SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just my truck,or are you guys needing to clean you wheels about every 100 miles of city driving. i have a little over 1000 miles on this truck and i have had to clean the wheels about 8 times, and you really notice they are big 22" wheels when you have to clean them. DAMN!

·
Registered
621 Posts
begood said:
is it just my truck,or are you guys needing to clean you wheels about every 100 miles of city driving. i have a little over 1000 miles on this truck and i have had to clean the wheels about 8 times, and you really notice they are big 22" wheels when you have to clean them. DAMN!
LOL, I hear ya!! I spend a ton of time on those damn things and they are dirty within a week! I guess that's a small price to pay for these bad boys!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oh man I hear ya too. I am convinced that after I wash and polish my truck including the wheels, it is only REALLY clean for about 20 minutes. I have no garage or covered parking and it takes about 20 minutes for dust, bugs, pollen, etc. to become visible. (the curse of black I guess) I can drive to work and back (36 miles) and run my finger across the inner portion of the rim and my finger will be black. That is after taking it real easy and downshifting to slow down rather than using the brakes. I wish they would invent dustless brake pads. They invented smokeless gun powder why not dustless brakes. lol

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Yup! Brake Dust = PITA!! But when ya finally do get them clean, it's worth it.

I usually do a full wheel cleaning (inside & out, including calipers) once a week, and just 'touch it up' on the outside once or so during the week.

Otherwise, it's my daily driver so it gets dirty. Black is a MF'er to keep clean, but I did it with my L so I can do it with the SRT.

Thank God for the California Duster! :D

BTW, how many of you have beat up your hands with cuts from reaching inside the wheel to clean the calipers? :rolleyes: I have to start wearing some type of glove!

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I clean the wheels after every time I drive it. Just the price you have to pay for having 22's. As for hand cuts, yes! I wear mechanix gloves now. The wheels sure look great inside when they are clean though. By the way, does anyone know if you can chrome these wheels or is it not worth the effort? I guess that would add unwanted weight. :(

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
As was posted a while back, the brake material is the same as the Viper brake material. Good for stopping. Bad for looks. I am embarrased at how mine look right now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wash Gloves work great

I use a wash glove to clean up my 22". The slots on the wheels are wide enough to get your hand and glove through and you can get some good scrubbing done.
I recently good into some fresh crack fill tar on the highway which resulted in tar all over the place. So I got out the old WD40 soaked down the tar and even the wheels clean off great.
You can buy some mag cleaning products but I have found that some have pretty strong acid solutions in them which settle out and have to be mixed prior to each use or you can create more problems with spotting on the aluminium. The wheels are super when there clean and get lots of looks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
there isnt soemthing to keep them clean from brake dust? My 20" wheels dont get brake dust, but ive heard some other dodge 17" wheels will get covered in it

wierd. Is it as bad as ford expedition/escapes? A friend of mine has an Expedition and the brake dust makes the wheel look like a spare

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
After cutting up my hand from the first washes I bought a really cool brush that has a 12 inch or so handle on it. The bristles are soft on the ends yet firm up in it near the base. Just stuff that sucker between the spokes and you got yourself some clean wheels!!!!!!!! My last wash was bruise and scrape free!!! :)

As for fords. I remember when the new f150 came out, the first one I saw had soooo much black gunk on the front rims, I could hardly believe it. Instead of looking at the truck I just couldnt get my mind off of the super dirty wheels in the front. Ford has some serious brake dust going on.

patrick

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah the berak dust suxs.. Their is a way to stop the break dust from getting to the outter part of the rim.. The only problem is you loose the cooling and can no longer see the calipers... Dont believe that's worth it... Here is a link to what I am refering too..

Click Here

·
Registered
249 Posts
It is pretty common for high performance vehicles to have heavy brake dust issues, as they have a heavy metal content to take the heat and wear associated with stopping things that go fast in the night. Many Porsche owners have complained over the years with the same problem, and I believe there will be some pads out very soon ( if not already ) from EBC, that will cut down on squeal and dust. I will do some checking on Monday.

·
Registered
621 Posts
bortego said:
I wish they would invent dustless brake pads. They invented smokeless gun powder why not dustless brakes. lol
LOL! AMEN!

·
Registered
17,270 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
begood said:
I wipe mine down every other day. They get dirty fast. They look great clean.
When I don't have time to detail the whole truck, I clean the wheels. It makes the whole truck look clean !!

·
Banned
582 Posts
Yeah, Be Carefull Not To Scratch Or Destroy The Clear Coat On The Wheels With A Strong Acid Cleaner, Or You Will Really Have Problems!

·
Banned
582 Posts
windex is fine, i use the windex wipes for a quick touch-up, and you can use a commercial wheel cleaner, but be sure it says "safe for clearcoated wheels"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts