SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My AC is marginally OK AT BEST.

I HAVE to leave it on recirculate (of course the compressor button has to be on but I'm talking about the second button next to the snowflake button) in order to really get ANY COLD air on a hot day.

Is this normal with a dodge vehicle? Specific to this truck? Do you guys see this problem as well?

If it's a commoon problem with dodge or this truck, I'm R E A L L Y dissapointed.

I went to the dealership and they basically said "oh yea, that's normal man... HAS to be on recirculate to get COLD air!"

Horse Hockey I say!

No other car I've owned in the last 3 years has been this way (7 C5's, a GTO, couple of mustangs!)!!

?

·
Banned
582 Posts
take it to another dealer and get a second opinion, mine works fine in the 98* plus heat of south texas, second setting on the blower is all i need to keep me comfortable.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Another thing, The new AC,s are definitely as good as the old ones. They will get cold but it takes them a little longer due to the Freon that has to be used cause of EPA regs.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
When I first got my truck , I thought it took too long to get cold but then I found that recirculate button and have left it on since. I remember thinking its not that cold where as my last truck a hemi was very cold with or without the recirculate deal on. But I have since yet to use it with the button off. I will try it and let you know.

patrick

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
On HOT days, like 90 degrees and up/humid, it seems to take longer than it should. I'm not 100% sure on this, but next time rev the engine up a bit and go through the gears, maybe 3-4,000 rpm's. I may be dreaming but I think it helped mine to cool down quicker ---> Spin the compressor faster and get some air moving. Makes some sense to me. :confused: :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
AC Works hard

My air seems a little bit slower than my hemis. I think the AC works harder because the V10 engine bay seems to be warmer than the V8 compartments. What do I know anyway? Just a thought. I leave it on recir most of the time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm not in love with the AC in mine either. I didn't turn the blower off of high until 20 minutes after I left work. Eventually it gets there though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine sucks too

i have a 2001 diesel and it will freeze me out and its a club cab... the srt 10 is almost never cold...and its got 800 mi on it...if i get on it at all its warm for 5 min at least...and thats running it on recirc any ideas????

·
Registered
183 Posts
A/c

My A/C is very marginal. I had a 03' Lightning and 03' Silverado and in both especialy the Ford the A/C was twice as good as this Dodge.I wonder since these trucks were built in Mexico if there refrigerent used is not up to par? Larry

·
Registered
974 Posts
Mofo said:
My A/C is very marginal. I had a 03' Lightning and 03' Silverado and in both especialy the Ford the A/C was twice as good as this Dodge.I wonder since these trucks were built in Mexico if there refrigerent used is not up to par? Larry
I have to say I am completly happy with mine... You have to remember if you truck has been setting in the heat 90+ with the windows closed. The first thing you need to do is turn the a/c on, turn on recirc and open a window as you drive down the road for a minute, this will exhaust the 150 deg + air from your truck.... Allowing the A/C unit to respond more quickly. A/C units will only drop ambient air 30+ degrees. If your curious to see if it's working get a temp probe and install it in one of the duct's if the temp being discharged is 30 deg less than ambient air its working....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On 2 of my 5, the driver versus passenger side coolness was off by more than 10 degrees. A quick trip to my 5 star dealer fixed the problem under warranty. It was 101 here the other day, took 4-8 minutes to cool the entire truck down.

It is definately not as good as on my HEMI's. That I'll wager one of my SRT/10's on.

Craig

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
It is definately not as good as on my HEMI's. That I'll wager one of my SRT/10's on.

Craig
Alright then, mine is just like yours, my hemi was meat locker compared to this one. I am doing what somebody else said, open windows and hit the recirc button and that does cool it down faster. Its hot here now too, temps are almost 90 or so with humidity about 60 or maybe 70% on sticky days!!! Tradewinds are blowing though which helps a heap.

It rained tonight on the way back from the gym, man that sucks!!! I had her clean for so long. :mad: LOL

patrick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So with the excpetion of three or four of you, you agree, your A/C isn't up to par...

Way to go Dodge.

Do any of you all's SRT-10's lock themself SOMETIMES (random...) after you cut the engine off?

My truck has locked me out twice now (left keys in the ignition when I got gas...) started filling up, then truck locked itself. UGHHH!!!

Also, do any of you have newer ( less than a year old) craftsmen garage door openers??? Could you get your homelink with it? (I tried calling them but I got tired of holding after 22 minutes.)

Can ya since how pissed off in general I am with this truck. Ugh.

On a happier note - I raced my Dad's GTO (new one) last night and had 4 cars on him by 90.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
EdwardETraylorIII said:
Do any of you all's SRT-10's lock themself SOMETIMES (random...) after you cut the engine off?

My truck has locked me out twice now (left keys in the ignition when I got gas...) started filling up, then truck locked itself. UGHHH!!!
I turned that sh!t off first thing when I bought my truck! :mad: Turned it off on my '99 L too. I HATE auto locks!

The owners manual tells you how.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
Titan said:
I have to say I am completly happy with mine... You have to remember if you truck has been setting in the heat 90+ with the windows closed. The first thing you need to do is turn the a/c on, turn on recirc and open a window as you drive down the road for a minute, this will exhaust the 150 deg + air from your truck.... Allowing the A/C unit to respond more quickly. A/C units will only drop ambient air 30+ degrees. If your curious to see if it's working get a temp probe and install it in one of the duct's if the temp being discharged is 30 deg less than ambient air its working....
What you're saying certainly makes sense, but I owned my L for 5 years and never had to play any games and give it time to get cold A/C, even on the hottest days. Just turn it on and crank it up. The A/C in my Ram simply doesn't work as well as my Lightning. Next time I see the Dealer I plan on mentioning it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Hamrhead said:
What you're saying certainly makes sense, but I owned my L for 5 years and never had to play any games and give it time to get cold A/C, even on the hottest days. Just turn it on and crank it up. The A/C in my Ram simply doesn't work as well as my Lightning. Next time I see the Dealer I plan on mentioning it.
guys, think of the heat soak the radiator is putting into the condensor as well. that is a big, badass engine making ALOTO HP :D so naturally it is making more heat. also maybe the ac compressor is underdriven a little, but the engine heat is the main culprit. :D

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
BOOMER said:
guys, think of the heat soak the radiator is putting into the condensor as well. that is a big, badass engine making ALOTO HP :D so naturally it is making more heat. also maybe the ac compressor is underdriven a little, but the engine heat is the main culprit. :D
But,,, I have this problem when I leave work, after the truck has sat for 10-12 hours. Sure it's 90 degrees out, but the engine, radiator, and coolant are cool. Engine heat really isn't a factor at this point. :confused:

An underdriven compressor could be part of the problem though.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If the engine gets so hot how come they put those black plastic deals on the back of the billit grill? Without those there, you would get a lot more fresh air blowing into the engine area.

patrick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts