SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, folks. I am seriously considering picking up an SRT-10 quad cab for my daily driver to replace my Yukon Denali XL. I like the idea that it can seat 6 in a pinch, keep up with my M3 and can (probably) tow my 95 Supra TT. I drove a red one at a local dealer and really liked it, though I would probably hold out for a silver or black one. However, my problem is that I am unsure whether or not it can be reliable as a daily driver or tow vehicle. I also rack up a lot of miles annually as my current ride (Denali XL) is an '03 and I'm up to 53000 miles. The fuel economy isn't any issue, plus the power will be nice to have on a daily basis. Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,270 Posts
Well,I traded my `01 XL Denali for a `04 RC SRT-10 and have no regrets.I had the Denali modified with a supercharger and a lot of other stuff and it had 500 HP like a stock SRT-10.I really didn`t need the room in the Denali as I was alone most of the time driving it.Maybe one passenger tops.I have not regretted it one minute since.Seems logical to me.I have had a lot more comments on the SRT-10 than the Denali and I did a ton of mods to it.The fun factor is X 10 compared to the Denali.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
For a 500 horsepower vehicle, I'm very surprised at the good gas mileage on the open road...14.3 mpg. Very distintive vehicle on the highway. Sure love the leather/suede seats. Very comfortable on long trips. Rarely drive my Z06 anymore...damn!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,977 Posts
I see no reason why it wouldn't be as reliable as any other new vehicle! :confused:

Don't know how it will do in Winter snowstorms though, if that's an issue for you??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Considering a SRT-10 QC for Daily driver, good ide

That's what I do with my Silver QC......it has been great in traffic
and even is stable on wet payment. In Texas snow/ice is not
common .... so not sure how it would handle in snow. Use to
drive a 99 Silverado Z71....no comparison....everybody loves this
truck.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Love my Red QC! The Viper motor is solid the truck tranny should be able to deal with the torque only question is the stress of higher speed and higher HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I already did what you are considering...My only complaint is the transmission - shift points suck. I am now having a major issue, as it is slipping into neutral under hard acceleration in 2nd gear, at about 4500 RPMs...Other than the trans, I think it is an OK daily driver. I am concerned about how the motor will hold up, though. I think the QC version is definitely de-tuned compared to the RC...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comments guys. My dealer found me a silver one which was the color I really wanted. Gonna go tomorrow and see what kind of trade-in I can get. What's a fair price to pay for one of these monsters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
tomato said:
I already did what you are considering...My only complaint is the transmission - shift points suck. I am now having a major issue, as it is slipping into neutral under hard acceleration in 2nd gear, at about 4500 RPMs...Other than the trans, I think it is an OK daily driver. I am concerned about how the motor will hold up, though. I think the QC version is definitely de-tuned compared to the RC...
Tomato,

Both the autos and the manuals are de-tuned from the factory. In your case they do it with shift points, torque converters, fuel/air ratios and timing. For the manuals its fuel/air ratios and timing. Someone will come out with a programmer to fix this for you. Unfortunately DC is very slow to release the info to aftermarket companies so it takes longer. Our manual trannys have the eperience from Viper tuners so their are tunning options out there. Give it time , you will be getting barks in second and maybe third soon.

As for your tranny slipping out of gear, get it in the shop and have it repaired. It,s under warranty and will get fixed.

Good Luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
OK. Not to be a smart ass BUT, who has proof the the trucks are detuned at the factory? For months I've read pro's and con's here on the forum and haven't seen anyone post positive proof that this is so. Question? Why would they, DC, do that anyway? It's the meanest STOCK truck on the planet right? How much HP am I missing if this is true? Just want to know. Droopy. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I seem to have fixed my trans problem. There is a throttle position sensor for the trans that you can adjust, and, for whatever, reason, it stopped having problems when I put it back to stock position.

Marc: Appreciate the insight-Iam definitely waiting anxiously for Hypertech to come out with a programmer. I truly believe that they could wake up this truck. Hennessey told me that their first mission was to get a better torque converter. This, no doubt, would make a huge difference, but I'm sure it would void the warranty.

As far as de-tuning...This truck seems to change its mannerisms on a daily basis. I am sure the computer makes constant adjustments. It chirped like crazy through the gears when brand new. Now, it only does it on rare occassion (1,200 miles). Also, as someone else noted a while ago, there are 2 re-programming stickers on my PCM...

