SRT10 Forum banner

Going back into the dealer for another look

5K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  VPRTKMIKE 
#1 ·
Well, the 4th gear noise is getting much louder, 3rd is starting (getting louder) the same noise, rear axle whines at 52MPH in 4th (could be 4th whining but sounds like a pinion whine). I think the rear differential has too much play/backlash as it is extremely hard to get a smooth shift (lots of clacking from the rear when the clutch engages). Not just me but friends of mine have tried and find it hard to get out of 1st into 2nd and 2nd into 3rd without hearing some type of clack, even driving it mellow (shifting from 1st to second under 2500RPMs)

Anyone know a competent Dodge dealer in NJ that *really* has a Viper Tech and is willing to work on vehicles not sold by them?

I am calling the dealer tomorrow and I guess I will have to nicely tell them there is problems with my truck and I cannot accept that it is normal and they must check it out with a fine tooth comb.

Sorry for the slight rant but I really did not need a problem vehicle right now.

Thanks

Mark

#2 ·
I dont know if you would want to come all the way out to Long Island, but at the dealership near me the mechanic is awesome. His name is Mike Figlozzi, he's a Viper Tech. He's listed under Viper Club of America, ROE Racing, and others. The dealership is Lee Dodge in Farmingdale. The phone number is 516-249-7700.

#4 ·
Sorry i can't help with a Tech Mark. But I would not stop your Quest! This is a great vehicle and its a shame you have to go though ignorance like this!!! :mad:

#7 ·
Took the HotRod in and the tech (same tech as last time) drove her. He heard the noise in 2nd,3rd, VERY noticaeable in 4th and also heard it in 5th. He agreed it seems louder. Says my backlash seems fine anot loose :confused: They put her on the lift, checked fluid levels as well to see if the fluid might be burnt. Everything looked OK as far as fluid goes. They are contacting STAR for further support as they really don't want to rip into the transmission (if needed) without support from Daimler. The service Manager said he will be contacting me within a couple of days with an update. :(

We will see what STAR says.

Mark

#8 ·
I hope this will lead to a solution, Mark. Keep us informed. Mike ;)

#11 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing what you find out. We have had some nice weather the last few days and I have had the back slider open when I'm driving home. I heard what I thought was excessive noise when decelerating in 4th gear. Guess I will have to follow up on this with the dealer.

I was going to lower the rear this weekend. I will now have to wait until I get this cleared up. Don't want to give them any excuse for voiding the warranty.
Damn. Was really looking forward to seeing it lowered.

#12 ·
Heh Site, I hope you get it all worked out......I had to take mine in on Tuesday, cd stopped working.....I leave my house @ 6 am to get there by 7 wait two hours to have them tell me the cd player is broken and they are gonna order me a new one....then when it comes in they will exchange it out, send the dead one to dc and they will mail me my cd's that are in it!!!!......fun fun fun......but it could be worse!!!! I did watch the tech's like a hawk to make sure no test drives were done!!!

patrick

#13 ·
Hey maui,

I can tell you that my dealer takes me in right away,no wait and seems to be working with me and wants to help. I hope something comes about and hey, there is still a chance it is all normal :eek:

Anyway, the dealer has shown to be sincere which is enough to make me take a step back because that in itself is unusual and refreshing. So, keeping fingers crossed :D

Mark

#14 ·
mauiSRT/10 said:
Heh Site, I hope you get it all worked out......I had to take mine in on Tuesday, cd stopped working.....I leave my house @ 6 am to get there by 7 wait two hours to have them tell me the cd player is broken and they are gonna order me a new one....then when it comes in they will exchange it out, send the dead one to dc and they will mail me my cd's that are in it!!!!......fun fun fun......but it could be worse!!!! I did watch the tech's like a hawk to make sure no test drives were done!!!

patrick
I wouldn't let them take my radio! :mad: They said the same thing to me :( then I told them I wasn't going without a radio while the order was completed :eek: they said they would call me and exchange the radio out in one day :cool: no down time without the radio!!! :rolleyes:

:( :(
Quick

#16 ·
Spoke with the Service Manager today and he said Daimler says no current known issues with the trans so at this point they suggest to replace the trans fluid and go from there :p I have an appointment for Friday. Will let you know what happens. I will say Kudos to the dealer for following up :)

Mark

#17 ·
Just in case your dealer tells you there is automatic trans fluid in the manual trans

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
TREMEC T-56 2.27 L (4.8 pts.)
T-56 - Mopar® Synthetic 75W-85 Manual Transmission Lubricant

STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRAIN AND FILL
Raise and support vehicle.
Remove drain plug (1) on transmission tail housing and drain fluid.
Install drain plug.
Remove transmission fill plug on left side of the transmission case.
Fill transmission with Mopar® Synthetic Manual Trans Lubricant 75W-85. The transmission is full when the fluid level is even with the bottom of the fill hole.
Install transmission fill plug.

#18 ·
Site,
I would make them drain the trans fluid through a shop rag or strong paper towels to check for metal fragments! :eek:

Later,

#22 ·
Sitedrifter said:
The dealer is doing what STAR says to do and in my book, at least they are being cautious which is a good thing.

Mark
Good Work, Mark! Did you watch the process? Sucks that they did not find the problem :( Don't baby it drive it hard so maybe the problem will surface. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.