SRT10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, dumb question.

I bought some of the "cool blue" sylvania bulbs to install in my headlights but cannot figure out how to get the headlamp assembly out. There are 3 screws on the inside edge of the assembly, 2 on a black bracket and 1 on a rubber seal. However, when I remove those somewhere on the outside edge, the assembly is still being held. Before I do something really stupid, I thought someone on this board my know how to get the headlights out.

Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not dumb at all. If I recall my '03 when I did the same, there is a bolt at the base of the headlight at the edge of where the fender meets the headlight just above the top corner of the bumper. I hope that's still right? If not. OOPS! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
look in your owners manual under replacing headlight bulb. thats what i did.

·
Registered
122 Posts
okay. i've remove the two bolts on toward the middle of the truck and the 1 on the outside edge under the headlamp assembly. There is still something toward the outside of the truck which is holding the headlamp assembly (loosly) in the truck. The directions in the owners manual don't talk about anything else. Anyone else find this problem on their 05, and what is the solution?

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
If I remember right you need to go up through the wheel well to get to the last one.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Negative. There are 3 screws as you stated, plus one small screw that you can almost pull out - 4 total. The small screw using a small phillips right above the two on the main frame, one above the other. The third screw, is the tough one on the outside corner of the light fixture underneath the light. Once all four screws are out, you just need to pull firmly. There is a pinch, for lack of a better name, that holds the main light housing frame in place. You can get to the left front one through the air duct for the intake. But what you really need is a good tug to get it out. I've done it several times on both of my 1500 trucks. It seems to get easier after each try. The right one you won't be able to feel because the fuze box and window fluid blocks it. It's not the best design to pull them out, however they won't get loose any time soon.

So you should have 4 total screws, 3 being the same size (10 or 12 mm) and 1 being a small phillips head plastic screw. ;)

I think Boomer has some pics of the housing taken out - Look up HID kit on the forum.

·
Registered
546 Posts
whoop72 said:
okay. i've remove the two bolts on toward the middle of the truck and the 1 on the outside edge under the headlamp assembly. There is still something toward the outside of the truck which is holding the headlamp assembly (loosly) in the truck. The directions in the owners manual don't talk about anything else. Anyone else find this problem on their 05, and what is the solution?
There is 4 total including the rubber seal screw on the outside edge of the headlight. After those are removed there is a snap fitting behind the headlight assembly that holds it in there. Carefully tug on the headlight, pulling toward you as your facing the front of the truck. It will pop out. Good luck!

·
Registered
546 Posts
John Holmes said:
Negative. There are 3 screws as you stated, plus one small screw that you can almost pull out - 4 total. The small screw using a small phillips right above the two on the main frame, one above the other. The third screw, is the tough one on the outside corner of the light fixture underneath the light. Once all four screws are out, you just need to pull firmly. There is a pinch, for lack of a better name, that holds the main light housing frame in place. You can get to the left front one through the air duct for the intake. But what you really need is a good tug to get it out. I've done it several times on both of my 1500 trucks. It seems to get easier after each try. The right one you won't be able to feel because the fuze box and window fluid blocks it. It's not the best design to pull them out, however they won't get loose any time soon.

So you should have 4 total screws, 3 being the same size (10 or 12 mm) and 1 being a small phillips head plastic screw. ;)

I think Boomer has some pics of the housing taken out - Look up HID kit on the forum.
Sorry John. You beat me to it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you're just replacing the bulbs, why would you take the entire light fixture out? I replaced my bulbs with the silverstars, and just twisted the lock 1/4 turn counter clockwise, puled the bulb out, removed it from the wire harness and replaced it with the new ones. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to feel around for it, but I bet it's way easier than removing the entire fixture.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you're just replacing the bulbs, why would you take the entire light fixture out? I replaced my bulbs with the silverstars, and just twisted the lock 1/4 turn counter clockwise, puled the bulb out, removed it from the wire harness and replaced it with the new ones. Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to feel around for it, but I bet it's way easier than removing the entire fixture.
The left side you can get away with the above method for the main, but I don't know if you could get the turn(s) that way. Plus, the right side the main is blocked, at least on the 05 QC. The fogs you can get from underneath the vehicle. Probably just as easy to remove your cats or install high flows. ;)

It's only 4 bolts and pull. :cool:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sorry John. You beat me to it.
It's all good. :) Service is number one on this forum! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts