SRT10 Forum banner

Gibson Headers and exhaust

10K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  9 seconds 
#1 ·
Ok - i have not told anyone except FSTjck that i had a buddy tell me to call Gibson and see if they wanted to use my SRT as a test fitter for free headers, (shorties),smog legal and an exhaust kit.So i said ok,why not its free and i can always take the sh-t off-

I told them that magnaflow was on it and that i'd bring the stock exh. w/ me-
So they dyno'd all this stuff ,take a look and tell me what you think-

The part that gets me is the 397 hp to start with,and with shorties to get that much gain. They told me a bunch of stuff , so i want you to all realize that i am simply passing on the info. i have received from these guys. NOT my opinion,I AM looking for your input,but realize i am passing all this on in an attewmpt to pass onm what most of you have been passing on to me for months.-

I just took pics tonight and will throwthem up tom.or the next day i am slammed at work-

NOW,...my seat and sound opinion- Well they said that the magnaflow although a decent exh. and 3 in and out was still constrictive and they air tested o they said. they also said that although their exh. is 2 1/2 it has better air in and out or whatever--

The sound is COMPLETELY different- I hate to say it and the verdict is still out i have only drove it home from Corona on mon., but it sounds mild at idle and not as deep as a throaty sound from the mag. ,but when you get on it ,it sounds much louder if you can imagine that- Almost like two crotc rockets inthe same car taking off-if that makes any sense?
And if you like the wind down and the backfires you would probably nut hearing this set- the backfire when i drove away was so strong i thought something was wrong- but it wasn't and it is intense.by the time i got home i was really grinning-

Can i feel the mods in thwe seat- YES
dramatically?- no
Sound different and i like it ,will i keep it i don't know- time will tell

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
well i guess they are hard to read so... in a nutshell they are claiming that--
stock ran 397 hp and 407 tq- (what do you guys think)

with headrs and stock exh.-423 hp and 462 tq

headers and Gibson exh.- 435hp and 477 tq

they said rear wheel w/ the mag was 6 hp

who knows i do know they are trying to sell their product and i can't fault them- i do want all you gearheads' opinion-

#4 ·
John Hennessey said:
We have dyno'd several stock Ram SRT10's on our Dynojet chassis dyno. The lowest peak rw hp we have seen is 418 and the highest is 428. FYI,
Yeah that's what I thought... Hmm interesting info.... I heard the longtube headders are the way to go... But at 3K + not to sure about that anymore
I would buy a set for 1.5K but 3k dam.... Good info Trev I am curious as to what the other's are going to say..... Thanks for the info... this is the kinda info that makes this site awsome..

#5 ·
Trev

great info glad you are sharing, as this is how most of us learn about this stuff. I too have read what John H. has said, stock rwhp is about 420. Oh well they are gonna try and bump up their numbers ...whatever, we all buy what we like thats all. Moparmuscle magazine or something like that, had a great article on the srt-10 and had a graph of hp and torque from idle ish all the way up to 6k. Max hp was 420 (rwhp) at 5200. Cant remember what torque was.

Keep us informed, I love reading about this stuff.

patrick

#6 ·
trev17 said:
well i guess they are hard to read so... in a nutshell they are claiming that--
stock ran 397 hp and 407 tq- (what do you guys think)

with headrs and stock exh.-423 hp and 462 tq

headers and Gibson exh.- 435hp and 477 tq

they said rear wheel w/ the mag was 6 hp

who knows i do know they are trying to sell their product and i can't fault them- i do want all you gearheads' opinion-
Very possible, your stock exh. will probibly handle a lot more than stock hp without restricting. On the Ls stock exh. is good for over 500 hp and we all know they are only rated at 380hp, so aftermarket is basicly just for noise until you get some decent mods done.
one to watch is where in the RPM range are you getting the power "HP or Torque", and will that range fit your plans/use. Peak #s are nice but useless if they're in the wrong RPM range.
The other point to watch on Dyno #s, is the differance between SAE#s and STD#s. which is pretty close to the Differance between Gibbsons and Johns #s not saying they are using the differant ones, #s can be off do to elevation "how far above sea level" how tightly the vehicle is straped to the dyno "downforce on wheels", etc. although the STD to SAE is always the biggest differance, and makes for some GREAT Vendor catfights on the L boards.
As you said they are selling there product, as all Vendors do, and most will always have theres come out on top one way or the other.

