SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The hard piece to find is the transition from oval to round while making a 90. Dodge already did this for you. The transition piece is smooth unlike the rest of the hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next piece you need is a large smooth light weight tube with a mandrel bent 90. This piece is 4 1/2" and is aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next step is to join the two. I didn't want to cut up my original hose since I didn't know if this would work and I would like to be able to put it back stock if necessary but needed to do something about that accordion portion . The 4 1/2 tube will, with some coaxing, slide inside the factory hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After removing the old air box and re-routing a couple of wires, you can attach a K&N to the end of the tube so that is sticks out towards the front grill between the body and the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a few clips hold on the little plastic piece on the grill that deflect air to the old air box. Pop those off and it looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A couple of small K&N breather filters and a little hose will plug up those connections to the original hose and air box. I don't have those on yet. They are the same ones I used for the '99 Viper.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air box is gone as is the diesel battery tray. Turns out that it's there because the air box is supported by it. As for the sound, yes it seems louder. You can really hear the air from the intake. I would have to dyno it to know if the perceived increase in power (based on sound and seat of the pants) is real.

·
Registered
83 Posts
9 seconds said:
The next piece you need is a large smooth light weight tube with a mandrel bent 90. This piece is 4 1/2" and is aluminum.
Where did you get this piece of pipe?

Also, you mentioned rerouting a couple of wires and plugging a few hoses in the following step. Can you be more specific?

BTW, this thread is totally cool. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked the aluminum pipe up from www.burnsstainless.com . I paid too much for it but didn't want to wait. They left their price on it and it was half what I paid.

The wire re-routing was nothing more than seperating them from what was supporting them (metal AC line) and causing them to go across the opening I wanted the filter to go through and attaching them (tie wraps) to another one of the hoses in that area. No wires were disconnected. You can see them in the engine bay photo. They're positioned bottom center and are attached to the rubber AC hose. They were attached to the metal AC hose up by the K&N.

The hoses were the ones attached to the air box and intake hose. I believe one was a crankcase breather and the other is for the idle air solenoid. If you put the aluminum tube far enough into the factory hose, the idle air hose connection will be blocked.

Another thing to note is that the factory hose angles up and mine runs flat. I had to rotate the connection on the throttle bodies until the tube ran flat. Doing this moves the inlet air temperature sensor. To free up a little more wire, I bent the bracket attached to the wires (under the throttle body) with some needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
9 Seconds.....did you feel a difference in performance after you removed the stock air box?
Also, putting the air filter in the front grill is a great idea, but wont rain, or water cause harm if it were to enter through the filter?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
INTREPER said:
9 Seconds.....did you feel a difference in performance after you removed the stock air box?
Also, putting the air filter in the front grill is a great idea, but wont rain, or water cause harm if it were to enter through the filter?
Tha ass dyno says performance improved but I never believe those. As for rain, I have driven it through two of what we here in Texas call "turd floaters" and havent seen any hint of problems. Possibly requiring more frequent oiling is all I can think might be necessary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found the supplier of Burns Stainless for the 4 1/2" aluminum tubing.
They are Woolf Aircraft products at

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/smartcat.aspx?az=71997001&type=list_order&template=/olc/71997001/temp.htm&rn=3166504+4504655+4504662&QuoteCount=0
Phone number:800-367-5475, I talked to Joe and he said they had a couple left.

Their tube has part number 450-065-450-090-6061 and is $58.00 but they have a $75.00 minimum order. I had to order two, so get together with somebody and get a couple.
Late,
Taylor

·
Banned
582 Posts
9 seconds, do you have a part # for the k&n filter? or is it a standard size with a 4 1/2" ID?

·
Registered
174 Posts
9 seconds, are there any plans for a heat shield?
I'm about to order the pipe from the link posted previously. Anyone want to buy the extra one i'm purchasing?

·
Registered
174 Posts
hey 9......whats the part number of the pipe you ordered? I've looked and looked on-line, and every one seems out of stock on the pipe we need.

Thanks for the help buddy!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts