for the cold air kit? That seem's a little high. Not trying to be disrespectful, just wondering if the price is going to come down later.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Personally, if you can skip the polishing and offer it to me for something like 2 bills, I'd most likely do it.

$450 for a filter and elbow is simply not going to happen here. Sorry.

·
Registered
974 Posts
ditto that Hamrhead. I was just trying to be diplomatic about it lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ditto that again, a black power coated elbow would look cool

·
Banned
582 Posts
or red! please!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
John,
I'm certainly NOT trying to be disrespectful and I do appreciate what you do for us maniacs. Like I said, if you could get me the filter and the UNpolished bare tube w/ bracket for $200, that would be cool. I'll polish it or paint it myself. (or do nothing to it except install it :D )

Otherwise, I guess I'll make something up on my own.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have thought about making them in black to save some time and cost. Here are the economics of the deal: Filter $50, tube $60, labor to cut tube and make bracket $60, polish tube $120, misc. hardware $20, total: $310. Thats what these things cost to make. We make them because they look nice, make power and make our customers happy. But at the end of the day, they probably arent worth fooling with from a monetary standpoint. But like I said, the upside is that they make happy customers and happy customers usually order other things, so from that standpoint, they do make sense. We had a guy come by the shop yesterday to get one installed and when he left the shop he had a big smile from ear to ear. That was great to see!

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I fully understand your side and respect it. If I was in your shoes I'd probably do the same thing. I also understand the small market for these pieces as well.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks John!!

John, great talking to you today! I've gone ahead and placed the order for the Cold Air intake setup as per our discussion. Just wanted to say thanks and appreciate you taking time to explain everything to me. Not many people take time out of their day to talk to us little guys and get us pointed in the right direction.

The air intake is one of my first steps in getting more out of my SRT10. Looking for more to do, just need to work out what exactly will get me where I want to be. Any suggestions would be welcomed

·
Registered
329 Posts
Are you guys CRAZY?! Have you not read Hamrheads post on a cheap CAI? I went to Lowe's tonight to get everything I need to make this thing. Here is a copy of my receipt:
Sandpaper $3.67
Black Hi Heat Spray Paint $3.94
4" 90 degree Elbow $1.34

Grand total (after tax) $9.49

I ordered my K&N filter this morning for $46.24.
All I need now is the Valve Cover Breather which is ~$10. For a grand total of $65.70.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't have $450 to be waisting on a CAI that I can build for $65. Granted it's not polished crome, but DAMB!! The flat black matches almost perfectly. And, most importantly, IT'S JUST AS EFFECTIVE.

Just my two bits.

·
Registered
974 Posts
SRTFirefighter said:
Are you guys CRAZY?! Have you not read Hamrheads post on a cheap CAI? I went to Lowe's tonight to get everything I need to make this thing. Here is a copy of my receipt:
Sandpaper $3.67
Black Hi Heat Spray Paint $3.94
4" 90 degree Elbow $1.34

Grand total (after tax) $9.49

I ordered my K&N filter this morning for $46.24.
All I need now is the Valve Cover Breather which is ~$10. For a grand total of $65.70.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't have $450 to be waisting on a CAI that I can build for $65. Granted it's not polished crome, but DAMB!! The flat black matches almost perfectly. And, most importantly, IT'S JUST AS EFFECTIVE.

Just my two bits.

I agree my only concern is water. It rains allot here in the winter. I am affraid
having an exposed filter at the grill would cause some issues... Has anyone thought of a work around for that ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
All I can say is that to have quality, sometimes you have to pay the price. It is pretty sad, that you can buy a Fifty Thousand dollar truck, but you can not afford a CAI. Lets get our priorities in line, and do the right, and clean looking thing. Some times you have to pay for quality!!!!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I knew that argument would come about. I just thought it would be less than two posts later.

I agree, you do have to pay for quality. That's why I bought a $45000 truck, but 450 for some polished metal (and that's all you're paying for) seems a little steep.

My view is that people see that we payed $45,000 and up, for a truck so they're thinkin' "Hey they got the money. Let's charge' em a ton for this cold air intake."

As for looking "clean"... it does. If you weren't told how it was made, you wouldn't have any idea. If I told you I paid $300 for it I think you would belive me.

Just my opinion... again.

And one other thing. I don't think it's "SAD" i paid 50K for a truck, but I can't afford a CAI. I think it's f'n great that I chose to spend my hard earned money on one of the best trucks in the world. And if it took me getting two additional jobs so I can afford it, then so be it. I LOVE MY TRUCK

1 - 20 of 46 Posts