#7 ·
D Davis said:
The other point to watch on Dyno #s, is the differance between SAE#s and STD#s. which is pretty close to the Differance between Gibbsons and Johns #s not saying they are using the differant ones, #s can be off do to elevation "how far above sea level" how tightly the vehicle is straped to the dyno "downforce on wheels", etc. although the STD to SAE is always the biggest differance, and makes for some GREAT Vendor catfights on the L boards.
As you said they are selling there product, as all Vendors do, and most will always have theres come out on top one way or the other.
When comparing dyno data its important to use SAE corrected numbers.

#9 ·
well i guess we could go to the "did i get a slow one" topic?.......... ????
also i've brought my truck in to have the clutch checked and i have been warned of a possible phantom flash,i guess they call it-
a detuning of sorts if they think your too hard on your truck?
Whatever!
D Davis - i will drive it some more tonight but from what i feel it responds to my foot better- and i belive it does not take as long to really jump when you are in lower rpm's-

#12 ·
Those stock numbers are all wrong. And what they're claiming in HP with the Magnaflow is wrong too. If I remember correctly, we got at least 10 or 12 horses at the rear wheels when Magnaflow was doing the R&D for the system.

Gibson asked me originally if they could use the bosses truck for R&D, but I turned them down as I am not a huge fan of their products.

#13 ·
Trev, I am inclined to agree with most of the other guys here, the stock numbers are way too low. I ran a dyno on mine when I first got it and it put out 429.28 rwhp & 465.62 torque. I think you are correct in your statement that they are after all trying to sell a product. Later

#15 ·
FYI, there seems to be a 15-20 rw hp difference between what the Gen3 motor makes in the truck vs the Viper. I suspect that this difference is not related to the differences in exhaust and air intake systems between the 2 vehicles. It is more likely that the Ram's taller and heavier rear tires, larger driveshaft and solid axle have a greater driveline loss than does the Vipers driveline. Thus 500 flywheel hp makes 445 hp to the rear tires in a Viper and the same power in the truck makes 428 hp to the tires.

#16 ·
9 seconds said:
My first thought is not your truck but their equipment. Might be worth while to have it checked somewhere else if you suspect you are really lower in power.
i dont feel like i'm lower in power overall, just possibly lower to start. you guys saw my track #'s and i have driven another srt and both of us felt mine was lagging.
I am taking it in tom. to a trustworthy shop for them to look over and see what they can see

#17 ·
trev17 said:
i dont feel like i'm lower in power overall, just possibly lower to start. you guys saw my track #'s and i have driven another srt and both of us felt mine was lagging.
I am taking it in tom. to a trustworthy shop for them to look over and see what they can see
trev, according to some people @ Arrow, & some engineers i have talked to, there is an "factory allowed" tolerance stack up for cam timing. some Viper owners have had their cars down on power & found it was in the cam timing. Chrysler will fix it if you complain, but they will allow it to pass even though yours is down way on power. i bet the cam timimg is retarted or the flywheel timing marks are off. bet money on it.

#18 ·
Boomer- what would be your suggestion on how to handle the problem? either with the dealership or out of it- what would be best?

#19 ·
trev17 said:
Boomer- what would be your suggestion on how to handle the problem? either with the dealership or out of it- what would be best?
get a 2nd opinion from another dyno first. try to use a dyno like Henessey's so we can have an appples to apples comparison first before we go to far. maybe & i hope it is just the dyno reading, maybe even Gibson cooked the numbers for the first runs to make their afterwards results look better. i dont how to do it on our motorcycle dyno but anything is possible. i guess in the truck you could kick the AC on to lower the numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.