SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I dont remember exactly where ive seen this, i think it was a pic or link to a pic from this forum, but i would like to find a hard fiberglass tonneau cover for the truck and countersink the spoiler bolts, maybe carriage bolts or something, any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tonneau & bolts

If I remember correctly your factory bolts will come out of your bed & maybe you could use them to fasten the wing to the tonneau cover. ML

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Group911 said:
If I remember correctly your factory bolts will come out of your bed & maybe you could use them to fasten the wing to the tonneau cover. ML

yeah, they do, but then the bolts would rest on the bed rails after you close the truck lid, if it would close.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thats what i was thinking quick, have you seen this done yet?
and who makes the best hard fiberglass lids?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I installed a Low Rider hard cover on my truck. I removed the wing and bolts, then with clamped box rails fitted the cover. I remounted the wing through the 1" fibreglass but u need 3/4" to 1" longer bolts to thread to the wing. I put 1" washers on the bolts to spread the load over a bigger area and tightened them up fairly tight. The bolt heads and washers drew up into the fibreglass far enough to cover them with fibreglass and paint them over. Looks like factory and the wing looks like it belongs there.. I've run it at 140 mph and it has budged. In fact I think the hard top cover will stand up better at high speed then the soft tops.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
456 said:
I installed a Low Rider hard cover on my truck. I removed the wing and bolts, then with clamped box rails fitted the cover. I remounted the wing through the 1" fibreglass but u need 3/4" to 1" longer bolts to thread to the wing. I put 1" washers on the bolts to spread the load over a bigger area and tightened them up fairly tight. The bolt heads and washers drew up into the fibreglass far enough to cover them with fibreglass and paint them over. Looks like factory and the wing looks like it belongs there.. I've run it at 140 mph and it has budged. In fact I think the hard top cover will stand up better at high speed then the soft tops.

456.. thats an awesome idea! I cant believe i havent thought of that! I have had a little trouble finding the low rider truck lid though, do you have a link or number, etc.. I was looking at snugtop as well.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
301 Posts
THarrell. Post a picture of the 67 Stang. That's my favorite year and I'd like to see how the 429SCJ looks stuffed in the engine bay. Was it a major job? I'd like to try something similar. Thanks. Droopy :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Droopy said:
THarrell. Post a picture of the 67 Stang. That's my favorite year and I'd like to see how the 429SCJ looks stuffed in the engine bay. Was it a major job? I'd like to try something similar. Thanks. Droopy :D
unfortunately Its in Texas, I moved here to Maryland less than a year ago.
but it wasnt to bad to install, you have to rip out the stock front suspension and replace with a "mustang 2" type suspension. Total control products makes a pretty neat suspension package. and check out their rear suspension cage, its awesome. Griggs racing has the mustang 2 suspension of choice is what im told, but kind of pricey. I used heidts IFS.

Tony

http://www.heidts.com/heip17.htm

·
Registered
29 Posts
wheredwhogo? said:
here are a couple pics of mine. i purchased the snugtop SL. they are not the best pics in the world, but it gives you some idea. ill take more when i get home.
I have a Snug SL on order, due here late this week. I have been worried about getting the key in the lock under the wing. Do you have any issues with the clearance?

Also, did you just bolt straight through the top to the wing or did you do anything special to mount it?

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
369 Posts
thats exactly what i did 9 sec..... i bent my key. but you must be careful because they are pretty weak and i broke the first one cuz i pushed it a lil too far i guess. im sure its easy to get new keys, but for the most part i just keep mine unlocked. i did have an idea of taking my broke key and trying to super glue a small washer on the end of it, or attatching it somehow, so that i can just drop the key into the lock and use the washer for leaverage to turn it.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wheredwhogo? said:
here are a couple pics of mine. i purchased the snugtop SL. they are not the best pics in the world, but it gives you some idea. ill take more when i get home.
Does the wing bolt on smoothly without resting on the bedrails?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts