SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously contemplating getting the Quad for my next truck. One question, how is this thing in snow? Not a lot of snow, just a few inches? I am not concerned with major snowfall, because I have access to other trucks, but I would like to drive the SRT as much as possible. I currently own a Viper and just driving it under 40 degrees is an adventure to say the least. Cold pavement and the tires do not mix well.

Ron
98 Viper GTS
68 Shelby gt500kr
05 Expedition
04 Subaru STI
www.zengarageinc.com
www.budgetnorthshore.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont all speak up at once. If you have no opinions on snow, how about cold pavement or rain? Some input would be helpful.

Ron
98 Viper GTS
68 Shelby gt500kr
05 Expedition
04 Subaru STI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
snow?

ahhh no, not yet!! :D LOL


patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,270 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
The only problem you will likely encounter is the light ass-end coupled with a limited slip differential. The rear end when it locks up will cause the truck to spin sideways instead of straight, thats why we sold snow plows for the front of trucks, we made sure they didn't have the limited slip. Just do things the old fashioned way and you probably wont have problems. Either put 10 or so 5 gal buckets over the rear axle and fill full of water so they can freeze, or sand bags,or anything weighing a couple hundred pounds, and let your tire pressure down 5-8 lbs, and use common sense, no rabbit starts, or hard braking. But being cold asphalt, wet asphalt, or frozen, 500 -500- 505 + 4.56 = major lose of adhesion to the asphalt. I'm sure soem of the other guys that live in these areas may have more ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
SRT 10 not designed for cold, snowy conditions...too much power. My SRT and Z06 are parked until late April. Same problem with my Z06 (like your Viper) regarding cold pavement and tires on it...no perfromance. Keep the performance vehicles for pristine driving conditions and use a 4-wheel drive for the nasty driving conditions.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
When I get mine, I will be in the same boat, daily driver no matter what!
If the weather is really snowy (roads covered more then 2 inches) I will take my wife's Pacifica.

I checked the tread on the SRT-10 and it actually looks like an all weather performance tread (versus my Boss' factory WRX/STI tires, which is a couple of grooves in a slick). I think the automatic will be no worse in the weather then a 2wd HEMI with posi. this is what I have now and as long as I take it slow, (key word is SLOW) all is OK. With the stick, maybe a different story but I think again if you take it nice and slow it should be OK.

The POSI actually works very well for starting off (really digs in) but can spin you if you use too much power while driving.

Site :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
QUICKSILVER said:
Yeah..my Paxton has special things you have to do before you even start it up in the COLD, thank God for Santa Monica :p

:cool:
Quick;-)
Huh? What? It was 45 degrees and wet here this morning. I just fired mine up, let it warm up, and took off? What kind of special things?

Craig
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,013 Posts
You have to carress it gently and whisper sweet thoughts in the intake, bring it coffee and breakfast, then gently push the little red g-spot :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
stinker said:
You have to carress it gently and whisper sweet thoughts in the intake, bring it coffee and breakfast, then gently push the little red g-spot :D :D

I like your thinking :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
SRT10x3 said:
Huh? What? It was 45 degrees and wet here this morning. I just fired mine up, let it warm up, and took off? What kind of special things?

Craig
45! When it's 45 here we get the sun screen out! Seriously, 45 degrees here in the dry west (no humidity) is T-shirt weather.

I've been able to drive my truck right up until four days ago when we got a snow storm. Temps haven't gotten out of the high 20s since. My truck stays indoors until the ice melts and the salt is washed off of the roads.

If you do have to drive your truck in the snow, be sure to wash it every two to three days to wash off the salt and other chemicals that are used on the roads. Spray up underneath real well with the highest pressure available. Even still, you're going to see some oxidation.

Hey Durchins, why not use the STI for the snow? Three of my kids drive them and use them regularly to get up to the ski resorts. My wife drives a WRX wagon around all winter. They are great in the snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
drove in some snow this morning in mass. my suggestion....dont even think of taking this out in the snow!! SERIOUSLY. luckily it was only a coastal storm and when i got about 5 miles away from shoreline it was fine (no more snow). i was honestly scared to death when i realized i had no traction what so ever.

dont be a tough guy inn the snow, u will rap your baby around a tree.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
rob8558

I will be driving in like what NJ got today which is a dusting so far to 2 inches . Over that, SRT will stay home and I will take my Wife's Pacifica.


Site 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Sitedrifter said:
rob8558

I will be driving in like what NJ got today which is a dusting so far to 2 inches . Over that, SRT will stay home and I will take my Wife's Pacifica.


Site 8)
i was driving in a dusting....NO traction. i have owned a bmw rwd and vette...the srt is by far the worst.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
rob8558 said:
i was driving in a dusting....NO traction. i have owned a bmw rwd and vette...the srt is by far the worst.

I had this concern but seeing the tread pattern on the tires, it seems too me they are a super high performace all season. I mean they have tread design and depth unlike F1 tires or the bridgestones my Boss's STI has. Those tires look like slicks. My 04 HEMI with 20's seems hairy when first driven but once you take your time, re-learn what you gorfot over the summer, you can work the posi to your benefit (on take off that is). Now the HEMI is not 500 ponies nor a 6 speed so I will have to work my but off even more, give plenty of room in front of me and take off nice and slow. Anyone else try their baby in snow?

I will drive through my development and if I feel it is bad, I will go get my wife's Pacifica. But if the sun comes out, I will go home at lunch and get the SRT-10 :D (live 11 miles from work)

Thanks

Site :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Sitedrifter said:
I had this concern but seeing the tread pattern on the tires, it seems too me they are a super high performace all season. I mean they have tread design and depth unlike F1 tires or the bridgestones my Boss's STI has. Those tires look like slicks. My 04 HEMI with 20's seems hairy when first driven but once you take your time, re-learn what you gorfot over the summer, you can work the posi to your benefit (on take off that is). Now the HEMI is not 500 ponies nor a 6 speed so I will have to work my but off even more, give plenty of room in front of me and take off nice and slow. Anyone else try their baby in snow?

I will drive through my development and if I feel it is bad, I will go get my wife's Pacifica. But if the sun comes out, I will go home at lunch and get the SRT-10 :D (live 11 miles from work)

Thanks

Site :cool:
well, Mine is put up for the winter. It's like 20's and 30's here in the mornings, which isn't bad, but is no fun to wash if you don't have a garage to pull it in where it's warm, so a guy is storing mine (actually it's a body shop) until my garage is done. My wife had an impala she was suppose to sell when she got her Tahoe, but didn't. So I'm going to make it my winter vehicle! Can't stand the thought of salt and road grime being thrown all over the side of it! It's hard to be patient and wait for warm weather again, but I'll make it!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
I am a finatic with cleaning my vehicle. Last winter I was out hosing the underside of my HEMI 3 times a week. I would make room in my garage if I had to and dry clean here with Meguiars quick clean (Awesome stuff)


Site
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top