Lastly, they MUST have de-tuned it somehow, as I don't think the drivetrain, from the TC back, could handle the full force of 500 HP. I agree with Hennessey that the TC is likely the biggest culprit. Look at the split drive shaft and the rear-end and axles. My guess is that the QC would be damn lucky to lay down 410 ponies to the rear wheels. If it did, I would guarantee that it was only because the TC was locked and the PCM gave full power at WOT and high RPM. The engine management program, I'm betting, delivers much lower power up to that point. I've had cars ranging from 180 to 633 flywheel HP, and this one sure don't feel quite like 500. If it delivered max power throughout the RPM range and gears, with the heavyweight that we are dealing with, it would likely blow the axles off the truck. Just my $.02.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
Cross my heart.

DrivingSchool said:
I doubt the motor is detuned. They advertise 500HP, the Viper makes 500HP perhaps 500+15hp for a range. So there is no room to lower the HP.
The check's in the mail.........Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
DrivingSchool said:
I doubt the motor is detuned. They advertise 500HP, the Viper makes 500HP perhaps 500+15hp for a range. So there is no room to lower the HP.
I am sure it does put 500 to the FLYWHEEL at WOT above say 5,000 RPMs. I'm at different points in the power curve and further down the drivetrain...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
Droopy said:
OK. Not to be a smart ass BUT, who has proof the the trucks are detuned at the factory? For months I've read pro's and con's here on the forum and haven't seen anyone post positive proof that this is so. Question? Why would they, DC, do that anyway? It's the meanest STOCK truck on the planet right? How much HP am I missing if this is true? Just want to know. Droopy. :confused:
As for the 04's, It is very clear on the Dyno that the Air/Fuel Ratio is not set for High performance. This is one of the key things Roe tunned through the Vec2.Also advance the timming a little.

I'm sure they do that for emmision reasons and not to rain on our parades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tomato said:
I seem to have fixed my trans problem. There is a throttle position sensor for the trans that you can adjust, and, for whatever, reason, it stopped having problems when I put it back to stock position.

Marc: Appreciate the insight-Iam definitely waiting anxiously for Hypertech to come out with a programmer. I truly believe that they could wake up this truck. Hennessey told me that their first mission was to get a better torque converter. This, no doubt, would make a huge difference, but I'm sure it would void the warranty.

As far as de-tuning...This truck seems to change its mannerisms on a daily basis. I am sure the computer makes constant adjustments. It chirped like crazy through the gears when brand new. Now, it only does it on rare occassion (1,200 miles). Also, as someone else noted a while ago, there are 2 re-programming stickers on my PCM...

Lastly, they MUST have de-tuned it somehow, as I don't think the drivetrain, from the TC back, could handle the full force of 500 HP. I agree with Hennessey that the TC is likely the biggest culprit. Look at the split drive shaft and the rear-end and axles. My guess is that the QC would be damn lucky to lay down 410 ponies to the rear wheels. If it did, I would guarantee that it was only because the TC was locked and the PCM gave full power at WOT and high RPM. The engine management program, I'm betting, delivers much lower power up to that point. I've had cars ranging from 180 to 633 flywheel HP, and this one sure don't feel quite like 500. If it delivered max power throughout the RPM range and gears, with the heavyweight that we are dealing with, it would likely blow the axles off the truck. Just my $.02.
Why wouldn't the drivetrain handle 500hp load if the Cummins trucks have more torque and are rated to tow much heavier loads?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
First off if they developed the truck to do all it would do it wouldn't pass federal emmissions and the aftermarket wouldn't have anything to develop. So taking into consideration the normal 15% drivetrain loss from 500 hp you come up with about 425hp at the rear, which on average is what the RC's made depending on conditions. The Auto's should be about 18% or so , so they should make about 405hp to 415hp.They have the four convertors plus the tuning from the factory for emmisions ( mainly on bottom to about 3-3500rpm). So with tuning there will be major gains on bottom but not too much on top. Removing the cats and opening the exhaust and air intake provides major gains, therefore getting rid of the factory emmisions and letting the engine breath naturally. You have to take into consideration also that the factory must take drivability and durability into consideration. The factory didn't detune anything on purpose. If you want to look at it as detuning yes they did according to definitions, but with all the pita heads out there, they have to make the truck also enviromentally freindly. But that is great for us because we get to reap the benifits of grooming the engine the way we want or can afford. Boomers truck for example will do rolling burnouts now. Just from a few modifications. So you can imagine how the auto's are going to do with CAI and no convertors maybe headers and exhaust. The argument over detuning has been hashed over and over on the board, lets focus on enjoying the benifits of the knowledge of 9 seconds, boomer ,fastjack?, and hennesy , roe and the rest of the guys that make the mods. I feel with these few different mods the trucks should average in the 450hp range with some awesome bottom end.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top