SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my take on 9seconds's Easy Cold Air Intake design. So far i've only spent $120 on the project, and that includes 2 intake pipes, air filter, and powder coating. I'm going to use the second intake to experiment with different colors. :cool: I stil have some tinkering to do in positioning the intake. I might cut an inch off the pipe to make it sit more flush against the grill, but I haven't decided yet. We'll see.

Feedback is welcomed.

Attachments

·
Banned
582 Posts
looks great, did you remove the blocker panel on that side of the grill, to feed air to the filter?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You betcha. Next i'm removing the extra battery tray. That requires a little more time to do, so i'll get around to it eventually.

·
Banned
582 Posts
would a 4" piece of pipe work, i can get a hold of fiberglass elbows (a 4" 90 degree would cost $70.00) then there is the filter, is there a 4" ID available?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hamrhead said:
Me likes!

Are you looking to sell them? :D
I might later down the line. And they wont be $400 either. :D

Sanchoba, the pipe diameter is 4", so it should work. Look at 9 seconds thread titled Easy Cold Air Intake. That will have all the specifics regarding what diameters, lenghts, etc.

·
Banned
582 Posts
INTREPER,i did check that particilar thread and he used a 4.5" dia. pipe. what filter brand did you use and do you have a part#?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mistake. I could have sworn it was 4". But you're right, I just went and measured, and sure enough, its 4.5"

The filter is a K&N, the part number can be found in the same thread. The picture of the actual filter has the part number.

·
Banned
582 Posts
INTREPER, i remember 9 seconds had to shoe-horn the 4.5" pipe into the plastic accordion piece ,was wondering if you thought a 4" piece would work?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 4" peice would work inside, but because its that much smaller, clamping it down would be somewhat difficult. I split the accordian in half to fit the intake inside of it. Right now, im actually thinking of just cutting the entire accordion off and just using the stock TB elbow for the new intake design.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Looks good Nice job. Did you notice any preformance gains?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The throttle is a bit more responsive.....but the sound it makes is what really gives you the giggle factor. I plan on dyno'ng it sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Think about this. I put a hose clamp around an extra piece of the 4 1/2" aluminum tubing and squished it into an oval shape that matches the throttle body. Maybe one of these 90's can be flattened somewhat and the entire tube can be made of aluminum. I'm also seriously thinking about electric fans in front of the radiator and getting rid of all that power steering fan drive crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
9 seconds said:
Think about this. I put a hose clamp around an extra piece of the 4 1/2" aluminum tubing and squished it into an oval shape that matches the throttle body. Maybe one of these 90's can be flattened somewhat and the entire tube can be made of aluminum. I'm also seriously thinking about electric fans in front of the radiator and getting rid of all that power steering fan drive crap.
Intresting find 9.....but where would be find a 90 degree bend to fit from the oval to the rest of the intake?

·
Registered
2 Posts
looks good, the only thing i would be worried about is water, not sure how many of you drive in the rain.

My Mercedes has cold air on both side, but it has little drains in the plumming. I guess is for when your in deep water. pretty easy and simple, there is the intake pipe ---- then it has a hole in bottom ---hole---- under that hole is a vaccum line ( same as like on the rear axle) with a clamp. I guess this just lets the water out if it happend to get throught the filter and intake.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
INTREPER said:
Intresting find 9.....but where would be find a 90 degree bend to fit from the oval to the rest of the intake?
I would oval out one of the aluminum 90's everyone else is using. Just on the TB end though. Not the bend. I may try it or just go ahead and put the Gen II Viper intake on and forget about the 4.5" stuff.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I personaly think all we need is a high flow K&N drop in and replacement of the accordian style hose with a smooth tubing and it will be as good as it can get.

The cold air set up is on the original box was well designed, by removing the box youare exposing the intake to heat from the engine bay.

Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Marc T said:
The cold air set up is on the original box was well designed, by removing the box youare exposing the intake to heat from the engine bay.

Just my 2 cents!!
Not just your 2 cents but that of PVO also. They feel like that air box works quite well, especially with the air deflector in the grill. The head of the SRT Ram mentioned that one improvment would be to seal off the inner fender past the air box better. There is a small bit of insulation there but not really a seal.

Good observation.
Steve

·
Banned
582 Posts
i measured the stock filter and ordered a panel type filter from k&N, if i remember correctly, overall size was 10" by 11", i ordered the closest size to this listed on the website, i'll let you know how it fits when i get home. (working offshore)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts